advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anker USB Charger without UL listing - safety concerns?
Posted by: StingMe
Date: January 09, 2018 12:32PM
We've put together a centralized charging station for the kids' electronics and I'm looking for a safe multiport USB charger. I generally like the Anker brand but in looking at their offerings, I see that their PowerPort 6 charger is UL listed/certified but their PowerPort 10 is not.

PowerPort 6: [www.anker.com]

PowerPort 10: [www.anker.com]

I asked Anker support about this and they said:

"Sorry to tell you that PowerPort 6 is UL Certified while PowerPort 10 is not. However, kindly noted that PowerPort 10 has other certification like FCC, CE, KCC and ROHS.

Sincerely apologize for that and look forward to your understanding."

Both are 60W and 2.4A per port (12A max for unit) chargers so it seems odd and I wonder if my hesitation is justified. It is unlikely that we'd have 10 devices charging at the same time but it would be nice to have that many ports available, given our setup and mixture of lightning and usb connections. I suppose I could double up on the 6 port model but that's not ideal (and under full load would likely trip the breaker anyway, no?).

The charging station is powered by a surge protected outlet we installed off a nearby outlet on a 20 amp circuit that appears to serve very few drops. The charger would likely be left on most of the time.

Thanks in advance for any input!

EDIT: Aukey seems to have some interesting offerings, like [www.aukey.com] but again, no UL listing that I see. WTF?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 09:06PM by StingMe.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anker USB Charger without UL listing - safety concerns?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 09, 2018 12:40PM
"Sincerely apologize for that and look forward to your understanding."

Translation: either this device is electrically unsafe, or we think little enough of your childrens' safety that we're not willing to pay for the UL testing regimen.

Hard pass.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 09, 2018 01:27PM
StingMe,

Anker is a reputable company. Given the choice, I'd go for the one with UL listing. However, knowing it is Anker, I probably wouldn't be tremendously concerned about using the PowerPort 10. It'd be a different matter entirely if it was made and sold by some no-name generic place who can't even spell its name correctly, i.e. Ishcabibble Teknology Spercalists.

Robert
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 09, 2018 01:27PM
rjmacs
"Sincerely apologize for that and look forward to your understanding."

Translation: either this device is electrically unsafe, or we think little enough of your childrens' safety that we're not willing to pay for the UL testing regimen.

Hard pass.

It's interesting for sure. We're used to UL testing but I couldn't tell you if there has been any kind of evolution or de-evolution over the years.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 09, 2018 01:32PM
I cant imagine 6 iDevices tripping a breaker.

Could you do 4? This is much cleaner. [www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2018 01:33PM
Cc rating is superior.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 09, 2018 02:05PM
ROHS is not an electrical safety certification. It's a factory/materials certification for reduced hazardous material pollution from the production (edit and recycling) of electronics.

CE is similar to UL but I don't know which is better at statistically preventing injuries to families with small children.

How about getting two 6 port chargers?

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 02:41PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 09, 2018 02:39PM
I’m with Muffman here.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 09, 2018 03:13PM
Clipper Creek is a Seattle area company that makes EV Chargers. They have a video on YouTube that compares UL vs some other certification options. It isn't directly related, but it does explain a little bit of the differences.

[www.youtube.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 09, 2018 04:37PM
Odd that they didn't UL certify it. I realize it costs money, but in the US it is pretty much standard to have that done on a product.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: StingMe
Date: January 09, 2018 06:47PM
Thanks all - yeah, I can't figure out why they would go through the trouble/expense for the 6 but not the 10 (unless the 10 was rejected by UL for some reason). Four ports won't work so I might pick up a 6 for now and see how that goes then maybe pick up another. Here's what we built into a wall in the laundry room - to get the kids into the habit of putting devices away for the night:

Posted by: testcase
Date: January 09, 2018 09:11PM
A few years ago, I bought an Anker USB multiport hub (I forget if it was 4 or 5 port). VERY shortly after the warranty period, one of the ports crapped out. This device just sat on a desk with several devices being charged each night. NO moving parts, NO abuse of any kind. Anker could NOT care less about their failed product. I'll NEVER buy another Anker product angry villagers smiley
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 09, 2018 09:19PM
testcase
A few years ago, I bought an Anker USB multiport hub (I forget if it was 4 or 5 port). VERY shortly after the warranty period, one of the ports crapped out. This device just sat on a desk with several devices being charged each night. NO moving parts, NO abuse of any kind. Anker could NOT care less about their failed product. I'll NEVER buy another Anker product angry villagers smiley

You contacted them?

I buy lots and lots of Anker stuff and recommend them without hesitation.

They've been incredibly attentive to any feedback I've given them and replaced several items for my clients out of warranty even with obvious abuse.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 09, 2018 09:32PM
Was it possibly an Aukey hub? They are one of the three similar brand names out there - Anker, Auker and Aukey - and they get confused a lot. Aukey has less of a reputation compared to Anker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 10:40PM by JoeH.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 07:49AM
.....Ankers.....away.......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 10, 2018 12:14PM
testcase

really? one of the reasons i buy Anker is their customer service is so responsive. i've had a couple of products cheerfully replaced over the years. now, one might question having had products fail but as long as a company backs it up i'm good.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 12, 2018 06:21PM
graylocks
testcase

really? one of the reasons i buy Anker is their customer service is so responsive. i've had a couple of products cheerfully replaced over the years. now, one might question having had products fail but as long as a company backs it up i'm good.

I DID contact Anker and, was surprised that they did NOT extend a "Courtesy" (even if it been a "refurbed" replacement). Anker turned me down cold. I longer buy or recommend Anker products based on that single bad experience.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015