advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Phorumites best wifi router opinions needed. Again...
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 09, 2018 05:56PM
It seems all my old AirPort Base Station routers are getting a bit short in the gums, which makes the teeth look longer ROTFL

I remember old Onamuji saying a couple months ago he (or is it she? I'm not doing good at knowing genders here) likes the Asus brand. Here's a site I found with its opinions, but I want to know my trusted Phorumites' opinions:

[www.lifewire.com]

And that will have the new WPA3 or some such...

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 06:05PM by GuyGene.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Phorumites best wifi router opinions needed. Again...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 09, 2018 05:57PM
What price point?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: January 09, 2018 05:59PM
Oh, didn't think about price. Well, since I tend to use things a long time, no maximum price for quality. They sure haven't come down in price.

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 09, 2018 06:17PM
How do you know if your airport base stations (what models?) are getting "long in the tooth?"

Has your net been running slower? Need more range? Doing More resets? Did you get faster net? You live in a crowded apartment buulding and need more security?

Im just of the "if it aint broke, then dont fix it" crowd...

Price is relative. You could get a basic wireless rotuer for under $25 from all the big names -- belkin, TP link, netgear, asus, etc. Or a $250 netgear nighthawk...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 09, 2018 06:19PM
What devices are you going to connect? Are any 802.11AC, and what generation? It's up to third generation for most companies (2x 2167Mbps). All of Apple's routers stopped getting speed/standards updates in 2012, nothing faster than the original 802.11AC draft version.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 09, 2018 06:38PM
My Asus has been rock solid: [www.bhphotovideo.com]

Lots of newer models, although that one is still available. If I had to replace it, I would probably get something like this:

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Mine has good range and more than meets my needs, but I am in a NYC apartment. Still, my phone hangs onto the system outside and across the street, although weakly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 06:40PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 09, 2018 06:45PM
I would look very seriously at Ubiquiti.
I’ve been installing some Ubiquiti managed ethernet switches, and I am very impressed with their UniFi management software and the bang for the buck.

[store.ubnt.com]

I use some much more expensive wireless gear at work (Ruckus), but if I needed a “stand alone” access point, I’d seriously consider Ubiquiti.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 09, 2018 08:31PM
I've been on wifi since it was first available, what, 1999 or 2000? Original Base Station with phone connection for dialup via wifi. That was neat. Since the most expensive one I've seen is about $300, money is not issue. Mine all don't work on ac. I have 3 ISPs at three different places we live. Right. Plus Japan, in which I love internet! That's not in this need though. I'll probably have to wait due to the new WPA3 security system which is when I'll buy.

Ok, thanks...

Posted by: Winston
Date: January 09, 2018 09:29PM
Paul F.
I would look very seriously at Ubiquiti.
I’ve been installing some Ubiquiti managed ethernet switches, and I am very impressed with their UniFi management software and the bang for the buck.

[store.ubnt.com]

I use some much more expensive wireless gear at work (Ruckus), but if I needed a “stand alone” access point, I’d seriously consider Ubiquiti.

The one you linked to is 802.11n, not ac.

Some of their stuff is expensive.
All Wireless:
[store.ubnt.com]

High-speed Access point:
[store.ubnt.com]

UniFi AC HD
UAP-AC-HD

Build your Wi-Fi network with the UniFi® AC HD Access Point, part of the Ubiquiti Networks® UniFi Enterprise Wi-Fi System. The UAP-AC-HD, is an indoor/outdoor, high-performance, 802.11AC Wave 2 dual-band access point, capable of throughput speeds of up to 2533 Mbps and a maximum range of up to 122 meters. Engineered from the ground up to take advantage of 802.11AC Wave 2, the UAP-AC-HD provides unparalleled multi-user support.

$349.00

ac Access point
[store.ubnt.com]

UniFi AC Pro
Single - UAP-AC-PRO
5-Pack - UAP-AC-PRO-5

The UniFi AC Pro AP features the latest Wi-Fi 802.11ac, 3x3 MIMO technology in a refined industrial design and is ideal for deployment of maximum?performance wireless networks.

* Please note the 5-pack does not include POE injectors

Single Item
$149.00

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 09:31PM by Winston.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 09, 2018 09:43PM
Winston;
Yeah, sorry... grabbed the link a little too quick.
Another local school has installed a few Ubiquiti’s and their IT guy loves them, and I love the 48 port managed switches for 1/4 the cost of HP ProCurves.
Well worth taking a CLOSE look at.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 09, 2018 10:20PM
I like our Portal - $159 and covers our entire house.

