advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2010 MBP Spiffed Up with 1TB SSD—Update OS?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 12, 2018 03:08PM
Finally did it: Installed an OWC 6G 1TB SSD in my mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro (8 GB RAM). The original 256GB spinning drive was SMART-status 'failing'; now the computer runs as fast as new—or faster!

I created a SuperDuper! clone, and reversed the copy from the clone to the new drive, so the software and OS are the same as I was running: 10.9.5.

I'm wondering if it's best for this 8-year-old machine to leave the OS where it was, or to update it to maybe 10.12 (Sierra), which is the OS my new 2015 iMac is running.

OSX Daily says my MBP will run High Sierra as well, but there have been enough cautions here about this OS iteration to suggest make me hesitate:
[osxdaily.com]

Omanuji has often said that later OSes add a burden to older hardware. Does upgrading to an SSD obviate that, or are there other hardware considerations?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2010 MBP Spiffed Up with 1TB SSD—Update OS?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 12, 2018 03:43PM
I dont see any problem with running 10.9.

1 TB SSD is huge (considering you hadnt filled the original 256 GB HDD, seems like 500 GB would ahve been fine?) -- if you wanted to partition the drive and try a newer OS, you could.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 12, 2018 04:15PM
I'm also on a 2010 MBP. also with a 1 TB SSD. Hoping to get all my photos in one place at some point. I also took it up to 16 GB memory.

My 2010 is on Mac OS 10.11, El Capitan. I've not looked at the details in a while, but you get some nice features which I think Mavericks lacks.

Can Mavericks do:
- AirPlay
- Link to a phone for sending messages and receiving phone calls on your Mac
- Safari 11, which is more secure and has a feature to block autoplay of videos on web sites

There may be a few other items, but these are the ones I'm using.

I don't think 10.11 (or maybe the 2010 MBP) directly supports Handoff, but I think there is a hack that can make it work. Hasn't been important to me, so I've not pursued it.

So far I've not seen any reason to go to Sierra or High Sierra. Apple may tell us otherwise if the recent Intel processor issues are not going to be fixed in anything but High Sierra.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 12, 2018 04:31PM
Mr Lynn,

You might consider El Capitan or Sierra for the security features. Your SSD will in fact "obviate" the greater load on the processor from a newer OS.

I hope you cleaned the innards as best you could while you were installing the new drive. I was surprised how much dust had accumulated in my 2011 MBP 4 years ago when I installed my SSD. I think its time I cleaned it again.

mrlynn
Finally did it: Installed an OWC 6G 1TB SSD in my mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro (8 GB RAM). The original 256GB spinning drive was SMART-status 'failing'; now the computer runs as fast as new—or faster!

I created a SuperDuper! clone, and reversed the copy from the clone to the new drive, so the software and OS are the same as I was running: 10.9.5.

I'm wondering if it's best for this 8-year-old machine to leave the OS where it was, or to update it to maybe 10.12 (Sierra), which is the OS my new 2015 iMac is running.

OSX Daily says my MBP will run High Sierra as well, but there have been enough cautions here about this OS iteration to suggest make me hesitate:
[osxdaily.com]

Omanuji has often said that later OSes add a burden to older hardware. Does upgrading to an SSD obviate that, or are there other hardware considerations?

/Mr Lynn

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Date: January 12, 2018 04:47PM
One other thought: watch out for problems from the hard drive cable. The cable tends to short out where it folds over the edge of the DVD drive. I've had to replace the hard drive cable a couple of times on these MacBook Pros when the drive was swapped. If you start to have any drive-related issues, that will probably be why.

My modification is to put a bit of electrical tape on the corner of the DVD drive case where the hard drive cable folds over it, to help buffer the drive cable from the (relatively) sharp edge of the DVD drive.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: January 12, 2018 05:12PM
My 17" 2010 is humming along with High Sierra and no problems.
Posted by: ADent
Date: January 12, 2018 05:51PM
I got a 2010 MBP on Sierra (10.12) and it runs fine.

It has 10GB of RAM though.

I hate the email client on El Capitan (10.11) - on my Hackintosh. Otherwise haven't seen ton of changes since Mavericks (10.9).
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 12, 2018 06:18PM
mrlynn
.. The original 256GB spinning drive was SMART-status 'failing';
/Mr Lynn

Can you please tell me what hard Drive (Spinning) came in 256 GB size? Thanks.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 12, 2018 06:26PM
Hmmmmm.... hard to say. I usually try to go with latest system, but don't know for this one. confused smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: January 12, 2018 06:32PM
I tried upgrading to High Sierra, but it killed all the plug-ins that I had installed for GarageBand. Luckily, I had a clone and went back to Yosemite.
Date: January 12, 2018 07:14PM
jdc
I dont see any problem with running 10.9.

