The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mudslide PTSD
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 11, 2018 12:11PM
I looked at some photos of the California mudslides and immediately regretted it. For about 5-10 minutes I completely zoned out, and still have images in my head of a huge Nicaraguan mudslide in 1998. the death toll from that slide is not fully known even today. Mud, the consistency of concrete slurry rolled over villages and towns destroying everything in it's path. I was sent to cover it, along with a similar slide in Honduras during Hurricane Mitch.

The photos of the California slide reminded me of ho just a few feet can be the difference in life and death. I met a woman who was the only survivor in her family simply because she went to the outhouse less than 100 feet away. The was a young boy found who was apparently the sole survivor of a small community - no one knew his name or where family might be. I can't help but wonder where that boy is today. I remember walking through the crusted over mud, breaking through and my boots being sucked by the grip; of stepping and not going as deep only to realize that I was standing on a body.

All that came rushing back after seeing just aerials of the affected area in California. I'm not sure why I'm writing this, but I just felt the need to get it out and MRF are my designated listeners. Thanks for being there, just this little bit helps.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mudslide PTSD
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2018 12:15PM
......a lot have already died in CA mudslides....a lot still 'missing'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 11, 2018 01:00PM
What you describe is horrible enough, I can't imagine actually being there.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 11, 2018 01:27PM
So sad, many of the people that lost homes in the mudslides just missed getting burned out in the fire.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 11, 2018 07:10PM
Om -

We're here to listen and support you. I'm sorry you're haunted by these memories... but even more sorry that people had to suffer and die in such a horrific way.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 11, 2018 08:18PM
it’s a terrible event. I can’t really stand to think about it. I have no trouble believing that an experience like that would be traumatic for the rescue and recovery people.
Posted by: Kate
Date: January 16, 2018 11:15PM
Boy, do I get it. We lost our home in the Love Creek Slide back in 1982. The recent slides have brought back way too many memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 11:15PM by Kate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 285
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015