advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tesla Model 3-"experience what is clearly the future"
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 01, 2018 10:48AM
Linked below is a great article about how the Model 3 is the future, and I wholeheartedly agree. I recently participated in the delivery and set up of Model 3s to two different couples that have never had a Tesla, or any EV. Besides being a bit overwhelmed, they are loving the new way to drive. They, in no way purchased because it was an EV. I feel many EV advocates are so focused on the environment that they forget that mainstream car buyer wants convenience, comfort, performance and safety. The small niche that has the environment as the main and overarching concern already has or, at least knows about EVs. It is the mainstream car buyer that needs to be convinced. I think Tesla, now with a car that will start at $35,000 (average selling price of new cars sold in the US), coupled with the safety, low maintenance and extensive charging network, Tesla is the answer. It costs much less to produce the car, and as battery prices drop, it is less than 5 years until BEV (Battery Electric Vehicles) will cost much less than ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) cars.

Since March 3, 2015, less than 3 years, I have logged over 80,000 miles owning just a Tesla-No other car needed. Check out the charging network. Note-each Supercharger location is just like a gas station-they average 8 stalls per location, with two 40 stall Supercharger just opened.
[supercharge.info]
[www.tesla.com]
Happy New Year!

TLDNR from the article.
An honest testimony about Model 3 by a professional driver and a strong BMW enthusiast!
"As I stood there—minding my reflection—it was clear that I was staring at the future. This car is a game-changer; it will be relatively attainable compared to its predecessors, and it was even able to satisfy the driving bias of an old-school BMW-lover like me. I really didn’t want to like it, but I found little to complain about.
I was grateful to have the opportunity to participate in the film and contribute to its subject’s noble cause, but I couldn’t help contemplating that something greater was occurring in that fading sunlight. It was an intersection of the past and the future, one where an old-school driving enthusiast like me could experience what is clearly the future—and not have to relinquish the experience that I hold dear.—Alex McCulloch"

[www.bmwcca.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tesla Model 3-"experience what is clearly the future"
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 01, 2018 10:55AM
I wonder how they do at 30 below like it is in N MN today?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 01, 2018 10:59AM
Right chopper. And for me, any car must go 500 miles before charging, unless I could recharge as easily as now filling up gasoline. Not that I drive 500 miles in one day, but sometimes I do. These batteries must withstand chopper weather.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 01, 2018 11:00AM
chopper

They are very successful in Norway, so they must be OK in cold weather. My Chevy Volt gets only 20-25 miles now, I hope the range goes back to 35 as weather improves.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 01, 2018 11:15AM
My next car will likely be an autonomous EV -
Or one I just rent as needed.

But my current hybrid still gets nearly 40 mpg even after 12 years.

The issue with Tesla is now showing they can MAKE enough of the model 3 cheaply and build out their charging network.

Elon needs to make charging stations open for all EVs.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 01, 2018 11:25AM
chopper

Do people actually go anywhere when it’s that cold?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 01, 2018 11:30AM
I'd be interested in one if they had more cargo space. The Model X was a big disappointment. They are the future.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: January 01, 2018 11:34AM
sekker

Why? and if he did that, would you expect the charge to be free or paid?
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: January 01, 2018 11:35AM
The maps don't show charging stations anywhere near where I live. Maybe they need to be updated because I'm pretty sure that Roanoke, VA has some. I do see Teslas around this area, so they have to have some nearby somewhere.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: billb
Date: January 01, 2018 11:48AM
space-time
chopper

They are very successful in Norway, so they must be OK in cold weather. My Chevy Volt gets only 20-25 miles now, I hope the range goes back to 35 as weather improves.

They're popular in Norway by those who can afford them, not so popular with those who can not.
Not so popular with those that can afford them when the driving perks are taken away.
Not so popular when there is little snow, the water supplies behind the hydro plants diminishes and the price of electricity skyrockets.
Most of them are in the cushy warm parts of Southern and warmed by the Gulf Stream coastal Norway.

Take the incentives away and sales drop like a rock.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 01, 2018 12:04PM
M A V I C
I'd be interested in one if they had more cargo space. The Model X was a big disappointment. They are the future.