1 TB SSD is huge (considering you hadnt filled the original 256 GB HDD, seems like 500 GB would ahve been fine?) -- if you wanted to partition the drive and try a newer OS, you could.

The deal on 1TB was good, and that enables me to sync more of the files on my iMac, thus increasing backup redundancy.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 12, 2018 07:17PM
ADent
I got a 2010 MBP on Sierra (10.12) and it runs fine.

It has 10GB of RAM though.

I hate the email client on El Capitan (10.11) - on my Hackintosh. Otherwise haven't seen ton of changes since Mavericks (10.9).

I seem to recall that 8GB was the maximum RAM for the mid-2010 13" model. But with an SSD, it should be enough—right?

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 12, 2018 07:18PM
space-time
mrlynn
/Mr Lynn

My mistake; it's a 250.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 12, 2018 07:21PM
space-time
mrlynn
/Mr Lynn

Well, you need to look up the definition of space/time!
https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/51788/space-time
"Definition of: space/time
space/time

The following units of measure are used to define digital capacities and speeds. . . .

Storage Capacity Is Measured in:

Disk/tape/USB drive bytes
Memory (RAM) bytes

Disk are (in principal) measured in 8-bit bytes. But it become complicated when you get into physical vs. formatted capacity. Manufacturers have simplified the base-8 naming for marketing purposes.
https://www.cnet.com/news/available-hard-drive-space-block-sizes-and-size-terminology/
Many manufacturers use the literal interpretation of "thousand", "million", and "billion", for the prefixes Kilo, Mega, and Giga, respectively. This results in their calling a Kilobyte 1,000 bytes, when in reality a kilobyte to a computer is 1,024 bytes, which is based on the binary object size of 2^10 (closest number to 1000 in powers of 2), which is how the operating system and applications see a kilobyte. This results in a loss of 2.4 percent of the drive space based on definitions, which would report that 1 kilobyte as described by the manufacturer as ~0.98 kilobytes as interpreted by the computer. This scales up as you get into larger byte-size descriptions (Mega, Giga, Terra, and so on). For megabyte descriptions, the percentage lost is 4.8 percent, and for gigabyte descriptions the percentage lost is about 7.4 percent. As such, a drive that's advertised at 500GB using exactly 1 billion bytes per "gigabyte" in the description will actually be about 463GB to the computer. It's the same number of bytes, but different definitions for the terms used.

In addition, manufacturers sell drives based on how many GB can fit onto the platters, and not the amount that will be available to you after you have formatted it, because this amount may vary depending on the type of format and partition scheme you use. For the HFS format, you should see about a 6 percent to 9 percent reduction in size after formatting a drive with one partition. In addition to the the size conversions we mentioned above, extra space is used for the directory and index files used to locate and manage files on the disk.

Apple changed how it states disk capacity after Leopard (OS 10.5). Currently they use the decimal version:
[support.apple.com]

The operating system of your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac, reports storage capacity using the decimal system (base 10), which calculates 1GB as 1 billion bytes. This is the same measurement system used on the product packaging and specifications.

iOS 10 and earlier, and Mac OS X Leopard v10.5 and earlier, along with Microsoft Windows use the binary system (base 2), which calculates 1GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes. This difference between the decimal and binary systems of measurement is why the reported storage capacity differs from the storage capacity on the product packaging or specifications.

So, a quarter TB drive under the base 2 system would be 256 GB, not 250 GB.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 07:27PM by Winston.
Date: January 12, 2018 07:34PM
Winston
I'm also on a 2010 MBP. also with a 1 TB SSD. Hoping to get all my photos in one place at some point. I also took it up to 16 GB memory.

My 2010 is on Mac OS 10.11, El Capitan. I've not looked at the details in a while, but you get some nice features which I think Mavericks lacks.

Can Mavericks do:
- AirPlay
- Link to a phone for sending messages and receiving phone calls on your Mac
- Safari 11, which is more secure and has a feature to block autoplay of videos on web sites

There may be a few other items, but these are the ones I'm using.

I don't think 10.11 (or maybe the 2010 MBP) directly supports Handoff, but I think there is a hack that can make it work. Hasn't been important to me, so I've not pursued it.

So far I've not seen any reason to go to Sierra or High Sierra. Apple may tell us otherwise if the recent Intel processor issues are not going to be fixed in anything but High Sierra.

Good luck.

