advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How would you print this nautical map in large-format?
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 10, 2018 05:22AM
I was about to try stretched Canvas with AdoramaPix, but now I'm wondering if the texture of the canvas would work with the details of this map. Would you consider metal or a photo print? What would you do?

I would love to do something where the wall mounting hardware is already done, since framing can be very expensive in its own right.

I'm considering a size around 29x40. The actual image has more resolution than this, FYI.

(Looks like it might need a little Photoshop love before I print, to get the purple tones out of the background.)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How would you print this nautical map in large-format?
Posted by: billb
Date: January 10, 2018 05:36AM
[www.nauticalchartsonline.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 10, 2018 07:33AM
I think FedEx Kinkos has large format printers, but I don't know about the paper quality...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: DP
Date: January 10, 2018 07:59AM
What size is it? PS can do a good job of enlarging, and while I've seen decent enlargements up to about 300%, I wouldn't go more than 200% using the best enlargement algorithm in Image Size (Preserve Details or Bicubic Smoother).

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 10, 2018 08:22AM
Wall decal could be an option. About $80.
[www.signs.com]

Or an acrylic sign. About $130
[www.signs.com]

Many more options available.
Date: January 10, 2018 08:52AM
The one trade off is that the modern map, while white, has different typography than the NOAA maps from 1974 and 1968 that I've found online.

Nautical Charts online does have the 1974 version. [www.nauticalchartsonline.com] I think the colors aren't quite as pretty on that one.

But that's a real possibility. Thanks.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 10, 2018 10:04AM
I don't know, but this would be great printed on the new Limex paper invented in Japan.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 10, 2018 10:54AM
I typically use bigposters.com for projects like this. If you're in a hurry, there's probably a reprographics (blueprinting) company in your town that has a wide-format plotter and is about 30% cheaper than Kinko's.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 11:15AM
....I sea.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 10, 2018 11:17AM
What kind of budget?

On the cheap would be Costco and a frame from ikea. Largest costco has is 20 x 30 (think it might be glossy) for $10.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buck
Date: January 10, 2018 11:17AM
Rolando
I think FedEx Kinkos has large format printers, but I don't know about the paper quality...

Yes, they do good work, and fast! Used them many times for trade show prints.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 10, 2018 12:52PM
I find quite a few editions of this chart available at
[historicalcharts.noaa.gov]

I'm pretty sure that's where NauticalChartsOnline um, borrows, them from.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 10, 2018 01:49PM
Ah Culebra! Great beaches. And isn't that one of the phosphorescent bays at the top right of P.R.?

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 10, 2018 02:04PM
Does Costco use pigment based ink on large format? If you are going to spend over $50 on a print, you don't want it to fade in 5 years.

The resolution you posted would look really pixelated bigger than 11x17. If you have the pixels, print it at the proper scale.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: January 11, 2018 06:29AM
Winston
Ah Culebra! Great beaches. And isn't that one of the phosphorescent bays at the top right of P.R.?

Vieques has the brightest bioluminescent bay in the world; brighter than the ones in the northeast of Puerto Rico. Both have been impacted by Maria but are slowly recovering.
Date: January 11, 2018 07:28AM
Here's the exact same map I want to print - the 1985 map - thanks for that link.

This is a different copy as the one I located somewhere else, as "LITIGATION COPY" is stamped in a different place.

I don't know where the heck I found the first one, but this one is similar quality, very large.

I won't break your browser by trying to embed this image. It's 18,000 x 13,000 pixels, so it seems like there is plenty of detail.

[historicalcharts.noaa.gov]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015