They fixed the problem with fixed rear seats. The second row in the Model X now folds.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:07PM
CJsNvrUrly
The maps don't show charging stations anywhere near where I live. Maybe they need to be updated because I'm pretty sure that Roanoke, VA has some. I do see Teslas around this area, so they have to have some nearby somewhere.

Haven't checked the map in the link, but it probably only shows Tesla-branded "superchargers". Many other places have charging stations. Dropped a car off a couple of days ago at a AAA service center for an oil change, and they had a set of electric chargers at the back of the lot, and another near the front. Some of the places offer free charging, and some make you pay for it.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:10PM
My middle kid plays AAU and HS basketball. We are traveling every weekend no matter what the weather is. By the full gyms I can only assume a ton of other people are too.

It's just cold. It's not like there's an uncontrollable fire or a hurricane ready to take the place to the foundation.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:18PM
space-time
sekker

Paid of course.

The last thing we need is a competing charging plug war for EV adoption.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:18PM
chopper
My middle kid plays AAU and HS basketball. We are traveling every weekend no matter what the weather is. By the full gyms I can only assume a ton of other people are too.

It's just cold. It's not like there's an uncontrollable fire or a hurricane ready to take the place to the foundation.

We go out in this weather all the time. If we didnt, I’d never get to work ...
Date: January 01, 2018 12:21PM
GuyGene
Right chopper. And for me, any car must go 500 miles before charging, unless I could recharge as easily as now filling up gasoline. Not that I drive 500 miles in one day, but sometimes I do. These batteries must withstand chopper weather.

Not sure about the weather, but solid-state batteries may fix the distance and charging time issues.

[www2.technologyreview.com]

Sastry’s solid-state batteries are still based on lithium-ion technology, but they replace the liquid electrolyte with a thin layer of material that’s not flammable. Solid-state batteries are also resilient: some prototypes demonstrated by other groups can survive thousands of charge-discharge cycles. And they can withstand high temperatures, which will make it possible to use materials that can double or triple a battery’s energy density (the amount of energy stored in a given volume) but that are too dangerous or unreliable for use in a conventional lithium-ion battery.

Toyota may have them as soon as 2020:
[www.forbes.com]

Might even resurrect Fisker:
[www.greencarreports.com]

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:21PM
sekker
space-time
sekker

Paid of course.

I think that war has already started. I looked at a public EV charging station at a rest area on NJ Turnpike and those connectors looked different from the plug on my VOLT. And the Tesla supercharged next it it had a totally different connector. So even if Elon allowed me to pay and use Tesla superchargers, I would need some sort of adapters. Besides the Tesla charged with DC, my car needs AC.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:22PM
chopper
Yes, good point--sorry, I live in California-range suffers significantly in the cold. You can now pre-heat the car and battery while connected to any charger. As batteries get more capacity, they can heat themselves to somewhat mitigate this.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:27PM
GuyGene

500 miles is definitely not in the mainstream. You could order the new $200,000 Roadster 2 with 620 miles of range---the 1.9 0-60MPH. No--not mainstream [www.tesla.com]

On my recent 3700 mile eclipse road trip, I had 3 days where we covered over 500 miles. My time charging was about 60 minutes if you deduct the time charging while eating lunch.

Your future isn't here yet...it is more in the future :-)
Date: January 01, 2018 12:28PM
sekker
space-time
sekker

Paid of course.

Already here.

The Tesla superchargers use a proprietary Tesla connector. The system for managing "high-speed" charging is quite sophisticated. Tesla might be able to add standard 220-240v plugs to the superchargers, but they'd either have to open standards or work with other auto makers to allow full power from the superchargers to charge non-Tesla vehicles.

And Tesla is building the supercharger network (for now) as part of its marketing of Teslas.
The Tesla superchargers can't handle two vehicles at full power, and some have been finicky even with one vehicle. Tesla owners are very picky about trying to get to one which will give them a full-speed charge. It would not go over well with the Tesla owners to open these limited spots to other vehicles.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:35PM
space-time
think that war has already started. I looked at a public EV charging station at a rest area on NJ Turnpike and those connectors looked different from the plug on my VOLT. And the Tesla supercharged next it it had a totally different connector. So even if Elon allowed me to pay and use Tesla superchargers, I would need some sort of adapters. Besides the Tesla charged with DC, my car needs AC.

