advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tires question
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 02, 2018 09:31PM
The tread on the front tires of my MINI Clubman are more worn than the tread on the back two. I took it to the dealer today to have him put the better tread on the drive wheels, it being winter and all, but he said that the current theory is that the better tread should be on the back wheels to prevent fish tailing.

I would think that better drive traction would be preferable to what to my mind is unlikely fishtailing, at least on this small car.

What do you know about this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tires question
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 02, 2018 09:38PM
that is the current thinking. My question is why the significant difference front and rear? My Escape wore pretty evenly, as does my Prius, and my Sable. Same with the partner's Merc Mountaineer.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 02, 2018 09:42PM
agree smiley Yeah, I want to find out.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: January 02, 2018 09:51PM
[www.michelinman.com]

Michelin has a video showing two cars driving on a wet course; best tires in back and the car skidded but stayed straight. Best tires on the rear and the car spun out.

The safety consideration mentioned here:
[www.souzastireservice.com]
says that for one thing, when the front tires start to lose grip, you feel it in the steering wheel and react more quickly. When the back loses grip, you don't know it until the car is swinging around, too late to do anything. And the way you turn the wheel is different when the skid is in the front than when it is in the rear (who knew?)

The Michelin video has the cars going fast into the wet pavement skid, probably irrelevant for city driving but maybe pertinent for highway speeds.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 02, 2018 10:12PM
Racer X
that is the current thinking. My question is why the significant difference front and rear? My Escape wore pretty evenly, as does my Prius, and my Sable. Same with the partner's Merc Mountaineer.

All the front wheel drive cars we have owned have had much faster wear on the front tires than on the back ones. Only our minivan gets a lot of miles each year - I probably should have it on a shorter rotation schedule than every 6 months, as it's the only one where this has become an issue.

Do make sure that the fronts aren't down to the wear strip.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 02, 2018 10:24PM
This is 100% a liability thing. It has nothing to do with what's better. If it's only a couple 32nds difference, rotate them.

There's another thread here from a year or two ago on the same topic. It boils down to what is going to be less likely to cause a tire shop (or in this case the dealer) to lose a lawsuit, or at least the more expensive lawsuits.

More grip in the front helps you 1) brake faster (since most of your braking power is in the front) and 2) grip better to climb hills or control on slippery roads.

More grip in the rear prevents the back end from coming around. It helps ensure if you're going to crash into something, you do it from the front where the airbags and seat belts are more likely to help you. If you can't handle your car and the back end comes around, the damage will likely be greater - both to the car and to the passengers.

It's a matter of oversteer vs understeer. 10 times out of 10 I'll pick oversteer, at least with the cars I tend to drive.

The video linked to above is ridiculous. The first thing you can tell is that ESP is disabled. You can see the tires fully lock up. The second thing is the driver was asked to drive much faster with the new tires in the front. The third issue was they were asked to hit the brakes - but only with the new tires in the front, not the rear. In a corner like that, at high speed, with ESP disabled, the brakes locked up, even new tires on the rear are going to come around.

The final farce with that video is the line of "now counter steer. it doesn't work like they tell you it will." The tires are locked up. They also tell you about weight distribution and if your back end is coming around, you want the weight there, so you need to be on the throttle, not the brakes. And, again, they screwed with the car's handling so the wheels lock.

As the link does say, new tires in the front help with straight line braking. ESP on most cars will kick in and keep the car straight and the back end from coming around. Heck, ESP on most cars will keep the back end from coming around even if you try really, really hard.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 02, 2018 10:28PM
Walmart makes you sign a liability release if you put the new ones on the front.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 02, 2018 11:32PM
M A V I C
There's another thread here from a year or two ago on the same topic. ...

"When buying only 2 new tires, put them on the REAR." [forums.macresource.com]

FU: To the where to put new tires thread [forums.macresource.com]

Too many variables. It depends on relative wear between tires, FWD or RWD, how new the vehicle is, if it has traction-control/stability-control/etc., weather conditions and driver skill.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 03, 2018 12:25AM
What Filliam and M A V I C said.
Date: January 03, 2018 12:33AM
I noticed that in the video they treated the driving very differently. Kind of like the those old Corvair videos!

Eric the car guy likes best tires on the front:
[www.youtube.com]

Other videos have other opinions.

As suggested... lots of variables.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 03, 2018 07:03AM
Because 98% of drivers really have no idea how to drive and control a car. With worn tires in the rear AND wet or snow conditions the read of he car may slide first causing an 'oversteer' condition and most drivers will have no idea how to deal with it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 03, 2018 07:31AM
....tread lightly....folks.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 03, 2018 07:37AM
Once resolved, do rotate more frequently....

(I'll note that with FWD I always preferred to have the better tires in the front in winter, but then again I know how to power out of skids using FWD.)
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 03, 2018 07:49AM
I would put the better tires on the front. If you are worried about sliding in rain or water, you are driving too fast or doing something wrong, or the rear tires should be replaced too. Here, we worry about ice and snow daily, and so the difference in traction (accelerating, steering and braking) with better tires on the front is obvious.

Antilock brakes should help prevent the rear from coming around on braking.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 03, 2018 08:31AM
Don C
The tread on the front tires of my MINI Clubman are more worn than the tread on the back two. I took it to the dealer today to have him put the better tread on the drive wheels, it being winter and all, but he said that the current theory is that the better tread should be on the back wheels to prevent fish tailing.

I would think that better drive traction would be preferable to what to my mind is unlikely fishtailing, at least on this small car.

What do you know about this?

1. You rotate tres at least every 10k miles to prevent large differences in wear between front and rear.

2. I ignore the current theories and keep good tread on all tires. 60k miles is when all tires get replaced on my vehicles, unless they are down to the wear indicators before that. I don't want any tire on my vehicle that won't keep me on the road in snowy conditions.

3. My vehicles get an annual front end alignment check so I don't get uneven wear. It is a very cheap insurance policy for my safety and my family's/friends' safety.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 08:34AM by modelamac.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: January 03, 2018 09:56AM
When I buy two new tires I have one out on the front right and the other put on the rear left. But what I do next is unique. I buy another set immediately and have one put on the front left and the other put on the rear right.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 03, 2018 10:11AM
Dennis R
When I buy two new tires I have one out on the front right and the other put on the rear left. But what I do next is unique. I buy another set immediately and have one put on the front left and the other put on the rear right.

Really you should put the first set on the left front and right rear, and the second set on the right front and left rear.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 03, 2018 11:24AM
Model,

My method is along the same line as yours.

1. I have the tires rotated every other oil change, regardless of how many miles I've driven between them.

2. Always well regarded and well reviewed for my specific vehicle ('09 Mazda CX-7) mud and snow rated all-season tires.

3. I replace the tires every 5 or so years, regardless of tread and mileage. This ensures dry-rot never causes any issues.

4. I always have the wheels aligned after the winter and, in the event, I hit a nasty pothole. No matter how hard you try, it's impossible to avoid all of them here on Long Island and in the city limits.

5. I keep the tires inflated to the proper temperature and check them regularly. Very easy since we have a nice compressor at my office.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 11:24AM by Robert M.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 04, 2018 07:39AM
Mr645
Because 98% of drivers really have no idea how to drive and control a car. With worn tires in the rear AND wet or snow conditions the read of he car may slide first causing an 'oversteer' condition and most drivers will have no idea how to deal with it.

agree smiley

The majority of drivers in this country can't drive well in good weather. Why should we expect them to be able to drive well in bad conditions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018