advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ugh.. lost all my mail.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 12, 2018 05:38AM
Accidentally deleted my archive mail folder instead of the Trash folder. I looked at Gmail, but Mail erased those at the gmail site as well, so can't just redo from there. I assume I can reimport or restore them from Time Machine?

However, I'm not having any luck finding the mail library in TM, or should I just restore the entire mail program from yesterday?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ugh.. lost all my mail.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 12, 2018 05:58AM
The Mail folder containing your messages is in the hidden Library folder in your home folder.

The Mail folder that you need to "import" from your Time Machine backup to restore your archive (and copies of all of the other messages that you had in your various mailboxes) into an "on my Mac" collection is in an invisible folder in the Time Machine backups.backupdb folder.

Make sure that you have plenty of hard drive capacity available on your boot drive to restore your email to Apple Mail.

Navigate through the folder hierarchy on your backup drive to find a backup folder dated from before you deleted your email.

Find your home folder in this backup.

Open the Finder's Go > Go to Folder window. Drag the home folder from the backup onto the Go to Folder window and you should see that the contents of this window will fill in and show the UNIX path to that folder. Complete the path so that it ends in "/Library" (without the quotes). Click the "Go" button and you should see that you're looking at the contents of the Library folder within the Time Machine backup folder. There will be a Mail folder in this window.

In Apple Mail, use the File > Import Mailboxes command. Tick the box to import data from Apple Mail. Click "Continue" and it will open a window for you to select the Mail folder that it will import from.

Drag-drop the Mail folder (from the Library window that you just opened) onto the import-window. Click the button to "Choose" that folder.

This will import all of the old email from the backup into a new folder in Apple Mail.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 12, 2018 06:58AM
Om,

You may or may not be able to restore from Time Machine. What mail protocol are you using? POP or IMAP? Definitely more difficult to restore, possibly impossible, if IMAP since your mail isn't necessarily stored locally on your machine.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 12, 2018 12:16PM
Robert M
Om,

You may or may not be able to restore from Time Machine. What mail protocol are you using? POP or IMAP? Definitely more difficult to restore, possibly impossible, if IMAP since your mail isn't necessarily stored locally on your machine.

Robert

Some is IMAP, some isn't.. it will be an adventure I'm sure

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2018 12:45PM
....what about all the femail......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 12, 2018 04:19PM
NewtonMP2100
....what about all the femail......??

Yep. Have always wondered, if we have Mailmen, why we don't also have Femailmen. Maybe it's just too confusing. But it's easier to say than Mailwomen.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 12, 2018 04:20PM
Ombligo
Robert M
Om,

Robert

One reason I still like POP mail, even if I have to jump through a few hoops in syncing between my Mac and iPhone.

Good luck.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 12, 2018 05:18PM
Ombligo
Robert M
Om,

Robert

What are you talking about? You'd have to jump through some hoops to ensure that some of you IMAP mailboxes aren't synced to your computer.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 12, 2018 10:04PM
Onamuji
Ombligo
Robert M
Om,

Robert

What are you talking about? You'd have to jump through some hoops to ensure that some of you IMAP mailboxes aren't synced to your computer.

It depends on the mail application. Mail by default keeps a local copy of your IMAP messages, but I'm sure not all of them do this by default.

The problem with a restore I imagine, is what will happen when you regain network connectivity with the restore in place. Will Gmail assume those messages were supposed to be deleted and just delete them again? Or will it actually accept them and copy them back into Gmail? It might be safest to stay offline during the restore, then copy the message from the "IMAP" folder into a local folder, then go back online, then copy the messages back to the Gmail IMAP folder.
Date: January 12, 2018 10:51PM
Gareth
The problem with a restore I imagine, is what will happen when you regain network connectivity with the restore in place. Will Gmail assume those messages were supposed to be deleted and just delete them again? Or will it actually accept them and copy them back into Gmail? It might be safest to stay offline during the restore, then copy the message from the "IMAP" folder into a local folder, then go back online, then copy the messages back to the Gmail IMAP folder.

Importing from the backup Mail folder brings it in as "on my computer" email. The messages will be completely independent of any mail server until and unless the user copies the messages from their computer to a mailbox on the mail server which is completely optional.

Gmail will not delete messages that are copied to an IMAP folder from an "on my computer" folder... Unless you copy the messages into the Trash folder, in which case they will be deleted automatically in 30 days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015