- Winston

AirPlay is not supported on pre-2011 MBPs:
[discussions.apple.com]

Messages is in the 10.9 Applications folder, so I assume it would work. Phone calls?

Dunno about Safari 11. Maybe not on 10.9?

I'm inclined to go up to Sierra, which I'm running on the iMac. That does have Safari 11.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 12, 2018 07:37PM
mrlynn
I seem to recall that 8GB was the maximum RAM for the mid-2010 13" model. But with an SSD, it should be enough—right?

/Mr Lynn

You are correct that 8 GB is the maximum Apple spec for the RAM. But if you get the right RAM, a 13" 2010 MBP can take 16 GB. Works for both the 2.4 GHz and 2.66 GHz models. Only true for the 13" 2010 model. The 15" and 17" 2010s can only take 8 GB.
[everymac.com]

*Originally, both the official and actual maximum RAM was 8 GB. However, as confirmed by site sponsor OWC, if running OS X 10.7.5 or higher, updated with the latest EFI, and equipped with proper specification memory modules, this model can support up to 16 GB of RAM.

OWC 2x8 GB Memory
[eshop.macsales.com]

Amazon: Crucial 2x8 GB Memory
[smile.amazon.com]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 07:43PM by Winston.
Date: January 12, 2018 07:39PM
Winston
So, a quarter TB drive under the base 2 system would be 256 GB, not 250 GB.

See, I was just remembering the old (more accurate?) days.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 12, 2018 07:49PM
[discussions.apple.com]

/Mr Lynn[/quote]

Works for me.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 12, 2018 07:52PM

[discussions.apple.com]

/Mr Lynn

Works for me.

[/quote]

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 12, 2018 07:52PM
MrLynn, I'd go for more RAM, too. As for the OS,I suggest that you upgrade an external clone of your internal system and run it for at least a few days to see whether anything breaks or drives you nuts.

You can use Firefox instead of Safari if you want a browser with the latest security fixes.

There are some interface changes that you may not enjoy. I find the transparency effects pointless and silly, but I didn't find that turning them off was an overall improvement. The system font is not as legible after Mavericks. I have installed Fira Sans as the system font on my post-Mavs drives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 07:59PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 12, 2018 09:04PM
With 8 Gigs and a SSD, Sierra should run fine.
Date: January 12, 2018 09:43PM
btfc

I agree.

----

Date: January 13, 2018 03:38PM
jdc
btfc

I agree.

My new late-2015 iMac came with 8GB and a 2TB Fusion drive, and no hiccups so far. Though it hasn't had to do any heavy lifting, either. My late-2009 iMac has 16GB, so if they use the same RAM, I could swap it over.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 13, 2018 04:05PM
ka jowct
MrLynn, I'd go for more RAM, too. As for the OS,I suggest that you upgrade an external clone of your internal system and run it for at least a few days to see whether anything breaks or drives you nuts.

You can use Firefox instead of Safari if you want a browser with the latest security fixes.

There are some interface changes that you may not enjoy. I find the transparency effects pointless and silly, but I didn't find that turning them off was an overall improvement. The system font is not as legible after Mavericks. I have installed Fira Sans as the system font on my post-Mavs drives.

Re RAM, others (above) say 8GB should be enough with an SSD.

My new 2015 iMac came with Sierra. Not sure what 'transparency effects' you're talking about, or how to turn them off. The system font does seem rather light, but the high-resolution Retina screen makes it easy to read. The screen on my old MBP may not like them as well. How did you change it? I don't see any options in System Prefs.

The MBP is my second computer, for using on the couch, or for traveling, and for playing CDs. Most of my computer time is spent on the desktop iMac. Mavericks works well on the MBP. But so far my existing applications seem to work OK on Sierra (including InDesign CS3), so I'm thinking of updating the MBP. If that would enable AirPlay, I definitely will.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 13, 2018 05:35PM
Is MacOS Sierra available? I don't see it on the App Store.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 14, 2018 01:08AM
2015 iMac ram is worlds different than ram for a 2009 iMac— no compatibility. Not even close

----

Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 14, 2018 10:43AM
My 2012 MacBook dual boots Lion and High Sierra. But, honestly, I rarely use Lion anymore...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: January 14, 2018 11:22AM
Installed Sierra (10.12.6) this morning. Had to search around the Apple site to find a download; Apple wants me to go to High Sierra. But I am wary after reading warnings about it here. Sierra seems to be working fine (knock wood!).

