advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Review of 4 items: two suck.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 12, 2018 01:05PM
Does not suck: Ecobee thermostat: love it!! Has more than paid for itself in the year I've had it, and it Just Works®. Control house temperature from Tanganyika.

Sucks (as it should): Shark vacuum cleaner: had it about 8 months, long enough to know. I have always hated bagless vacuums, but this one is easy and not so much of a mess to clean and empty!

Does not suck: Ring® doorbell. Love this thing! It was $179, and also Just Works® as it should. I just check around my house, live, with sound. The other day my pest control man came, talked to him. It was good, because he had a young trainee with him. One negative: battery only lasts one month, but easy enough to fix by just connecting to my doorbell wires, as soon as I install the new transformer/whatchamacallit in attic so it can be hardwired to doorbell wire, then no more battery issues at all.

Sucks: Nest thermostat. Had it about three months, enough to know it sucks. I'd never buy another one.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 01:37PM by GuyGene.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Review of 3 items: two suck.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2018 01:08PM
....hey, thanks.......suck it to me one more time......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 12, 2018 01:08PM
Thanks for the revue GG!
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2018 01:38PM
I bought a Shark vacuum recommended here - great price on amz - thanks whoever that was. This thing sucks up my very beautiful kitty's very long, very thin hair easily! And I am grateful. I've never had a long, thin haired cat before - it's a challenge and a real vacuum makes it possible. Did I mention that I'm allergic to cats?
Re: Review of 4 items: two suck.
Date: January 12, 2018 01:42PM
Oh me hal, Ethyl's cat loving brother is also allergic to cats. His last one recently went to that Great Cat Heaven in The Sky®.

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 12, 2018 02:06PM
GuyGene,

The battery in our Ring Doorbell 2 lasted four months. I bought an extra battery. When the original is down to 10% charge, I break out the spare and charge it. After the spare is charged, I swap'em.

I suspect the battery life is very much dependent on how the doorbell is configured.

Robert
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 12, 2018 02:22PM
Why do you hate the Nest and love the Ecobee? We've had Nest for years, and it just works. Don't know much about Ecobee. So it'd be of interest to know just how/why you are thinking the Ecobee is so much better? App? Intelligent scheduling? Not challenging your opinion, just wondering what things led you to it.
Date: January 12, 2018 02:23PM
Oh, thanks Robert! Problem is we are sometimes away from this place as much as 3 months. It’s okay though since I will connect to power soon. These are great, aren’t they?! I want to record thug while he’s outside, not once he’s broken in! I pay the $99 a year so Ring also has me covered even if jerk were to yank it off. We’d have video of rascal. “Did I ALARM you?” Hehehehe, love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 02:23PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 12, 2018 02:24PM
hal
I bought a Shark vacuum recommended here - great price on amz - thanks whoever that was. This thing sucks up my very beautiful kitty's very long, very thin hair easily! And I am grateful. I've never had a long, thin haired cat before - it's a challenge and a real vacuum makes it possible. Did I mention that I'm allergic to cats?

We have one with extremely long hair. as in inches long. It gets everywhere. We also have a Shark, and it does pretty well. Gotta do the diligent brushing, though. If you let up for even a few weeks, you will have a very unhappy cat when you try to go back to the brush again. Dreadlock city.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 12, 2018 02:26PM
I've got an old-school simple wireless doorbell. I think the button's battery is on something like its 15th year.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2018 03:44PM
bfd
hal

We have one with extremely long hair. as in inches long. It gets everywhere. We also have a Shark, and it does pretty well. Gotta do the diligent brushing, though. If you let up for even a few weeks, you will have a very unhappy cat when you try to go back to the brush again. Dreadlock city.

SHe's the only cat I've ever known that LOVES to be brushed.
Date: January 12, 2018 04:26PM
bfd, Ecobee was first of these I had, and it spoils you. Research and my power company having a discount led me to Ecobee, some research here. Also discount on Nest, that's why I bought it. Very elegant compared to convoluted Nest. Ecobee is much simple to set up, and I've never had a problem with it at all. I've had connection issues with Nest.