The battery in the Volt charges with DC. GM just decided that it was easier for consumers to be able to plug directly into household current (AC), so they built the DC converter into the car. Teslas come with an external AC to DC converter for household use, and the necessary plugs for 110v or 220v connections. GM could have done the same.

Bet the GM Bolt uses a system more like Tesla's.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:35PM
sekker
My next car will likely be an autonomous EV -
Or one I just rent as needed.

But my current hybrid still gets nearly 40 mpg even after 12 years.

The issue with Tesla is now showing they can MAKE enough of the model 3 cheaply and build out their charging network.

Tesla has opened the patents, and has encouraged other companies to use the Superchargers by just paying their portion of the cost. Most mainstream car companies are too arrogant. VW is spending $2.5 Billion of the Dieselgate settlement installing a charging network. In a few years you will see charging in equal or faster than fueling. The battery longevity is the hold up, not the charging capability.

They are building them pretty fast. Here is a video I took yesterday at the factory
[www.youtube.com]
Date: January 01, 2018 12:43PM
CJsNvrUrly

With 300 mile of range, you only need charging stations within about 100 miles. Charging at home happens at night while you sleep, just like you phone. It costs around $0.03/ per mile of electricity.

Yes, it takes longer to charge on long trips, but you don't have to spend 10-15 minutes getting gas for 90% of your local driving (100 mile radius).
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 01, 2018 12:45PM
sekker

If you've ever been kept waiting at a busy Supercharger, you KNOW this isn't ever going to happen.

While it's nice to have the option to go somewhere to get a bite to eat while you're reloading the battery, when you have to wait for an opening - and then possibly get dinged if you don't move your car as soon as it's done - there's not much room for fun. And at some of the busier SCs here in the Golden State, it's been that way for some time.
Date: January 01, 2018 12:52PM
Ken Sp.
...but you don't have to spend 10-15 minutes getting gas for 90% of your local driving (100 mile radius).

I could be wrong, but filling my car does not take 10-15 min. more like 5 min. We have full serve here in NJ, so sometimes you wait for the attendant. But still I don't think it comes even close to 10 min.
Date: January 01, 2018 01:05PM
space-time
Ken Sp.
...but you don't have to spend 10-15 minutes getting gas for 90% of your local driving (100 mile radius).

I could be wrong, but filling my car does not take 10-15 min. more like 5 min. We have full serve here in NJ, so sometimes you wait for the attendant. But still I don't think it comes even close to 10 min.

10-15 minutes is including the time taken driving to the gas station, even if while doing other things, possibly waiting in line--OK I will give you 5-10 minutes. As much as I drive, I was getting gas twice a week, so I was wasting at least 15 minutes a week getting gas or waiting in line. It takes me 5 seconds to plug in when I get out of my car. In the big picture, I am "banking" that 15 minutes a week, and when I travel, I make time "withdrawals". I am still way ahead in time taken when it is all added up. It is a different paradigm, and the total time getting gas vs plugging in needs to be the calculation.
Date: January 01, 2018 02:19PM
<<Here is a video I took yesterday at the factory >>

I smell a salesman.
Date: January 01, 2018 06:26PM
Winston
M A V I C

They fixed the problem with fixed rear seats. The second row in the Model X now folds.

- W

Still not even close to a medium sized SUV. Most have 40cf or more behind the 2nd row. Tesla needs one with 35cf plus the ability to use a roof box or it's a non starter for me. The VW Atlas has 55.5cf behind the second row.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 01, 2018 06:27PM
Then you need the Tesla pick-up with a canopy. Give it a few years.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 01, 2018 06:46PM
I give it 18 months before Tesla announces a pick-up. Probably going to take an additional two years before it hits the streets. Maybe closer to three years, so, about 4 years - but they could jump that gun if the Model 3 chassis and susbsystems can be used for a pick up.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 01, 2018 06:49PM
Racer X
Then you need the Tesla pick-up with a canopy. Give it a few years.

No, just a normal sized SUV. Something the size of an Atlas or 4Runner. I still want it to fit in the garage and carry 4, plus handle well in the city.

Date: January 01, 2018 06:52PM
FWIW, a Suburban has almost 77cf behind the 2nd row. I don't need that much.

I can't find numbers for the Model X behind the 2nd row, but if you compare the other numbers you see how incapable it is. My wagon has 33cf plus a 21cf roof box.

