advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Never been west of the East Coast...
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: January 05, 2018 10:55AM
Sadly, I've never been west of the East Coast and have an opportunity to visit Texas for a brief 3 days. Which would you choose and why - Houston in March or Arlington in June? Incidentally, the heat doesn't bother me (this cold is another story).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Never been west of the East Coast...
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 05, 2018 11:04AM
Its not the heat, its the humidity. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 05, 2018 11:05AM
My first choice would be Austin.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 05, 2018 11:16AM
Austin is a cool city, but an anomaly if you want to experience the true spirit of Texas.

Posted by: sekker
Date: January 05, 2018 11:19AM
I’d go to Austin but not for Texas...

San Antonio is also pretty.

I’d do March and not summer.
Date: January 05, 2018 11:27AM
Aside from the River Walk, the Alamo, and the Spanish mission (exciting!), San Antonio doesn't have much to offer visitors.

Between Houston and Arlington/Dallas, I would probably choose the latter, primarily for the food and the opportunity to visit Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum. I wouldn't go in June, though.

But Austin would still be my first choice.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 05, 2018 11:47AM
Houston in March—though as noted, neither is a prize you'd want to win.

In March, Houston weather is likely to be in the 70s—maybe the 80s—with plenty of sun. It's a big city, though a fairly ugly one, with some worthwhile museums.

Arlington in June will be hot and fairly miserable. It's merely a huge overgrown suburb, with no public transport and no attractions other than an aviation museum and Six Flags. Yes, you can drive to Dallas or Fort Worth, which each have a couple of museums worth a couple hours. Perhaps because it hits too close to home for me, I've never understood the attraction of the Sixth Floor and Dealey Plaza.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 05, 2018 12:20PM
....Never Been Kissed.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 12:20PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: January 05, 2018 12:55PM
Mr Downtown
I've never understood the attraction of the Sixth Floor and Dealey Plaza.

Of course it's because an important moment in American history took place there, but it's not just that. That particular moment was captured in a recording that, over the course of time, has been replayed again and again and again, much like the footage of the Challenger disaster. This has two effects:

1) It keeps the moment alive in one's mind in a way that is not possible for, say, the Lincoln assassination.

2) Because the site today appears almost identical to how it appeared in the recording of that day in 1963, it enables visitors to relate to the site in a much more direct manner.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 05, 2018 01:51PM
The people in East Texas are very friendly, so if you like chatting, you'll love it.
Posted by: max
Date: January 05, 2018 07:57PM
Mr Downtown
Houston in March—though as noted, neither is a prize you'd want to win.

In March, Houston weather is likely to be in the 70s—maybe the 80s—with plenty of sun. It's a big city, though a fairly ugly one, with some worthwhile museums.
True dat...
BUT
Houston is an extremely diverse city, very open minded, with an amazing choice of cuisine, has the most restaurants per capita in the country....
Posted by: MarkD
Date: January 05, 2018 10:06PM
Some depends on who is coming with you, where you stay,your airlines, timing, and what your interests are in doing when you travel. Houston in March should be pretty decent. Probably need a car (Houston is over 640 square miles. Lots of Suburbs. As the song says, Miles and Miles of Texas) Lots of food and drink, Space stuff, Gulf coast is at Galveston, Port of Houston, Sports (Astros start the season at Arlington in late March; hopefully Rockets still strong, Pro Golf tournament, the Texans? Are still not the Patriots), festivals, Rodeo, George Ranch living history site, archtecture and proof of oil money, Museums (In addition to the usual art, natural science, museums there is a National Museum of Funeral History and a Buffalo Soldiers museum), aviation museums, plays, music, and even quirky stuff like the art cars and the beer can house. (I live in Houston so I know the city better)

Arlington in June will be hotter, maybe less humidity. June is still tornado season. The City has access to the Metroplex and some good museums (Perot natural science), the George Bush Library, aviation musuems, sports teams, Rodeo and cattle in Fort Worth, and lots of food and drink too.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 06, 2018 10:42AM
I agree with the suggestion for Austin. Try to take a day-trip to San Antonio. You won't regret it.
Austin IS NOT Texas, so if you are looking for the flavor of Texas, it's not Austin. However, they have the best BBQ in all of Texas. Try to get to Franklin BBQ real early to stand in line for lunch. It's worth it.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 06, 2018 10:56AM
GO WEST YOUNG MAN!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 06, 2018 06:53PM
max
Houston...has the most restaurants per capita in the country....
smiley-signs006
Not even close, by anyone’s measure.
[m.huffpost.com]
[infogram.com]
[www.ideabeyond.net]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 07, 2018 12:22AM
jdc
Its not the heat, its the humidity. =)

some people love being wet. just saying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018