advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Satisfied with your IRA...
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 11, 2018 05:53PM
...and would you recommend it to others?

t-i-a for your suggestions/feedback smileys with beer

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Satisfied with your IRA...
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 11, 2018 06:00PM
Not sure I'm following the question.

An IRA is essentially a container for investment/retirement money, and you control how it's invested.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 11, 2018 06:03PM
I'm happy with my IRA. It's grown nicely over the years.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2018 07:11PM
I am happy with my 401(k) and Roth IRA.
Posted by: Frank
Date: January 11, 2018 07:46PM
I imagine that you are thinking of providers ... where your money will be held. Generally, for most people mutual funds are the best investments because they provide diversification and management. Vanguard and Fidelity are the largest and offer the largest choices at low fees. I've been happy with Vanguard.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 11, 2018 08:20PM
Some of my former coworkers from my old job rolled over their 401k accounts into Vanguard IRAs. AFAIK it was a pretty painless process.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 11, 2018 08:47PM
I made 17% last year, and just over 13% in each of the last five years. I'm satisfied.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 11, 2018 09:14PM
Very happy with mine. Retired at the end of 2012 and stopped contributing to it. Since then, It's grown 42% in five years. Now I'm starting to take out RMDs and will reinvest it in something that mirrors the investment allocation I now have. My wife is still working, so she's still contributing. During the same five years, her account has more than doubled, including the contributions.

They are both federal Thrift Savings Plan accounts. If anyone out there is a Fed and still has some time to go before retirement, this is the allocation I used:
G: 20%, F: 20%, C: 30%, S: 12%, I: 18%
with a rebalancing every year. It's the recommended 60/40 plan but for some reason, these percentages work well.
It was given to me by a financial advisor over twenty years ago at a financial seminar my agency put on. If I could ever find that guy again, I would kiss him. For the first five years I was contributing 100% to the C fund and it was meh. Then I switched to the allocation above and it just took off.
Now that I've started RMDs, I've switched to 50% G, 50% F and the balance split between 2020 & 2030 Lifecycle funds. I figure if everything collapses, I'll still have al least half my money.

Of course, I'm not a CFP, tax advisor or anything else, so your mileage may vary.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2018 09:31PM
.....the market is at all time highs so, yes performing well.....just be ware of fees.....Fidelity notorious for charging fees.....if you have the minimum Vanguard but their minimums can be high......

.....if you can, consolidate so if you have an old retirement from old company, roller to IRA, unless it is a really good one (meaning good choices and low fees), then leave where it is.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: January 11, 2018 10:34PM
I'd agree with the Vanguard recommendation because they have many types of funds with very low fees. However, as GGD pointed out, an IRA is just an account. After you put the money into an account you need to then choose one or more investments that the money in the account to be directed towards. This is a much more important choice than deciding which company to host your IRA.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pqrst
Date: January 12, 2018 12:17AM
I’ve got a tsp acct so the allocation example is helpful. Aside from that, I will say that IRAs can be made up of any investment vehicle. And if you didn’t contribute last year and not yet for 2018, you can double up. You’be got until April 15 and after that you lose the 2017 year.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 12:46AM by pqrst.
Posted by: max
Date: January 12, 2018 09:41PM
Ombligo
I made 17% last year, and just over 13% in each of the last five years. I'm satisfied.
I dont do mutual funds, I dont pay management fees, I handle my own money, follow my own understanding of economics, but I am not a day trader, I may look at the market once a month if i remember to check on the trends.
I am up 28% for the year past. quite close to that for year before....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015