[smile.amazon.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 10, 2018 07:16AM
WireCutter says that the Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 ($160, not $250) is their best reviewed entry-level router. YMMV.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: January 10, 2018 09:17AM
Thanks Paul. I've never heard of that make. I've never had a problem with area coverage with my Apple routers, it's just that they are old, and at our Midwest place, I made the mistake of buying an all in one cable box/router. Yes, Research Crazy© I did that! I really want to wait until that WPA3 thingamajig security is available, but as is my wont, I start research early. I researched trucks since 2007 before I bought my current 2015 F150. Not only do I research, but I have a tendency to get sidetracked and totally forget the original topic.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 09:18AM
......still like Airport Express refurb. when they appear in Apple refurb. store....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 10, 2018 09:19AM
GuyGene,

I think you are correct to suspect the Airport units. I have had the same experience with both of mine (the latest versions). I can reboot them and they will work fine for several days then start to slow down again. I replaced them with a fairly expensive ASUS unit used for gaming, and have been very happy with it. I cannot tell you which model. It is at home in MI and I am in FL for 3 months.

GuyGene
It seems all my old AirPort Base Station routers are getting a bit short in the gums, which makes the teeth look longer ROTFL

I remember old Onamuji saying a couple months ago he (or is it she? I'm not doing good at knowing genders here) likes the Asus brand. Here's a site I found with its opinions, but I want to know my trusted Phorumites' opinions:

[www.lifewire.com]

And that will have the new WPA3 or some such...

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Date: January 10, 2018 09:33AM
Thanks a lot guys!! Right, model, things just don't seem right recently. A small perceptible change. I will need two new routers, so thinking about $300-600 for both. I'll buy one, use it a while at one place, then get next one for other place. Our lives are very complicated living in THREE different states, almost at the same time! When Ethyl retires form this university, we will only have two places to keep up with, not counting our Japan house. Y'all might think we're rich, believe me, we're not. Just have very inexpensive houses that I have put a lot of work into. Our new to us Midwest house is now down to the 117 year old studs! Amish builder son in law totally demolished the two story interior by himself working only on Saturdays! That boy works. If I had a photo account somewhere other than iCloud, I'd post some before/after pics here. I'm on MANY forums, but this one makes it impossible for me to post photos. Other forums I'm on are simple. Hey OWC Larry. How you.

Oh, wifi routers...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 09:36AM by GuyGene.
Posted by: Buck
Date: January 10, 2018 11:26AM
My ASUS RT-AC68U is still going strong. Great range and speed.
[www.walmart.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 10, 2018 03:20PM
GuyGene
Thanks a lot guys!! Right, model, things just don't seem right recently. A small perceptible change. I will need two new routers, so thinking about $300-600 for both. I'll buy one, use it a while at one place, then get next one for other place. Our lives are very complicated living in THREE different states, almost at the same time! When Ethyl retires form this university, we will only have two places to keep up with, not counting our Japan house. Y'all might think we're rich, believe me, we're not. Just have very inexpensive houses that I have put a lot of work into. Our new to us Midwest house is now down to the 117 year old studs! Amish builder son in law totally demolished the two story interior by himself working only on Saturdays! That boy works. If I had a photo account somewhere other than iCloud, I'd post some before/after pics here. I'm on MANY forums, but this one makes it impossible for me to post photos. Other forums I'm on are simple. Hey OWC Larry. How you.

Oh, wifi routers...

I have heard that there are abandoned houses in quite a few areas of Japan, but I don't know if that means the property would be cheap. It could be that the owners are holding on to hopefully profit in the future. Can you buy land in Japan if you are a GuyGene?

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 11, 2018 08:53AM
GuyGene
...Amish builder son in law...

Not trying to stir controversy with this question, but do I read this correctly that your daughter married into an Amish family? There must be a lot of stories about THAT.

I have a coworker from a large Italian family who married into a Mennonite family. I didn’t go to the wedding, but apparently it was a spectacular culture clash, with the bride’s side whooping it up whole-hog New Jersey Italian style, and the groom’s side sitting in stoic horror on the other side of the room. But this was a couple of years ago, and they seem to be very happy together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 239
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018