advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bonjour Browser?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 11, 2018 03:35PM
I'm using an old application on my Mac named Bonjour Browser since discoverability disappeared from Safari 11.

Is there anything else that will do this? Bonjour Browser shows you all sorts if irreverent minutia and then makes you copy the IP address instead of just linking to it.

I have a few local devices that are administered by web interface. Making bookmarks for them is useless until I can get into my router and dedicate an IP to them.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bonjour Browser?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 11, 2018 04:21PM
deckeda
…since discoverability disappeared from Safari 11.

WTH, Apple! I hope it was just an oversight…

Is there anything else that will do this?

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 11, 2018 04:54PM
[angryip.org]

You can use Angry IP Scanner to find the IP addresses of the devices on your network so that you can login to them by IP.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 11, 2018 05:15PM
ztirffritz
[angryip.org]

You can use Angry IP Scanner to find the IP addresses of the devices on your network so that you can login to them by IP.

The app is a little ugly, but I use AngryIP Scanner ALL the time!
In fact, it just helped me track down a "naughty" device on my network in an address range I had reserved.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2018 05:32PM
....au revoir.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2018 08:49PM
deckeda
... since discoverability disappeared from Safari 11.

what does this mean, what is this "discoverability"? I never say this option, but I am still stuck on Mavericks for now. Will upgrade to Sierra sometime this Spring. My Safari is 9.1.3
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 11, 2018 09:22PM
Angry IP Scanner's site says I need to install Java. I thought there were security issues with having Java enabled. Are there?

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 11, 2018 09:50PM
First, keep Java up to date. Second, just enable it to run specific applications from known sources. You don't have to let it be active for any random app to use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 09:51PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 12, 2018 08:23AM
Deck,

Not sure exactly what Bonjour Browser does but it sounds like LanScan or LanScan Pro may do what you need to do.

Robert
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 12, 2018 10:42AM
How many devices do you have on your network? When I was the IT Admin at a small/medium size company I just saved the links in my browser for all the web admin pages. I managed about 50 printers, 25 network switches, 20 servers, 12 routers, 400 PCs, 500 users, and 12 phone systems. I had all the equipment organized in my bookmarks in folders by geographic location/equipment type/ department / device ID (eg US / Yakima / Printers / Engineering / Large Format Printer (HP DJ 2500) or MX / Monterrey / Network / Switch / Dell PowerConnect 3583 - 1)

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: January 14, 2018 11:28AM
space-time
deckeda
... since discoverability disappeared from Safari 11.

what does this mean, what is this "discoverability"? I never say this option, but I am still stuck on Mavericks for now. Will upgrade to Sierra sometime this Spring. My Safari is 9.1.3

I was referring to the fact that you could click on Safari's Bonjour link and see what compatible devices were broadcasting their presence on the network, and then go straight to the chosen web interface without having to know their IP address. In my case, that would be some networked audio gear: an AVR (Marantz surround sound receiver) and a Pioneer A-1 powered speaker.

Each have a few controls/adjustments that sometimes need adjusting, at least optionally. The web browser access for the Marantz works as a remote control if I don't want to use their iOS app or the physical remote control.
Date: January 14, 2018 11:31AM
ztirffritz
How many devices do you have on your network? When I was the IT Admin at a small/medium size company I just saved the links in my browser for all the web admin pages. I managed about 50 printers, 25 network switches, 20 servers, 12 routers, 400 PCs, 500 users, and 12 phone systems. I had all the equipment organized in my bookmarks in folders by geographic location/equipment type/ department / device ID (e.g. US / Yakima / Printers / Engineering / Large Format Printer (HP DJ 2500) or MX / Monterrey / Network / Switch / Dell PowerConnect 3583 - 1)

As I initially said, saving bookmarks for their IP will only work for a while, until I can get my ISP-supplied router to stop assigning them IPs via DHCP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015