One more thing: Nest will NOT stay set where I want it! And I can’t find a way to make it work. Keeps going back down from where I want it. Freezes me!! Ecobee will stay right where I want, easily. I’m learning to hate this thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 05:22PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2018 04:34PM
GuyGene
Sucks: Nest thermostat. Had it about three months, enough to know it sucks. I'd never buy another one.

I hear this pretty consistently about Nest thermostats.

It is what it is.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 12, 2018 05:15PM
hal

I was terribly allergic to cats. I went to an allergist and had shots for at least a year. Allergy gone!
YMMV?

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 12, 2018 09:00PM
We bought a shark right after we bought this house in 2016 and after my Mother's Hoover broke beyond repair and are very pleased with it. The ONLY problem is that tools have to be stored; some of them hang on the vacuum but they are easily knocked off.

My wife leaves more curly hair around the house than the cat!

The cat LOVES the knobby glove that I use to brush him. He wasn't so sure at first, but now plops down on the steps for a thorough brushing. I think that only one time has he gotten up to leave before I was done; every other time I get tired of brushing before he does.

something like this: [www.chewy.com]
Date: January 13, 2018 03:37AM
Don, my dog and I love chewy.com!!

Wife’s long hair reminds me of what LaMiont said to Fred G. Sanford after Fred canceled his marriage: “Yeah Pop, and women leave them all long hairs all over the bathroom.” smiley-laughing001

Posted by: Michael
Date: January 13, 2018 06:56AM
We got a Ring because I replace the front door that had a clear window area with one that was frosted. It turns out my dear wife would peak and see who was at the door before she answered and the frosted door makes her nervous. I hooked up the Ring to our wired connection so I don't have to worry about batteries. I downloaded the app to our phones and also to a spare iPhone that she leaves in her workroom. I also connected it to the Amazon Show. It's very cool. I see a $30 per year subscription for a single one and a $100 per year for multiple Rings.

The Ecobee 3 with 3 sensors is on sale at Costco online this month for $200 if anybody is interested.

If you're building/remodeling a house, I'd strongly suggest looking at a built-in vacuum system. I grew up with one in my parents house. We put one into our house when we built 30 years ago. It just chugs along. It's great to have all the dirt go into a big canister in the basement with an exhaust to the outside. Twice a year I take the canister outside and cover it with a big garbage bag and turn it over into the bag, tie it and toss it. They can be retrofitted into houses; I did that with our first house since I had basement access and attic access and I could get the piping into the walls without any problem.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 13, 2018 07:35AM
The Ecobee 3 with 3 sensors is on sale at Costco online this month for $200 if anybody is interested.

Call me old-fashioned, but I just can't see paying big money for a "smart" thermostat. I get up, I turn up the heat. I leave the house, I turn it down. I come home, I turn it back up. I go to bed, I turn it down. I don't need yet something else that I have to keep charged, install it properly, and install a new app and learn that so I can impress people by being able to adjust my thermostat from my phone...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 13, 2018 09:38AM
DP

Call me old-fashioned, but I just can't see paying big money for a "smart" thermostat. I get up, I turn up the heat. I leave the house, I turn it down. I come home, I turn it back up. I go to bed, I turn it down. I don't need yet something else that I have to keep charged, install it properly, and install a new app and learn that so I can impress people by being able to adjust my thermostat from my phone...

That’s nuthin. When I am gonna leave the house, I don’t put a log on the fire. When I come back, I put a log on the fire.

None of this new-fangled “furnaces” and “thermostats” fer me. No sirree!

wink smiley
Date: January 13, 2018 10:59AM
DP and pdq, well y'all boys must not like to save money, cold solid lucres, then. Because my Ecobee is saving money for me as I type 400 miles away. Then, when I go back next week, about 3 hours before I arrive, I'll just set temperature to where I want it, house will be nice and warm for me. Y'all will never out old fashion me and saving money is about as old fashioned as life gets.

It's simple. Bought Ecobee via power company discount, installed, recovered initial cost in 6-8 months, since then it's been putting money back in my accounts, where it belongs. Come on in boys, saving money is fun. Excuse me while I go buy a high dollar Starbucks with the money I saved.

