advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need Feedback STAT: Wondering if I Got Hacked?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 10, 2018 02:46AM
Sorry a bit longish! If nothing else - please look at my question in red below.

Got a FB instant message tonight from a local cycling friend I'll call Person 1. It showed that it had been sent Monday morning. I haven't really been on there much lately, and FB has been showing me plenty of message notifications from legit friends seemingly a few days after they're sent. This one showed it was sent Monday morning, and I know I was on there checking stuff early Tuesday with no notification of said message. Notification showed up 36 hours after it was "sent."

Person 1's message said she had sent me an email on the "email attached to your Linked In account" - asking if I got it, and asking for my email addy if I didn't get it. I answered and said no, didn't receive it, and unsuspectingly gave my email addy. (I'd follow up with her right now but I'm afraid to message her back on FB, and I don't have her email or phone, so I'll have to get her contact info from another mutual friend tomorrow to confirm if her message actually was legit or part of this hacking scheme.)

This afternoon, I noticed a friend request from an acquaintance, I'll call Person 2, the sister of a different cycling friend -- this friend was killed by a texting driver a few years ago. We spoke on the phone briefly after my friend died. I knew the name so I hit ok. This is not infrequent for me, getting friend requests like this, so I didn't think anything of it, especially since it was this friend's sister.

Then tonight, not long after I hit OK to the friend request, I get a different instant message -- this one from this Person 2 - first, just making small talk, hey how are you, been a while since we chatted...I thought she was gonna tell me something about her deceased brother, some memory or something...but no. This is all taking awhile for her to message me back which was kind of annoying, but I figured with the deceased brother and all, I'd be patient and leave the message window open. Then about the 3rd message (about 5 minutes into the message thread) in she tells me she had won $100k from Gates Foundation.

My bs radar went up at this point, so I clicked on her name and realized that this person actually hacked the account of the person she claimed to be - as I was already friends with this gal who Person 2 claimed to be. And the new, Person 2 account showed only 7 friends. So my next comment was something like, "Hey, cool, why don't you send me that money?" Just messing with them at that point.

So I unfriended this Person 2 about 10 seconds later, and still another message came through, something like "I saw your name on the winners list also, do you want me to tell you how to get the prize money?" I selected "block this user" and apparently that worked. No more messages came through - at least not before I closed that FB window about 10 minutes later.

I did some googling and came up with a link that gave some info on FB hacking and what to watch out for - it also said someone who hacks someone else can hack your account, too, by sending you a virus link or even just looking at your web history while you're messaging them. I thought the latter seemed far-fetched - how in the world can they hack into my Mac (Mavs 10.9.5, latest Chrome build Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit)) while I'm simply messaging them? But I closed out my FB window altogether just in case.

This Person 2, and Person 1 for that matter, did not send me any links (I'm guessing that was coming next), so there was nothing malicious to get into my system afaik.

I went ahead and changed my gmail password just to be safe (this is not the same email addy associated with my FB account, or my Linked In account, but it is the email I gave to Person 1 who asked for it in the message allegedly sent Monday morning); I have 2-step verification enabled as well, and received confirmation of my gmail addy pw change on my phone. I should probably change my FB pw just to be safe also, but frankly I'm a bit leery of opening a FB window at the moment.

I did click on the profile from the message from Person 1 and it showed her page to be what actually looks like her legit page - tons of mutual friends, recent and seemingly long history of postings, etc. There's a chance these two events are unrelated, but now I've gotta say I'm a bit concerned.

Advice? Thoughts? Is it possible to get hacked while you're simply messaging with someone on FB, even without clicking any links? I know enough not to click on any links that I know aren't legit in my email and elsewhere...what else do I need to watch out for? Thanks.

Gotta get some zzz's now but I'll be checking this thread all day Weds! Thanks for any and all feedback!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need Feedback STAT: Wondering if I Got Hacked?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 10, 2018 04:19AM
No.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 10, 2018 07:11AM
Damn, jdc - how many times did you reconsider your response?? smiley-shocked003

You're fine, SteveO. This is an old trick and you're fine. Someone just hijacked or cloned a 'real' FB account to trick you into giving personal data, which you (mostly) did not. Expect more spam at the email address you shared. Wouldn't hurt to make sure you have real passwords on all your accounts.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 10, 2018 09:23AM
Now jdc, that's the kind of answer I like.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: January 10, 2018 09:28AM
Okay cool. Thanks rj and co.
Date: January 10, 2018 09:32AM
And the two incidents I mentioned above were not related. I got a legit email from Person 1 just now.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 10, 2018 10:53AM
Sound like you were "phished" but did not "bite".

Does FB have a Security Center to which you could forward (with headers) all these phishing attempts to?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 10, 2018 10:55AM
rjmacs

Well -- he said: "Sorry a bit longish! If nothing else - please look at my question in red below."

So I did just that -- and answered it. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 10, 2018 12:39PM
jdc
rjmacs

Well -- he said: "Sorry a bit longish! If nothing else - please look at my question in red below."

So I did just that -- and answered it. =)

But does it indicate when you look that you edited your post 999 times?!?!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 10, 2018 03:00PM
rjmacs
But does it indicate when you look that you edited your post 999 times?!?!
Are you teasing jdc, or have you not noticed before that this is his sig?

Date: January 11, 2018 01:38PM
testcase
Sound like you were "phished" but did not "bite".

Does FB have a Security Center to which you could forward (with headers) all these phishing attempts to?

Yeah they do, but I didn't bother. My aunt had her FB ID stolen, and she tried to work through their channels but never received any kind of answer or help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018