advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
a couple of iPhone setup questions
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 29, 2017 07:23PM
1. Since buying my iPhone SE several months ago, my previous iPhone 5s has just been sitting in a drawer "just in case". Well, the other day I saw my brother tediously texting someone using his old flip phone and I thought it might be nice to offer him the 5s. The thing is, he doesn't own (nor does he plan to get) a computer. Can he still effectively use an iPhone without access to a computer?

2. Also, I noticed when I log onto iTunes with my computer I see that the only device associated with my Apple ID is (for example) "john Smith's iPhone". Well, that was the default and I never bothered to change it when I set it up. But that was also the ID associated with my old 5s. How do I de-activate that ID from the 5s without also deactivating my SE?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: a couple of iPhone setup questions
Posted by: Golfer
Date: December 29, 2017 07:26PM
1. Yes, works fine without a computer.

2. If you are still signed in the your Apple ID on the old phone, simply sign-out. The easiest thing to do to get rid off all your settings and data on the phone would be to restore it as a new phone using iTunes.
Date: December 29, 2017 07:34PM
Golfer
1. Yes, works fine without a computer.

2. If you are still signed in the your Apple ID on the old phone, simply sign-out. The easiest thing to do to get rid off all your settings and data on the phone would be to restore it as a new phone using iTunes.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is restoring as new phone using iTunes better than simple doing a reset with General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings?
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 29, 2017 07:52PM
Millions and millions never use a phone with a computer.

General reset works great. Setup 2 older iPads this week that same way for brand new people, reset and done.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 29, 2017 08:09PM
Note: you have to turn off "Find my iPhone" to fully reset it. If this is not done the phone will stay tied to your Apple account. I think it prompts you to do this.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: December 29, 2017 08:09PM
Okay, thanks. So it seems the key is to first turn off Find My Phone, log out of iTunes and App Store, and iCloud if necessary, then Reset.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 29, 2017 09:04PM
Apple has a step by step guide.

[support.apple.com]
Date: December 29, 2017 10:08PM
Yep. That's what I found and used.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 30, 2017 12:09AM
jdc
Millions and millions never use a phone with a computer.

my son hasn't had a computer for over two years now. the iPhone IS his computer.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015