advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So THIS is what its like to be a guitar GOD...
Posted by: hal
Date: January 01, 2018 04:20PM
I went on a youtube plunge last night - my god... there is just endless discoveries to make there...

Here's one. Stevie Ray Vaughn soundcheck. He's clearly is just waking up... yawning... stretching... plugs in a guitar, plays a few notes, then BAM! Straight to world class playing in one second. I'd trade my soul to do this...

Best comment: This dude throws a yawn, picks his nose then straight up crushes the sound check....yup he's ready for the show.....

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 05:48PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So THIS is what its like to be a guitar GOD...
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 01, 2018 04:45PM
Better comment:

I wish people would stop comparing SRV to Jesus. I know he is great and all that but he aint no Stevie Ray Vaughan.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 01, 2018 06:20PM
Don't listen to jdc, hal! Saw V twice before he made the One Dumb Mistake. While many said he was just a Hendrix copycat, he had been around a long while playing blues and other styles before his Jimi covers got him noticed.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 01, 2018 06:24PM
Awesome!
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 01, 2018 07:08PM
DP
Don't listen to jdc, hal!

I think you should read that comment again...big grin smiley

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: January 01, 2018 07:28PM
I saw Stevie in a college gymnasium in chicago in something like 1981 plus or minus a year..he did hendrix and he did his stuff and some up blues..and he @#$%& smoked that place..and by that time in my life i was very sick of the blues...But this dude just ripped it..huge sound, huge dinned groove..i went with a bud who said 'i got this ticket, you gotta check this guy out'..no clue who stevie was..something i'll never forget

I never stuck as a fan in any way...never saw him again and never wanted to..i had seen what i saw and it was something that didn't seem like was still happening later in his career..so i've managed to keep that memory nice and clean..

: )

and yes!

That comment up there mussed me up too for a sec..but the realization of it as tricky compliment. backwardly helped me see into my slowing neurological responses and why I'm always sitting on the can in a total @#$%& trance, for 20 minutes to a little over and hour, a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 07:33PM by Kraniac.
Date: January 01, 2018 07:52PM
The only time I saw him was in a double bill with Jeff Beck. Dec 1989 - less than a year before he died.

He was clean and sober and LOVING life. He just couldn't contain himself - he HAD to tell the crowd how great it was to be sober. It was clear that this was a guy that had just figured it out... he was gonna be ok.

And he was amazing... I think better than the material I had seen of his playing drunk out of his mind. What a loss.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: January 01, 2018 08:26PM
interesting, Hal..i never knew much about him..didn't know he had use issues..

but it was a definite darker vibe than his later stuff and after reading your post it occurs to me that it could have been that, that contributed to it..lot of great great music made under the influence tho..sort of hand in hand with rock, blues, jazz too.

walked out of there with our jaws on the floor..speechless. Everyone in the place was same way..everyone was talking about it on the way out..lots of expressionate 'hoooly @#$%&' and whatnot..

EDIT= My friend was a stone cold blues freak and mainly a Stevie freak and was at the last Alpine Valley show just before he died..Mike..my friend is all over my news feed every day with pics from blues stuff he goes too..records collected, autographs..he's retired now and it's all he does..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 08:29PM by Kraniac.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 02, 2018 04:43AM
Passed on the chance to see SRV in 1985 - I've never forgiven myself for that one.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 02, 2018 08:32AM
....Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 02, 2018 11:05AM
I saw him in Hawaii in the mid-80s. He was billed together with Run-D.M.C. and ZZ Top.

Weird show.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 02, 2018 11:26AM
Lux Interior
I saw him in Hawaii in the mid-80s. He was billed together with Run-D.M.C. and ZZ Top.

Weird show.

He was definitely the low man on the totem pole out of that group during that era.

I saw ZZ Top at Stagecoach a couple of years ago - they CRUSHED it. Those guys definitely still got it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 02, 2018 11:53AM
.......what if God.....was once of us......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 02, 2018 12:39PM
There used to be this awesome little Pub in Yakima WA called Bob's Keg and Cork. Bob was a goofy guy, but he liked the good things in life. He always had great beer, wine and good food. Periodically he'd have live music. Usually nothing to brag about, but always entertaining. A few months after my son was born my wife and I had a rare date night. We went to Bob's and ordered some food and a couple of beers. There's this guy setting up in the corner. I asked Bob if he was any good. Bob said he had no idea. The guy was coming through town and asked if he could play a few songs to promote his new CD. The guy proceeded to blow my mind away with some amazing blues guitar work. My wife later told me that she wished I'd stared at her the way I stared at that guy. His name was Mark Lemhouse. This is the album he was promoting:

[smile.amazon.com]

I definitely was not expecting to experience a performance like that in a little hole in the wall in Yakima on a Tuesday.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 02, 2018 02:34PM
hal
...I'd trade my soul to do this...

The secret to playing like that is the coat, my friend.

A true master gone way too soon.

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 02:41PM by JoeM.
Date: January 02, 2018 02:42PM
JoeM
hal
...I'd trade my soul to do this...

The secret to playing like that is the coat, my friend.

A true master gone way too soon.

A lot of the comments discuss the power of boogers - I need to look into this...
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 02, 2018 02:45PM
Guitar God is proper. Love that
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 02, 2018 04:29PM
I never got to see Stevie play live. I'm still mad at him for leaving the world about a year before I moved to Austin.

One near-miss: when I was in college the Rolling Stones played Grant Field at Georgia Tech. A buddy and I drove up to try and score some cheap tickets (we wound up paying a Coca-Cola seller $20 to sneak us in the vendor gate), and stopped at the local chapter of our fraternity to grab a beer and a bathroom stop before the show.

Their living room was trashed, they'd obviously just had a huge party. The remnants of a stage were still standing at one end of it. "Who played your party?" I asked one of the guys. "Stevie Ray Vaughan," he replied. "One of his managers is an alumni, they shot a new video here yesterday."

Yeah, it was this: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 04:31PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 02, 2018 05:52PM
I saw SRV at the Stanley Theatre in Utica NY in the mid 80's. It was an awesome venue. There was no opening act. However, his brother Jimmie took the stage with him for a few songs.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 02, 2018 09:43PM
My sister came to visit me in Ann Arbor and said, oh yeah, we are going to see Stevie Ray Vaughn this weekend, and I was like "ok". I don't think I had ever heard of him. But he was awesome; as everyone else here says and the video makes obvious: he just picks up his guitar and music just comes pouring out.

Edit: looks like 4/13/1990

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 09:51PM by michaelb.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 03, 2018 08:39AM
Saw srv in 1985, I think, at the Newport Jazz Festival as a teen.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 04, 2018 07:42AM
Never saw SRV. Would love to see Derek Trucks: Derek at 13
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 05, 2018 08:12AM
macphanatic
Never saw SRV. Would love to see Derek Trucks: Derek at 13

Now I did see Derek, and when he was technically several years too young to be in the bar (one of the big beach clubs in Panama City, FL) that he was playing at. I think he was 15 or 16, opening for Gov't Mule. Made me want to go home and smash my guitars.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015