advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Forum Poll: what was your closest proximity to a shooting?
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 11, 2018 10:58PM
Poll
How close have you been to a shooting?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
37 votes were received.
I was the victim! 4

11%
I was right next to the victim... 0

0%
A few feet away... 9

24%
On the same block. 10

27%
A couple blocks away. 6

16%
Within a mile. 1

3%
I heard the shots in the distance. 2

5%
What shooting? You mean like whiskey shots? Yeah, bottoms up! 4

11%
I am M A V I C! 1

3%

An attempted carjacking just occurred a little while ago, the second driveway to my right. Closest I've been to gunfire. What about all of you?

Describe in detail if it doesn't give you too much PTSD. If, because it's of necessity potentially political, mods, I apologize and move this to the other side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 10:59PM by gabester.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Forum Poll: what was your closest proximity to a shooting?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 11, 2018 11:04PM
about 2 inches. He missed. Seriously.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 11, 2018 11:24PM
I was an EMT on a "shots fired" incident. The shooter had already been shot in the leg. The police were attempting to talk the shooter out of his gun, but at the last second before police took him down, he shot his friend in the groin. Isn't alcohol wonderful?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 11, 2018 11:25PM
Prior to the Atlanta Olympics starting, I was working (as a full-time volunteer) in the Olympic Village. A policeman got hit in the shoulder by a bullet on one side of the campus, a couple of blocks from where I was. They closed the village down for several hours - no one could get in or out. This was before any of the teams arrived, but after all the barriers had been set up and security was in place on the Georgia Tech campus.

Turns out it was a random bullet that had been fired in the air a long way from there. Quite unlucky that the policeman was hit. I don't think they ever figured out who fired the gun. Still, a scary thing. I believe that bullets tend to lose their spiral when coming down after being shot "straight up", and can sometimes tumble and not be much of a threat at all. But sometimes not. I've always wondered what damage is being done when you see or hear of celebrations in countries where lots of folk fire guns into the air.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 11, 2018 11:26PM
Heard gunshots on the street in front of my Seattle apartment one night but did not see who it was (called 911). I found a bullet casing on the sidewalk the next day.

I was also near a gunfight between 2 American GIs when I was in the Army. Nobody was hurt and they were soon shipped out.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 11, 2018 11:32PM
Please. I live in Yakima.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 11, 2018 11:43PM
Fair point.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 12, 2018 12:10AM
I was about 100 yards away from a guy who got shot buy a gang banger. This was about 3 years ago. Didn’t see it happen, but saw the guy on the floor after turning around because of the gunshot. And saw the other guy getting into a car. Read about it and heard the conviction last year.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 12, 2018 05:17AM
As the station wagon passed the scene, little Cub Scout me watched as a man ran from a store, and then a shopkeeper in a white apron ran out after him with a shotgun and fired once. And the first mans head just... exploded and his body just collapsed to the sidewalk. I was a few feet away when it happened, and then my Den Mother turned the car down another street. I don’t think anyone else in the car saw it happen. I just sat and stared for a couple of days and didn’t say anything. I was perhaps 8 years old.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2018 06:16AM
......we all have....by cupid's arrow........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 12, 2018 07:25AM
Where is the I pulled the trigger question?

Just asking?

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 07:26AM by Bernie.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2018 07:28AM
Probably a few miles when a crazy person opened fire at Penn State.

I lived in Hawaii for four years, so I was probably closer to some shooting I never heard about since it's a small island.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 12, 2018 07:32AM
Was in a high rise and heard cop cars racing somewhere. Looked out a window and saw a cop car race down a street a couple of blocks away. He turned, went a couple of blocks to the edge of a residential area and then all hell broke loose. A dozen or so cop cars flooded to the scene, and what sounded like a war movie went on for about half an hour.

Turns out it was some flipped out guy, loaded for bear, with semi auto magic weapons, body armor and helmet, hunkered down behind his car in the middle of the street. Cars approaching the scene from different directions hit the brakes and threw it into reverse.

When it was over and went to our car, some cars parked nearby had bulletholes. A coworker who lived in the area had to take cover in his bathtub when a few stray bullets went through his apartment.

I don’t remember the what the casualties were, but the cop in the first cop car we saw arrive at the scene was killed almost immediately.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 12, 2018 08:04AM
Live gunfire and car accidents are two sounds I never forget.
Neither sound anything like in the movies.
Posted by: blooz
Date: January 12, 2018 08:28AM
I was the victim of a burglary.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2018 08:29AM
....shoot....the moon....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 12, 2018 08:50AM
Random shooting in the crosswalk outside my balcony by a crazy person. I went out to catch an Uber and might have been within yards of the guy.

[www.ajc.com]
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 12, 2018 08:57AM
In civilian world, about 15' back in the 1960s. Saw a cop in Macon, GA shoot a man. Don't know outcome, but cop was nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 12, 2018 10:12AM
Lux Interior
Probably a few miles when a crazy person opened fire at Penn State.

I lived in Hawaii for four years, so I was probably closer to some shooting I never heard about since it's a small island.

