advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
568A or 568B, ethernet connections
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 09, 2018 11:57AM
Ran a cable and need to put ends on it. It has been so long since I did it I lost my paper that had the instructions, but printing out another.

So have I been making both ends 568A or 568B?

[www.incentre.net]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 568A or 568B, ethernet connections
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 09, 2018 12:03PM
I've always done 568B, at the time I needed to decide I looked at a couple of pre-made Ethernet cables to see how they were connected, and they were 568B.
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 09, 2018 12:12PM
Thanks GGD, you are correct, I looked at 3 ready made cables and they are all T-568B

And looked at an earlier one I had made it was also T-568B
Posted by: davester
Date: January 09, 2018 12:35PM
As long as both ends are the same, why would it matter?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 09, 2018 12:45PM
It looks like they swapped the transmit and receive pairs.

I don't know why they did that, however, it doesn't matter anymore since everything is auto-sensing nowadays. So for example, there is no longer a need for crossover cables.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 09, 2018 12:53PM
Microman

So have I been making both ends 568A or 568B?

[www.incentre.net]

I dunno, you tell us. LOL

The wires don't care what color they are.

If you want to make plug ends that work pick one of those two .

You could pick any colored pairs you wanted and make them all the same and they would work but they would be wired to your standard not THE STANDARD and anyone who came along and was trained to THE STANDARD would slap you.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 09, 2018 12:58PM
I had 24 ethernet lines in one building all wired randomly... Both ends of each cable were the SAME, but each cable was wired differently, with no regard to standards.

Being just one of me, and not having a tone-generator and tone-tracer yet (I bought one after that!), I had to figure out through process of elimination on the switch which line was which, cut the ends off, re-do them (to 568B standard - orangewhiteorangegreenwhitebluebluewhitegreenbrownwhitebrown), and relabel the line on both ends.

Edit: Had to go before I was done...
The "standard" only matters when someone has to cut one damaged end off and re-do it... which is when you get guys like me plotting your death when all 24 lines in a building are wired RANDOMLY... Just pick one, and stick with it. If you don't know which one to pick, pick 568b.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 01:06PM by Paul F..
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2018 01:34PM
I’ve always used B
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 09, 2018 02:18PM
Okay, I had to look up which one was used in my CFOA/CFOT certification class.

568B

I would say 568A is okay as long as you only use 568A, and your cables pass when checking with a gigabit tester.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 09, 2018 05:40PM
The actual recommendation in the EIA/TIA codes is for TI568A to be used, it is most compatible with USOC pair connections. TI568B was an alternate with compatibility with some AT&T wiring schemes. Through inertia 568B became more used than A.

In practice as long as you use one consistently it does not matter. If you actually do need a crossover cable, just do one end using 568A and the other with 568B..
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 09, 2018 09:15PM
For YEARS now, Apple computers are self-adjusting so, it doesn't matter if you use a "standard" e-net cable or a "crossover" e-net cable.

I'm NOT sure if any modern routers do this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015