It did tell me Dropbox was 'incompatible software', but when I double-clicked on it, it loaded, so I moved it into the Applications folder.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 14, 2018 04:54PM
Hey Winston, how did you get AirPlay to work in your 2010 MBP? Since installing Sierra this morning, I see an AirPlay option in Sound Output Preferences, but not on Display Preferences. Sound does play through the AppleTV, but not video.

Am I missing a setting somewhere else?

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 14, 2018 09:08PM
I'm not an AirPlay expert. I just went to a YouTube video in Safari, and there was an AirPlay button on the video window. Let me select our Apple TV, and off it went. We have (I think) a 3rd generation Apple TV, which could make a difference.

Checked the Mac's Help, and it says that when AirPlay is available an AirPlay icon turns up in the menu bar, if your Mac and the Apple TV are on the same network. I just turned on our Apple TV, and did not get an icon in the menu bar. In System Preferences, AirPlay shows up under Sound>Output, but not under Displays.

Help article has a link to this Apple online article:
[support.apple.com]
"In OS X El Capitan or later, you can stream certain videos to your Apple TV from Safari or QuickTime Player (version 10). Click the AirPlay icon (if available) in the playback controls, then choose your Apple TV."

It works for YouTube videos, and it worked for a short video I recorded in QuickTime.

"Here's a quick way to find out if your Mac supports AirPlay: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Displays. If you don't see a “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available” checkbox, your Mac doesn't support AirPlay."

I have this option, and it's checked. But no AirPlay icon in the menu bar. I do get a blink in the menu bar when I turn it on and off, so it's possible that some other icon is blocking it.

But,
"Minimum requirements if your Mac and Apple TV are on the same network:
Apple TV (2nd generation or later) with the latest Apple TV software
And any of these Mac computers with OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 or later:
. . .
MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or later)"

So, Apple's instructions are not exactly clear.

Activity Monitor shows "AirPlayUIAgent" as loaded.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 14, 2018 09:14PM
ps: My iTunes also has an AirPlay icon. I don't have any movies in iTunes, so I can't try that.

Videos in Photos can be AirPlayed to our AppleTV.

So it appears the only thing I don't have access to is screen mirroring.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 14, 2018 09:17PM
mrlynn
Hey Winston, how did you get AirPlay to work in your 2010 MBP? Since installing Sierra this morning, I see an AirPlay option in Sound Output Preferences, but not on Display Preferences. Sound does play through the AppleTV, but not video.

Am I missing a setting somewhere else?

/Mr Lynn

It's in the long post from the Apple link, but a bit buried. Make sure
“Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available”
is checked in the System Preferences>Displays window. That might help.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 14, 2018 09:34PM
According to this article, a 2010 MBP can support AirPlay 2
[www.pocket-lint.com]
but it also requires a 4th generation Apple TV, and it's primarily about audio distribution.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 14, 2018 11:24PM
Winston, thanks for the extended discussion of the AirPlay issues. I really appreciate your taking the time.

I have an AppleTV 3. It's on the same wireless network with my MacBook Pro. I have the 'Show Mirroring Options' in Display Preferences, and it's checked. But the AirPlay icon does NOT show up in the Menu Bar.

The Activity Monitor shows AirPlayUIAgent and AirPlayXPCHelper.

Tried restarting. If I select AppleTV (3) in Audio Output Prefs, I get iTunes, YouTube, and DVD audio on the TV—but no video. I DO see an AirPlay icon at the bottom of YouTube videos, but clicking it does nothing.

Looks like Apple means it when they say "Early 2011 or later." My "Mid-2010" MBP is model 7,1. Is yours a later model?

Oh well. I can use my wife's iPad for AirPlay if I need it. But I'm an old Mac guy, and find the iPad interface unintuitive.

BTW, AirPlay IS 'screen mirroring'. Can you play YouTube videos? If you're just showing photos or videos from your photo library, you might just be using iTunes Sharing, which I can do even from my '09 iMac. That's not the same as AirPlay, which will mirror anything on your MBP screen, including any Internet content.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 15, 2018 10:45AM
Looks like we have exactly the same MBP. Mine is a 2.4 GHz MacBookPro7,1.

The screen shot I posted shows I have a "MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2010)", playing a YouTube video to our Apple TV. Both video and sound work.

I have been able to play video with sound via AirPlay to our Apple TV using:
- YouTube in Safari
- QuickTime
- Photos

In each program there is an AirPlay icon which allows me to select our Apple TV. As I mentioned, I haven't been able to test iTunes, as I don't have any videos in iTunes.

The only thing I don't have is the AirPlay icon in the menu bar to allow screen mirroring.

I have the same two AirPlay items you mention shown in Activity Monitor.

