advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Walmart giveith and takeith away
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 11, 2018 12:54PM
The same day that Walmart announced it was giving bonuses and raising it's minimum wage to $11, it also abruptly closed 63 Sam's Club stores. Many employees did not learn of the closure until they showed up for work.

8801 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK 99515
17835 Gale Ave, City of Industry, CA 91748
12540 Beach Blvd, Stanton, CA 90680
69 Pavilions Dr, Manchester, CT 06042
355 FL-436, Fern Park, FL 32730
5135 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33611
2994 Turner Hill Rd, Lithonia, GA 30038
501 N Randall Rd, Batavia, IL 60510
21430 S Cicero Ave, Matteson, IL 60443
900 S Barrington Rd, Streamwood, IL 60107
1055 McHenry Rd, Wheeling, IL 60090
808 S Illinois Rte 59, Naperville, IL 60540
460 S Weber Rd, Romeoville, IL 60446
3015 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46268
10859 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46229
4024 Elkhart Rd #1, Goshen, IN 46526
9598 Cortana Pl, Baton Rouge, LA 70815
9750 Reisterstown Rd, Owings Mills, MD 21117
81 International Dr S, Budd Lake, NJ 07828
2649 Erie Blvd E, Syracuse, NY 13224
720 Fairmount Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701
700 Elmridge Center Dr, Rochester, NY 14626
1600 Marketplace Dr, Rochester, NY 14623
4825 Marburg Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209
9570 Fields Ertel Rd, Loveland, OH 45140
1805 Getwell Rd, Memphis, TN 38111
1615 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77054
13331 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77077
901 S Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057
1101 Outlet Collection Way, Auburn, WA 98001
13550 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Walmart giveith and takeith away
Posted by: Randalls
Date: January 11, 2018 01:00PM
2 in Indy. I know the one on West 86th is next to a Sam's Club. We bow to our Walmart Overlords.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 11, 2018 01:00PM
Wow. They really don't like Seattle. I guess Costco is too hard to compete with on their home turf perhaps.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: January 11, 2018 01:03PM
What the heck!??

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2018 01:07PM
....Sam......soy.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: January 11, 2018 01:15PM
They closed 150 world-wide a year ago and supposedly 250 today.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 11, 2018 02:45PM
Retail is tough everywhere these days, even for Walmart.
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: January 11, 2018 03:37PM
I already read an account (on Reddit, so take that for what it's worth) of an employee stocking the shelves overnight, only to come home to a termination letter/notice of store closure this morning.

One of our local news stations did post a story (with pictures) about the same or a similar letter:

[www.fox19.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 11, 2018 03:46PM
Randalls
2 in Indy. I know the one on West 86th is next to a Sam's Club. We bow to our Walmart Overlords.

Huh?

They opened a Sams here 10 years ago, it closed after 2. Right in the middle of the housing meltdown.

Kinda of a big freeway center on 2 sides of a street, had lots of empty pads where they were going to build and never did.

Its been hit and miss with many of the stores that have been there -- many closings. Pier 1, cost plus, sams, sports auhtority, office depot and dozen other small places. One smaller "arm" of the center has seen a half dozen + little resturants come and go -- think its all empty now.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 11, 2018 04:29PM
They’re not done yet.

Early February they’re closing both the Walmart Super Center and Sam’s Club in a center in Sacramento. Sam’s Club employees walked out en masse when they were told, from what I hear. Both places are across the street from a new(ish) Winco.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 11, 2018 05:33PM
That sucks. The one in Fern Park FL was our "backup" Sam's Club. We found that the one nearest us doesn't always carry everything we want... I can think of two food items that we'd have to go to Fern Park for. Guess we'll have to drive 45 minutes to Kissimmee to look for those things.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 11, 2018 07:58PM
Walmart MO: Overbuild, run competition our of business with predatory pricing, then close the extra stores.

Look at the 4825 Marburg Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209 location being closed, it is only 2.3 miles from the next Walmart. I don't have time to research it all but it is likely that closed store are only a few miles from another Walmart.
[www.bing.com]

Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2018 08:00PM
What about those members that can only go to one of these stores, for whatever reason (proximity, transportation, etc). do they offer membership refunds because your favorite store closed?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 11, 2018 11:53PM
ztirffritz
Wow. They really don't like Seattle. I guess Costco is too hard to compete with on their home turf perhaps.

I can't even count the number of Costcos within an hour's drive from my house in Seattle.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 12, 2018 05:41AM
I know two of those stores. Busy to the point where there's no parking available every time I pass them. I doubt that they were underperforming.

Wondering whether this came into play:
In a note to staff, Sam's Club President and CEO John Furner said that a review found stores that were hindering business at other locations or operating in areas that had not seen the population growth that was expected.

Both of those stores are adjacent to Walmart stores. I suspect that they were seen as taking business away from the regular Walmart store.

Posted by: PeterW
Date: January 12, 2018 07:35AM
space-time
What about those members that can only go to one of these stores, for whatever reason (proximity, transportation, etc). do they offer membership refunds because your favorite store closed?

As a matter of fact, yes, you can get a refund of your membership fees for any reason or you can double down and get a free three month extension of your membership.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 12, 2018 09:08AM
See above thread: only Costco will take back dead Christmas trees. Sam cannot compete with that.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: January 12, 2018 10:21AM
[quote="Randalls”

Huh? [/quote]

Misread the thread. Originally thought the Walmart was closing but now see they can make more money by closing the Sams next door
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 13, 2018 07:35PM
ztirffritz

quote from announcement "or operating in areas that had not seen the population growth that was expected.? If you look at where the 3 are located, growth there is pretty much stagnant for the Seattle and Renton locations, AND surrounded by about 12 Costcos within 50 miles. Maybe more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 328
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015