(That last one will get to any old fashioned boys real quick. Kind of like bad mouthing marijuana to a hippy. popcorn smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 11:01AM by GuyGene.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 13, 2018 11:03AM
I'm with you on the Ring doorbell, wired. Works great. We also have a Ring spotlight covering the back door, which would never be used by a legitimate visitor, but that does nicely capture the goings-on of midnight raccoons, skunks, possums, and the occasional feral cat.

These movie stars' careers will be summarily ended in insensitive ways if/when they mess with our garbage, but that hasn't happened in a few years so it is possible that carnal knowledge of our trash cans has simply been deleted from the gene pool.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 13, 2018 08:07PM
GuyGene
DP and pdq, well y'all boys must not like to save money, cold solid lucres, then. Because my Ecobee is saving money for me as I type 400 miles away. Then, when I go back next week, about 3 hours before I arrive, I'll just set temperature to where I want it, house will be nice and warm for me. Y'all will never out old fashion me and saving money is about as old fashioned as life gets.

It's simple. Bought Ecobee via power company discount, installed, recovered initial cost in 6-8 months, since then it's been putting money back in my accounts, where it belongs. Come on in boys, saving money is fun. Excuse me while I go buy a high dollar Starbucks with the money I saved.

(That last one will get to any old fashioned boys real quick. Kind of like bad mouthing marijuana to a hippy. popcorn smiley)

Not quite sure how it saves you money. If it turns up your heat three hours before you get home, that's three hours more it's running as opposed to turning it up when you get home. How much of a discount do you get from your power company? Where exactly do the savings come from?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: January 14, 2018 09:57AM
DP, look, I actually SEE the savings on my GA Power account historical usage area online. Before/after Ecobee is clear. You mean you like being gone some days and either have house cold from turning thermostat down to save money, or having heat continually running so it will be warm when you return? Same for summer. Zero power company discount, only discount was on price of thermostat. Hey, the Ecobee Just Works. And keeps house very comfortable. I dont care to know how nor details of it. I MUST have house comfortable year round. And, since I am so old fashioned, I like saving money like the real old geezers did. Some anyway. Like my depression era parents...

And kind of like the Ring doorbells, I can be in Nagano and control temperature. If I forgot to turn down when I left, it take me about 5 seconds to set it how I want. From anywhere. You remind me of friend from Vietnam days, old Bruce from Missouri. Epitomized Show Me state.

Michael, built in vacuum, eh? Thanks, I'll check into that for house we are totally rebuilding.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 10:04AM by GuyGene.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 14, 2018 11:56PM
Hey, I'm only 3 weeks into the Nest thing, so maybe I'll eventually hate it, but as of now it definitely doesn't suck. It seems that your biggest beef with the Nest is that it turned the temp down more often than you'd like—a feature that can be easily disabled by turning off automatic scheduling. Yet your biggest plus about the Ecobee is how much money you saved...when the Nest probably would have saved you more.

I never understood the big deal about this "learning" function, but I'm lazy, and I'm rarely cognizant of adjusting to save energy. Of course I try to keep temps in a certain range, but I usually only adjust when I'm uncomfortably hot or uncomfortably cold, and I'm lousy at setting schedules when my family's personal schedules vary so widely. I have a simpler WiFi enabled programmable thermostat in our 2nd zone, and when left to me, I rarely touch it. The Nest is a vast improvement, and with a rebate it was the same price as the basic Honeywell in zone 2. It will definitely save me money. I don't regret it at all, and I'll likely replace the Honeywell with another Nest.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 15, 2018 05:49AM
Hi everyone,

Love our Ring doorbell. Some minor issues with it but overall it performs exceptionally well. The biggest problem wasn't power. We can't hardwire the doorbell. So, we went battery. No issues at all.

The wifi connection, on the other hand, is an issue that took some work to resolve. The Ring hardware is awful when it comes to receiving a signal. Not sure why but I've confirmed it in multiple locations. Our doorbell is just outside of our apartment. The only way for it to get a "good" signal by its standards was to place an Airport Express on the opposite side of the wall. Meaning, if you're inside and could drill through the wall at the location of the Airport Express, you'd drill right into the doorbell.

The same issue affects the Ring doorbells at my parent's house and other places. It's definitely a flaw in the design.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015