advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looks like I'm fianally going to be X Rated
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 16, 2006 07:01AM
This is a learning curve I've been avoiding. . . but a massive crash last week convinced me that its time to bite the X bullet.

I have no X experience and/or programs. I do have an old G3 500 w/80 gigs partitioned 60/20\356. The system (9.1) on the 60 side is shot and I'm replacing it with some version or other of X.

This is the tutorial for me to learn X then upgrade to a whole new Mac.

So what flavor of X is the one I need to acquire and install? I currently have an original OSX disk,but I never install version 1.0 of anything anyway.

What disk do I need to buy and why am I not feeling all that excited by the prospect?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looks like I'm fianally going to be X Rated
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 16, 2006 07:08AM
I think you at least want 10.3.9... However, how much memory do you have? You willl want at least 512 MB or 1 gig...

What about leaving your G3 alone and picking up a MacMINI? Think of it this way... You'll get 512MB Ram, Newer Computer, 10.4, iLife 2006 (Might need to send them $10.00 for processing)...

Just a thought.

Bill
Date: January 16, 2006 07:22AM
I'm going to buy a new Mac. I'd like to know what the hell I'm doing before that AND I need something to run my classic programs for a bit.

As example, I rely on one classic program that has just become available for X. The X version is an $800 upgrade.

So it not the cost of the hardware, its the lack of experience w/X AND the horror stories I've heard over the years AND the software upgrade cost that have kept me from doing this before.

I'm a little step kind of person. I figure if I can get a bit use to X on an old machine, I can justify the 5 grand or so I estimate the changeover will eventually cost me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2006 08:09AM by RgrF.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 16, 2006 08:04AM
Just jump in and swim...

It really isn't all that different and if you keep both around you'll just keep going back to the old familier OS9.

The biggest differences for most folks is the dock in place of the apple menu and creating folders now requires holding down the shift key.

Who knows maybe you'll eventually change to the new Patriots logo too.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 16, 2006 08:11AM
The only problem I see with what you are going to do is that when you get your new machine it will be running Tiger and then you will have another learning curve. I don't know if your G3 will run Tiger or not, but I would not want to learn Panther then have to learn Tiger a short time later.

The idea of a mini seems like a good one to me, too. It would allow you to use Tiger on a machine that was made to run it and you would have the new iLife apps to play around with too. You could always sell the mini when you finally decide which new machine you really want. That way you can set your G3 up as a dedicated 9 machine and not overtax it trying to run Tiger and 9. Just my 2¢ worth.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 16, 2006 08:16AM
Ombligo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just jump in and swim...
>
> It really isn't all that different and if you keep
> both around you'll just keep going back to the old
> familier OS9.
>
> The biggest differences for most folks is the dock
> in place of the apple menu and creating folders
> now requires holding down the shift key.
>
> Who knows maybe you'll eventually change to the
> new Patriots logo too.

Hey now. I was at Fenway Park watching that team long before there was a Foxboro. The logo looks like something the team owners ten year old drew and is now hard to find; not to worry, I'll be hoisting the Red Sox logo soon.

Date: January 16, 2006 08:27AM
rgG Wrote:
> The only problem I see with what you are going to
> do is that when you get your new machine it will
> be running Tiger and then you will have another
> learning curve. I don't know if your G3 will run
> Tiger or not, but I would not want to learn
> Panther then have to learn Tiger a short time
> later.
>
> The idea of a mini seems like a good one to me,
> too. It would allow you to use Tiger on a machine
> that was made to run it and you would have the new
> iLife apps to play around with too. You could
> always sell the mini when you finally decide which
> new machine you really want. That way you can set
> your G3 up as a dedicated 9 machine and not
> overtax it trying to run Tiger and 9. Just my 2¢
> worth.

So the differences (Panther-Tiger) are that enormous? I'm at a lifestage where there are more important things than having an up to the minute command of computer systems.

I coach my grandsons (10 yr old) basketball team. This interests me far more than anything else.

The rest is just stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2006 08:32AM by RgrF.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 16, 2006 09:10AM
I am also late to OS X as I work in OS9 on the job and for my music work at home.

I found the Mac OS X: The Missing Manual,by Pogue to be a great help when I started using Panther. IMHO, once you know Panther, Tiger isn't that difficult to pick up.

JoeM
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 16, 2006 09:29AM
Roger,

You should seriously keep your eyes open for a Mini.

I just went from a Smurf, which was upgraded to a G4/450 (with other items like an ATA card, etc.) and 1GB of RAM and a DVD-r, to a Mini.

The mini is a rev 1.

It is configured as follows:

1.42GHz
256MB RAM
32MB Radeon 9200
80GB 4200rpm drive
Combo DVD/CDRW
Modem

(no Blue/Wireless)

It was new, in box, for $323 plus tax.

It's a little screamer!

I ran my Smurf and Panther with just 256MB just to be sure Panther worked well before I made this jump. Was it a little slower? Yes. Did it run perfectly - and the virtual memory perform well? Absolutely.