Date: January 01, 2018 06:55PM
M A V I C
Winston
M A V I C

- W

Still not even close to a medium sized SUV. Most have 40cf or more behind the 2nd row. Tesla needs one with 35cf plus the ability to use a roof box or it's a non starter for me. The VW Atlas has 55.5cf behind the second row.

OK, at least you have other choices. Isn't that nice?
Date: January 01, 2018 09:27PM
chopper
<<Here is a video I took yesterday at the factory >>

I smell a salesman.

The people "selling" in the stores are similar to the "sales people" in the Apple stores.
Tesla doesn't really have any sales people. They have people in the Tesla owned stores that do not get commission. They are very low key, and frankly, Tesla is discouraging any hype from within the company on the Model 3 since there are over 400,000 reserved-site unseen. Admittedly, I think that less than 50% of those will be real sales, but, that just means new buyers could order and get the car in less than 12 months.

Nope--I am just and owner and a stockholder. After seeing two friends get theirs, I was just very impressed.
Date: January 01, 2018 09:31PM
Paul F.
I give it 18 months before Tesla announces a pick-up. Probably going to take an additional two years before it hits the streets. Maybe closer to three years, so, about 4 years - but they could jump that gun if the Model 3 chassis and susbsystems can be used for a pick up.

That timeline is pretty close to what is predicted. Elon Musk said that they will do a pickup, around the size of an F-150, right after they do the Model Y. Model Y is next up, it will be a smaller SUV/Crossover built on the Model 3 chassis. Tesla waited until after the Models 3 since it is expected to sell more than the Model 3 sedan. Walk before they run.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 01, 2018 10:00PM
I really don't know much about EV now, but very interested. I've seen the site that gives the costs per gallon, about 50% for electric. I'm not sure about the subsidies, if there are any, by taxes. Don't know if I'm for or against it yet. Total cost of ownership is very important to me also. And comfort in all areas, size, heat and cool air in very cold and hot humid climates where I drive. I might could compromise on my wishful 500 mile range and maybe 200 or so could work for me. I'd put a charging port at my house if I had EV. Tesla truck? Must be F150 size and capabilities with 4x4, high ground clearance, etc. all the niceties of my current F150, and same towing power, 10,300 pounds. A lot for an electric truck, not torque and power, but driving distance.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 10:01PM by GuyGene.
Date: January 01, 2018 10:26PM
Ken Sp.
Paul F.

That timeline is pretty close to what is predicted. Elon Musk said that they will do a pickup, around the size of an F-150, right after they do the Model Y. Model Y is next up, it will be a smaller SUV/Crossover built on the Model 3 chassis. Tesla waited until after the Models 3 since it is expected to sell more than the Model 3 sedan. Walk before they run.

That's sad to hear. The Model X ended up being a lot smaller than anticipated. And they're going to make an even smaller one? Oy. Well, I know they're just going after the money. Eg, Audi started with the Q7 and then the Q5. Mid-sized, then smaller. After that, the Q3 which is very compact. Even though the length of the X is closer to a Q7, the sloped roofline puts its capacity closer to the Q5. So they appear to be going for small and compact first.

I finally pulled some numbers on the rear cargo space in the Model X. They don't provide them, unlike every other car MFG. Behind the 2nd row, 48" deep, 38" wide, 18" at its lowest point, 28" at its highest point. That comes out to just over 24cf of cargo space. The Q5 has 29cf. The frunk is an awkward space, which has maybe 10cf. But since it's oddly shaped, it won't be well utilized.

Date: January 01, 2018 10:38PM
"That's sad to hear. The Model X ended up being a lot smaller than anticipated. And they're going to make an even smaller one? Oy. Well, I know they're just going after the money."

Seattle is teaming with Subaru Crosstreks. People are buying tiny AWD crossovers. And those goofy Mini XLs and Fiat 500Ls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 11:06PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 01, 2018 10:48PM
GuyGene
I really don't know much about EV now, but very interested. I've seen the site that gives the costs per gallon, about 50% for electric. I'm not sure about the subsidies, if there are any, by taxes. Don't know if I'm for or against it yet. Total cost of ownership is very important to me also. And comfort in all areas, size, heat and cool air in very cold and hot humid climates where I drive. I might could compromise on my wishful 500 mile range and maybe 200 or so could work for me. I'd put a charging port at my house if I had EV. Tesla truck? Must be F150 size and capabilities with 4x4, high ground clearance, etc. all the niceties of my current F150, and same towing power, 10,300 pounds. A lot for an electric truck, not torque and power, but driving distance.

