advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$154 3D Printer review
Posted by: p8712
Date: January 07, 2018 09:36PM
F/u to this thread - I bought the v2 model.

My first 3D printer, and I'm impressed. Minimal futzing brought great results, and it's reasonably easy to use and mod. I'll need to use it awhile longer to be sure, but it certainly a keeper. Good Job Monoprice!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $154 3D Printer review
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 07, 2018 11:52PM
But what do you do with it?

Please don't say plastic robot figurines. I already know they do that.

Plastic gears for broken laser printers? Brother sold me one of those for $4 ten years ago, a great price. But I fixed the broken one with epoxy before the replacement even arrived, and repair is still working.

I can see the benefit of occasional access to much larger printers. But an in-house 4.7" printer bed just seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 08, 2018 12:30AM
tenders
I can see the benefit of occasional access to much larger printers. But an in-house 4.7" printer bed just seems like a solution in search of a problem.

I have about a half dozen projects a year that could use a 3D printing solution.

I tend to carve makeshift gears and wedges from popsicle sticks and chopsticks as the need arises. 3D printing might make for a nice change... Would look nicer.

A few months ago my nephew was cheating at a game with dice and I looked into dice castles. Found a FOSS model online that looked nice. About $4 in filament if I printed it myself. $700 bucks to 3D print one at Staples. I bought one at Amazon for $25 bucks... Was 3D printed from the same model that I'd previously found.

None of that justifies the price of a good 3D printer.

Ultimately, my justification for buying one is this: There's a game that's been out of print for about 40 years that I'd like to reproduce with 3D pieces instead of cardboard tiles. This would be one of those projects that would probably span a couple of years as a hobby and as we all know, a good hobby isn't cheap. smiling smiley

Posted by: Winston
Date: January 08, 2018 02:31AM
My issue with a 3D printer would probably be getting a design done for whatever I was trying to reproduce. I don't have any CAD experience, and I assume a printer wouldn't come with easy-to-use design software.

Recently bought a couple of expensive OEM plastic seat adjustor wheels for an old car. That's an example of something that theoretically could have been 3D printed, assuming I could reuse the brass shank which is at the center of the original adjustor wheels. But I have no idea how I'd create the template to print it.

Now, if we get to where AI allows me to take a photo of something, and the printer could reproduce it from the photo, then I can see all sorts of uses. But I'd guess we are a decade or more from being able to do that.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 08, 2018 06:45AM
Winston
My issue with a 3D printer would probably be getting a design done for whatever I was trying to reproduce. I don't have any CAD experience, and I assume a printer wouldn't come with easy-to-use design software.

If you can't find a free model online, there's CAD software that is mind-bogglingly easy to use. On your cell phone, even.

And yes, some of it can start out with a model derived from pics taken with your cell phone camera.

Date: January 08, 2018 06:49AM
tenders
But what do you do with it?

Build a wind turbine
Posted by: decay
Date: January 08, 2018 08:19AM
I would print Devo "energy dome" 45 adapters in several colors.

---
Posted by: Bo
Date: January 08, 2018 11:38AM
p8712

My first 3D printer, and I'm impressed. Minimal futzing brought great results, and it's reasonably easy to use and mod. I'll need to use it awhile longer to be sure, but it certainly a keeper. Good Job Monoprice!

Very cool! Glad to see you jumped on the v2 deal. In the end I did not purchase one but am still very tempted.

I may have a few questions about it that I'll PM you in the next week or two once I get settled into the new year.
Date: January 08, 2018 12:08PM
Bo
p8712

Very cool! Glad to see you jumped on the v2 deal. In the end I did not purchase one but am still very tempted.

I may have a few questions about it that I'll PM you in the next week or two once I get settled into the new year.

Sure. I've only done a few small prints so far, but all have been great. There are a surprising number of highly useful an easy mods you can print for the printer, too. The print area can be expaded to 8inx8inx8in (that's a difficult, experienced mod, though). If you see the potential for creation a 3d printer this cheap is a no brainer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015