So I bought it.

Right now, as I'm typing this, I've got Safari open and Mail.app.

AND... Folding@Home, the king of processor hogs.

Does it WANT more RAM? Sure. It could definitely use the extra $75 of 1GB RAM. Does it NEED it from the get-go? Hell no. Especially if you aren't trying to fold and do other things simultaneously.

My troubles with system aspects and Colonel Panic (now known as 5-Star General "Old Blood and Guts" Panic) have VANISHED.

It just doesn't get better than this for the money.

The bigger drives in the Blue and White - and the DVD-R, etc., they are all there, but the machine sits dorment for the moment. I've not had a single use for it since I did the 25 DVD back-up of critical data from 4 HDs.

Could you get a G4 tower for a bargain? Probably. Let's say a Sawtooth for ....$125.
You might want a burner in it if it didn't come with one, or a faster one. More RAM. Etc., etc. The list grows.

When you get to the point where it is where you want it, you'll certainly be as close to the price of the Mini I just got to make you question your sanity about getting an old Tower that requires $300 to get a 1.5GHz upgrade into it (granted you could get a dual upgrade, but those are $600) and the question worth asking is.... beyond Tiger, what else is there for such a machine?

Eventually I'm going to get the OWC matching FW/USB2 hub for the Mini. [eshop.macsales.com]

And inside it will go my 7200/8MB Maxtor (120GB). Perhaps another FW box for the DVD-R I have, but in reality, there are other drives out there I like better, including the Lacie 16x Dual Layer with LightScribe (and Toast 7) that can be had, refurb, for $99!
(OWC has Pioneer OEM recognized Dual Layer SuperDrives to replace the Combo - but they aren't LightScribe).

The Mini was one of the best things Apple could have done. It certainly killed my desire to get a Cube. It's fast, it is capable, it is good for just about everything. You clearly aren't a Video Pro - otherwise you'd already have a G4 tower of some magnitude, if not a G5.

If you find a Mini at a good price, it is such a small purchase that you can't regret it.

Just keep in mind that you need a USB keyboard and mouse, and a standard VGA monitor of some kind (keeping costs low) if you only have a Macintosh/Trinitron monitor.

I know some people have used those converters, but I've never seen one work. And even GoodWill has bargains for $15 on 17" monitors.

j

ps... the older rev 1's like I have come with Panther, iLife '05, and runs smooth as silk
Date: January 16, 2006 09:29AM
Good suggestion Joe. I like Pogue. His writing style is great. It's folksy but doesn't interrupt the message. I'm for sure gonna' get that title.

Not only that but the guy actually responds to unsolicited emails. Only once, I swear.
Date: January 16, 2006 09:34AM
Jeeesus Jimmy. Forget the mini. Can I buy some of whatever you have?
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 16, 2006 09:38AM
OSX is actually much easier than OS9, and most of the "horror" stories you hear are from the inability of people to stop installing haxies and crap, and the basic human problem of whining instead of learning. OSX is powerful, smooth, secure, and crash free.

Sometimes I cannot believe how many apps I have open at once, how many services are being run on this Mac. I rarely quit an app anymore, and this machine is a server for two EyeHomes, it serves up all my EyeTV programs, plus running several Plextor's. and EyeTV 200's and it has over 350 DVD's ripped to the hard drive, that are served out to the EyeHome's.

Oh, BTW, the Mac that I do all the serving on is a lowly DP450 with 2GB of RAM, 2X120GB HD's, and a 1TB LaCie drive.

BGnR
Date: January 16, 2006 09:38AM
Just Kidding Jim ;)
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: January 16, 2006 09:54AM
RgrF goes X.

But will he run afoul of community decency standards?

;)
Date: January 16, 2006 10:02AM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> RgrF goes X.
>
> But will he run afoul of community decency
> standards?

I live in LA. We pride ourselves on the lack of any discernable standard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2006 10:08AM by RgrF.
Posted by: freescotland
Date: January 16, 2006 10:56AM
Where did you find the mini for $323?

Looking for one for my niece.

Posted by: Guitarman
Date: January 16, 2006 05:17PM
I'm using X at the studio. I'm an OS9 diehard and X is really easy and very cool.

Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: January 16, 2006 06:19PM
A belated - LEADER!

Sweet Mac mini deal!

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2006 06:19PM by OWC Larry.
Date: January 17, 2006 10:54PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, even got some detailed PMs that should help me sort it out. Bookmarking this.

Are there copy restrictions on Panther or tiger. Can you install it on as many machines as you own or do they try to control it like MS does with Office?

Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 11, 2006 06:57AM
There are no copy restrictions on the retail version of Tiger, and before the moralists jump in, let me say that technically, based on the EULA, the OS is meant for one machine only.

It seems that the OS X versions that come with the machines machines are tied to that particular machine. I tried taking both the Panther and Tiger upgrade disks from a mini and installing it on a 500mhz Firewire-equipped iMac and it wouldn't alow me to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018