Appears the only differences are that my MBP has 16 GB memory, and am on El Capitan, and yours has 8 GB memory and is on Sierra.

I also tried a restart of both my MBP and the Apple TV, in case that would do anything about the menu bar AirPlay icon, but it had no effect.

One other item: When I AirPlay a YouTube video to the Apple TV, the television shows only the YouTube video. The TV does not show my entire MBP screen, even though I don't have the YouTube video in full-screen mode. I think the same is true from QuickTime and Photos.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 10:56AM by Winston.
Date: January 15, 2018 08:06PM
It is odd that Winston's MBP is essentially the same as mine (mid-2010), but behaves differently WRT AirPlay. All of the discussions I've seen confirm that AirPlay is not compatible with the Core2Duo processor in the mid-2010 MBPs. The discussions do point out that those Macs can 'stream' videos, but cannot 'AirPlay Mirror' their desktops, which may be why Winston can see videos but not the whole desktop, and why Mirroring is not an option in his Display Preferences.

That doesn't explain why I can stream audio, but not video, but can click on 'Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available'. Of course when I click on it nothing happens, because the computer doesn't support Mirroring. My guess is the different ways our nearly-identical computers act has to do with the OSes we are running: El Capitan on his, Sierra on mine, but it's over my head.

Oh well. If I really need to watch a movie on the TV from my MacBook Pro, I can always connect my long HDMI cable from the TV to my MiniDisplay-to-HDMI adapter, and thus hard-wired, I can mirror my desktop. Turns out AirPlay is just for the wireless fanatics among us. It is convenient, I will admit: no cable for people (and dogs) to trip over.

Anyway, looks like there was no real need to update from Mavericks to Sierra, but I've gone and done it, so no reason to go back. With the new SSD and the almost-new OS, my 7.5-year-old MBP has a new lease on life! I do wish it were lighter, though, for traveling.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 08:07PM by mrlynn.
Date: January 15, 2018 09:14PM
Doing some hunting around in System Profiler, I found this under Software>Frameworks:

AirPlaySender:
Version: 1.0
Obtained from: Apple
Last Modified: 6/24/17, 9:01 AM
Kind: Intel
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Signed by: Software Signing, Apple Code Signing Certification Authority, Apple Root CA
Location: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AirPlaySender.framework
Private: Yes

AirPlaySupport:
Version: 2.0
Last Modified: 6/24/17, 9:01 AM
Signed by: Software Signing, Apple Code Signing Certification Authority, Apple Root CA
Location: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AirPlaySupport.framework

AirTrafficHost:
Version: 4,015.902
Last Modified: 12/8/17, 1:13 AM
Location: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AirTrafficHost.framework

And under Software>Preference Panes

Displays:
Version: 4.0
Supported By: Apple
Visible: Yes
Identifier: com.apple.preference.displays

Might see if your MBP has something similar, or not.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 15, 2018 09:21PM
This is the first good explanation I've run across, although it doesn't explain why my MBP behaves differently from yours. Draws a distinction between AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring.

[discussions.apple.com]

So why can’t older Macs support AirPlay Mirroring?

It comes down to hardware advantages of mid-2011 Macs, as they received Sandy Bridge i5/i7 chipsets that included separate dedicated hardware encoding for H.264. AppleInsider explains why older Macs can support AirPlay, but not AirPlay Mirroring:

These systems are the oldest machines capable of supporting AirPlay Mirroring because they are the first to deliver dedicated hardware encoding for H.264. Without a CPU capable of crunching this task using specialized hardware, earlier Macs simply can’t transmit video fast enough without a lot of heat and screaming fans.

Older Macs can already send video from iTunes to Apple TV via AirPlay, but they stop local playback while doing this. Mirroring requires the system to produce two video images, one driving the local display and one to be wirelessly delivered to the external screen.

AirPlay doesn’t just relay video from the computer (or iOS device) to Apple TV. It scales down the video to fit on an HDTV resolution, and has to convert the colorspace from the computer’s RGB to the native YUV that televisions use. Both tasks require a lot of processing resources, so without the extra hardware available on newer Macs, mirroring isn’t possible.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 16, 2018 09:34PM
MrLynn:

[github.com]

I’ve used the Fira Sans replacement for both Yosemite and Sierra. The Stupid Transparency Effect is the slight bleed-through of whatever is in the background in certain areas such as the Finder window sidebar. Dumb and pointless. Meanwhile other parts of the UI suffer from a lack of color. And then there’s the grey text on grey background nonsense. Apparently legibility is passé.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 09:35PM by ka jowct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015