advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New TV nice
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 09, 2018 08:43PM
Set up and running. My main quibble is that its feet were a bit of a pain to attach. An unrelated quibble is that all the AAA batteries that I had squirreled away in the emergency supply box had gone bad, as in leaking, and that’s what I needed for the TV remote. I think I got them not too long after Sandy, because we had several useful devices that use AAAs. Seems like they should have lasted longer.

I didn’t really appreciate how bad the picture had gotten on the old one until I turned this one on. Everything is legible again. The LG was starting to resemble a painting in the manner of Caravaggio with pools of light and dark. Not that dramatic, of course, but anything on the left side of the screen was obscured noticeably.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New TV nice
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 09, 2018 08:44PM
so what did you get?

how old was the old TV?

LEADER!!!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 09, 2018 09:11PM
I'm guessing the batteries were Duracell. I no longer buy Duracell due to their propensity to leak.

It is what it is.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: January 09, 2018 09:17PM
I'm surprised that the remote didn't come with batteries. I think that every device that I've ever purchased with a remote, and that's more than I care to admit to, have had the batteries included.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2018 09:18PM
....most do include batteries.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 09, 2018 09:21PM
I agree, there should be a pack of batteries, cheap Chinese ones probably, somewhere in the packaging.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 09, 2018 09:22PM
We had a nice RCA console TV for the longest time ... until TWO friends announced that it was time to replace it. One complained of getting a headache watching it and the other just pronounced the old one dead. They were right, of course. Apparently the console continues on at a friend's house and the replacement hangs on the wall of the house we sold.
Date: January 09, 2018 09:22PM
....you need to name it.....Wynona is a good name.....

Posted by: jdc
Date: January 09, 2018 09:28PM
cyclemax
I'm surprised that the remote didn't come with batteries. I think that every device that I've ever purchased with a remote, and that's more than I care to admit to, have had the batteries included.

I agree.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 09, 2018 09:47PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I'm guessing the batteries were Duracell. I no longer buy Duracell due to their propensity to leak.

They have a commercial, bulk pack line that was still good the last time I used batteries from a source that supplied them. But that may have changed in the last couple of years.

But, with the current lack of quality in the Duracell consumer line, and in my experience the Eveready batteries have the same tendency to leak and or swell, what brands or types within brands are still worth buying?

rgG
I agree, there should be a pack of batteries, cheap Chinese ones probably, somewhere in the packaging.

I have actually had better luck with the batteries included in the box for the remote than with the brand name batteries.
Date: January 09, 2018 09:54PM
N-OS X-tasy!

Yes, they were Duracells.

I did not see any batteries in the various bags of stuff. I was expecting the usual cheap batteries. Maybe I should take another look in the box. OK, took a look again, and down in the bottom, loose in the bottom styrofoam insert, was a little package of batteries. Not in the sealed packaging with the remote and the manual, for some reason.

The TV is a basic Samsung DumbTV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 10:10PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 09, 2018 10:07PM
JoeH

I have actually had better luck with the batteries included in the box for the remote than with the brand name batteries.

Most of the time, those include batteries are "heavy duty" batteries. The heavy duty uses a paste, probably less likely to leak than alkaline.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 10, 2018 09:09AM
TV LEADER. Ethyl recently got a slightly used Seiki from colleague who took job away. $100! It's big, and we thought we'd never want a big TV. Right. Until we started watching it!! Wow, no wonder people would remark about how small our TVs are! What a difference. I think it's about 44" or so. TV I'm watching now is 32".

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: January 10, 2018 10:49AM
32” is as much as I can easily fit in the available space. Seems huge compared to the 15” CRT that I had for 25 years. The fading LG replaced that one.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 10, 2018 04:33PM
GuyGene
TV LEADER. Ethyl recently got a slightly used Seiki from colleague who took job away. $100! It's big, and we thought we'd never want a big TV. Right. Until we started watching it!! Wow, no wonder people would remark about how small our TVs are! What a difference. I think it's about 44" or so. TV I'm watching now is 32".

Once you go 65", you never go back. Just sayin'.

It is what it is.
Date: January 10, 2018 04:45PM
.....Nice work if you can get it
And if you get it, won't you tell me how?.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015