I never heard about that. I was in my 4th year at Penn State in '96. Then again, I went to Behrend, so it is its own world. Only part of PSU on the diploma. It's more like a small ivy league engineering school. Or it was when I graduated. The last I'd heard about Behrend, the student body had about doubled and they'd admitted a few women to the school. That would have been a welcome improvement when I went there.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 12, 2018 10:13AM
About 6~8 feet. Felon's last words: "you'll have to kill me; go ahead and shoot"! He then started to draw his own revolver. Fortunately for me, I can follow instructions VERY well. old fogey smiley
Posted by: DP
Date: January 12, 2018 10:32AM
I was the shooter! At the skeet range-

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 12, 2018 11:58AM
I've bagged a few bottles and cans.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 12, 2018 12:01PM
testcase
About 6~8 feet. Felon's last words: "you'll have to kill me; go ahead and shoot"! He then started to draw his own revolver. Fortunately for me, I can follow instructions VERY well. old fogey smiley

I was going to point out that "I pulled the trigger" should be one of the options.

A friend of mine tells a story about him as a cop and choosing not to shoot a suspect. A fight ensued, and after minutes of that, he ended up on the ground. The suspect came up with a gun, pointed it at my friend's head at point blank range, and pulled the trigger.

The gun misfired.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 12, 2018 12:05PM
We don't get anywhere near the number of gun incidents as you lot however during the 1970s and 1980s I did get the impression that the IRA were following me about during their bombing campaign of mainland Britain. I was outside Harrods when that one went off (fortunately for me the other side), we left a pub in Guildford half an hour before the bomb went off and I had to go to Birmingham the day after that atrocity.

Paul

Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 12, 2018 12:17PM
Well, I live in Baltimore so I probably don't need to say anything more.

However, the only murder I've been close to was on the Eastern Shore of MD. We were in the car in the parking lot waiting for my parents to come out of the store when a man walked up to a woman and emptied a gun into her, maybe the equivalent of a half a block or so from our car. Ex-husband upset about her new boyfriend, according to the newspaper.

Posted by: JPK
Date: January 12, 2018 12:33PM
I am in Chicago, so I think that disqualifies me from participating. We would skew the results of a poll like this.

JPK
Posted by: Randalls
Date: January 12, 2018 12:37PM
Left a concert (Kiss and B.O.C) in downtown Indy many years ago. We left early for an interview of one of the bands at a local hotel. We left the venue and crossed the street next to an alley by a downtown club called the Red Garter and someone lit off some firecrackers (we thought). By the time we crossed the street there were about 6 cop cars and an ambulance. Apparently the boyfriend of a dancer at the club had taken exception to some comment or advances of one of the patrons and they stepped outside. By the sound of it the boyfriend was on the receiving end of a 22 auto barrage. He did not make it.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 12, 2018 12:44PM
JPK
I am in Chicago, so I think that disqualifies me from participating. We would skew the results of a poll like this.

JPK

Ditto, but from New Orleans.

Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 12, 2018 01:11PM
Not gunfire, but when in Israel, I pipe-bomb exploded in a stairwell about 50 yards from where we were. Fortunately, no one was injured.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 12, 2018 02:32PM
DavidS
Not gunfire, but when in Israel, I pipe-bomb exploded in a stairwell about 50 yards from where we were. Fortunately, no one was injured.
Holy crap!

Posted by: pdq
Date: January 12, 2018 02:45PM
cbelt3
As the station wagon passed the scene, little Cub Scout me watched as a man ran from a store, and then a shopkeeper in a white apron ran out after him with a shotgun and fired once. And the first mans head just... exploded and his body just collapsed to the sidewalk. I was a few feet away when it happened, and then my Den Mother turned the car down another street. I don’t think anyone else in the car saw it happen. I just sat and stared for a couple of days and didn’t say anything. I was perhaps 8 years old.

Yikes.

Was this typical of your neighborhood?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 12, 2018 08:13PM
I should add that I have a concealed carry permit, been around guns all my life, military, and as I type in my own house, I am armed. Do not Tread on Me Nor Mine®.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: January 12, 2018 08:16PM
Was at a gun show in the early 90's with my Dad and ex-wife.
Kid got pissed at one of the dealers that told him to quit playing with the pistols for sale.
Slipped one round of 9mm into the chamber of the gun, and walked away.
Next customer pointed the pistol at the ground next to his foot and pulled the trigger. Shrapnel hit him in the leg, along with a bystander.
My Dad and I hit the ground, ex was standing up, asking "what was that?"
Gun show required zip ties immobilizing the action of firearms at the next show.
Still had a negligent discharge of an "unloaded" shotgun several years later, knucklehead fired while showing security that his gun was empty.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 14, 2018 10:30AM
I pulled my buddy out of a fight! We ran out the door, across the parking lot, and I heard "whiiiiip, whiiiip" on my right side, then gunshots! I nearly @#$%& myself from fear!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 14, 2018 01:12PM
So many interesting stories posted here! I guess I just lead a safe, boring life. The closest I ever came was about a half block away from work, while in the parking lot chatting with coworkers.

We worked 2nd shift at the time, and with OT, we would work past last call. We would load up a cooler with brew ha ha's and have a couple after work while waiting for the parking lot to clear. On several different occasions, we would hear gunshots just up the street in a residential area, maybe a half block away.

Once we figured out this was a frequent occurrence, we moved our little get together down by the river, in a park. It seemed much safer.

Oh, I just remembered another incident at work, many years later. I just missed a guy who ambushed his wife and boyfriend in the parking lot before 1st shift started. He jumped out when he saw the two of them getting out of the same vehicle and opened up on them, killing both. He fled the scene right before I got there. I may have passed him on the road!

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015