Electric delivery trucks are going to be common for companies like UPS. Ramping up production can take a good ten years, much like it did going from horses to horseless carriages. But the electric future is coming and it will be here in our lifetime. Gasoline will be a thing of the past.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: January 01, 2018 11:31PM
Racer X
"That's sad to hear. The Model X ended up being a lot smaller than anticipated. And they're going to make an even smaller one? Oy. Well, I know they're just going after the money."

Seattle is teaming with Subaru Crosstreks. People are buying tiny AWD crossovers. And those goofy Mini XLs and Fiat 500Ls.

Not sure on the Mini, but the other two have 20-25cf. Not much less than the Model X.

Date: January 02, 2018 12:27AM
Yes, but they are selling well here, so maybe the tiny Tesla will too. Most can't afford a house here, so low 6 figures for a loaded Tesla is easy for quite a few.
Date: January 02, 2018 08:25AM
M A V I C
Ken Sp.
Paul F.

That's sad to hear. The Model X ended up being a lot smaller than anticipated. And they're going to make an even smaller one? Oy. Well, I know they're just going after the money. Eg, Audi started with the Q7 and then the Q5. Mid-sized, then smaller. After that, the Q3 which is very compact. Even though the length of the X is closer to a Q7, the sloped roofline puts its capacity closer to the Q5. So they appear to be going for small and compact first.

I finally pulled some numbers on the rear cargo space in the Model X. They don't provide them, unlike every other car MFG. Behind the 2nd row, 48" deep, 38" wide, 18" at its lowest point, 28" at its highest point. That comes out to just over 24cf of cargo space. The Q5 has 29cf. The frunk is an awkward space, which has maybe 10cf. But since it's oddly shaped, it won't be well utilized.

I agree, the X is more of a "soccer mom" people hauler with 5, 6 or 7 seat configurations, especially with the Falcon Wing doors, which many people love, I dislike them. There is a few cubic feet of storage space below the trunk floor that is easily accessed. My Model S has more accessible cargo space than all except the 5 seat Model X. I have a strong rack I can mount on the Sunroof version of the Model S, the Model X cannot have a roof rack, this is my main gripe about the Falcon Wing doors.
Date: January 02, 2018 08:59AM
Racer X
Yes, but they are selling well here, so maybe the tiny Tesla will too. Most can't afford a house here, so low 6 figures for a loaded Tesla is easy for quite a few.

Financially, I understand their decision. The Rav4 outsells the 4Runner by about 3:1. People liked them jacked up compact cars.

Date: January 02, 2018 11:42AM
Another well done post
[jalopnik.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 02, 2018 01:12PM
Racer X

I'd buy a Crosstrek in a heartbeat... if it were larger with a more powerful engine.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 02, 2018 02:20PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X

I'd buy a Crosstrek in a heartbeat... if it were larger with a more powerful engine.

But what if they called it an Ascent? [www.subaru.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 02, 2018 04:03PM
It's a beautiful car but really what does it do other than being a car. Staring at a car. I do wish I had a microwave oven in a car.
Date: January 02, 2018 04:47PM
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X

Wow, I hadn't seen that yet. It might be another option for me. 44cf behind the 2nd row - nearly double the Model X. Plus it has better roof rails than the outback, so easy to add another 20cf on top.

Date: January 02, 2018 05:11PM
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X

I saw the Ascent at the L.A. Auto Show last month; in fact, the primary reason I went to the show was to look at it. It's a good-looking vehicle and Subaru's gonna sell a ton of them, but it may be a little on the too-large side for my needs.

And the body design is fundamentally different than that of the Crosstrek, which I like very much.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 05:13PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: January 02, 2018 05:14PM
M A V I C
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X

Wow, I hadn't seen that yet. It might be another option for me. 44cf behind the 2nd row - nearly double the Model X. Plus it has better roof rails than the outback, so easy to add another 20cf on top.

Pricing should be comparable to the Outback, FYI.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015