Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
People intentionally eating Tide Pods in latest internet challenge
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 12, 2018 11:16PM
[abcnews.go.com]

A new online challenge that involves teens putting Tide laundry-detergent pods in their mouths is raising concerns among experts.

“Teens trying to be funny are now putting themselves in danger by ingesting this dangerous substance,” Ann Marie Buerkle, acting chairman of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, told ABC News.

Already in 2018 there has been a steep spike in the number of cases of teens misusing laundry pods. The American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) said approximately 40 cases have been reported so far, "of which around half were intentionally ingested."

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: People intentionally eating Tide Pods in latest internet challenge
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 12, 2018 11:20PM
Those pods do look delicious.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 12, 2018 11:59PM
And you can blow scrubbing bubbles out either end.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Drew
Date: January 13, 2018 12:10AM
Imagine with maple syrup!
Posted by: billb
Date: January 13, 2018 12:54AM
From the videos I saw they weren't actually ingesting but breaking the things in their mouths and spitting the goo out.
It's still too strong a chemical for the sensitive mucous membranes and linings of the mouth and gums around your teeth.

Every time I see these pods still on store shelves I think of all the little kids who have died from actually eating the things and wonder how they can still be on the shelves.

Course, Yoplait has been killing small animals needlessly for decades and they just DNGAF.

Apparently the pod makers DNGAF either. About human life.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2018 01:00AM
....oh, how the tides have turned....from when we were young.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 13, 2018 03:39AM
That should give you a good clean out.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 13, 2018 03:54AM
Simple solution - change all the colors to puke green.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 13, 2018 05:43AM
pod people
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 13, 2018 06:15AM
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 13, 2018 06:51AM
Bill,

If you say the manufacturer of Tide, Proctor & Gamble, DNGAF, then you'd be mistaken. P&G is definitely are taking steps to deal with the danger.

[causemarketing.com]

'course, parents and guardians are the first line of defense. Parents/guardians must take appropriate steps to prevent little ones from getting their hands on the pods in the first place, i.e. store them properly.

As for the actual subject? The challenge doesn't come as a surprise. Never underestimate the utter stupidity of people. Someone or several someones will absolutely live up to the challenge of doing something dangerous and stupid. I expect to see lawsuits over the challenge, too. In my opinion, it isn't a matter of if. It's when.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 06:55AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 13, 2018 07:03AM
I still don't get the whole pod thing - pay extra for something just to avoid scooping or pouring something. You get a time savings of 5-10 seconds.

I don't recall there ever being a fad of ingesting detergent in the powder or liquid forms.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 13, 2018 08:15AM
Ombligo
I don't recall there ever being a fad of ingesting detergent in the powder or liquid forms.

But...

Swallowing goldfish

Phone booth stuffing

Snorting various powders (cocoa, peppers, Tang drink mix, sugar)

And the whole “Jackass” movie franchise, with YouTubers worldwide trying to imitate it for their “15 minuets of fame.”
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 13, 2018 08:20AM
Robert M
...The challenge doesn't come as a surprise. Never underestimate the utter stupidity of people. Someone or several someones will absolutely live up to the challenge of doing something dangerous and stupid. I expect to see lawsuits over the challenge, too. In my opinion, it isn't a matter of if. It's when.

Robert

Wasn't that sort of the whole premise of Jackass?
Date: January 13, 2018 08:47AM
Wurm,

Sure. Definitely part of the premise. 'course, I never watched the show but read enough about it to know that just thinking about watching it would likely reduce my intelligence a notch or two.

Robert
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 13, 2018 09:11AM
Part of me wants to say that if you are that stupid, don't help or interfere, less problems in the world with out them. I know that's controversial, but as they say, you can't fix stupid,

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: January 13, 2018 09:23AM
Ombligo
I still don't get the whole pod thing - pay extra for something just to avoid scooping or pouring something. You get a time savings of 5-10 seconds.

All about ease and convenience. People want it easy and quick, so they can complain about the cost later.
Same goes with debit and credit cards. Quick easier that dealing with complicated money. But you pay for that convenience.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 13, 2018 11:05AM
Better lay in a supply of a WHOLE lot more Darwin Awards........ boink smiley
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 13, 2018 12:05PM
Maybe I’m dense, but why would anyone intentionally do this? Does it give you a high, taste good, etc.? dunno smiley

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 13, 2018 12:40PM
Ammo
Maybe I’m dense, but why would anyone intentionally do this? Does it give you a high, taste good, etc.? dunno smiley

I guess for some people it's funny to watch on a dare. It's really nothing new, similar to the Cinnamon Challenge where you put a spoonful of cinnamon into your mouth (and fail).

Does sticking your tongue on a frozen lamp post taste good or provide a high?
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 13, 2018 12:52PM
We are a pod user, but that's because the chemical composition of the ones we use handles our super-hard water.

We've tried for years to find something as good to help our dishwasher clean the dishes and NOT then lead to a calcium buildup on our dishwasher (something that destroyed a new dishwasher in 3 months a few years ago).

However, if people are going to be THIS stupid, I guess TIDE can just sell a version where we can just pour it into our dishwasher.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 13, 2018 01:11PM
DinerDave
All about ease and convenience. People want it easy and quick, so they can complain about the cost later.
Same goes with debit and credit cards. Quick easier that dealing with complicated money. But you pay for that convenience.
Dave

You had me all the way up until the debit/credit card thing.

As im sure we are all aware, "Debit" cards are not "credit" cards. Debit card is cash. Assuming you mean that someone might "pay" for using a crdit card because of interest and fees, sure.

But using a debit card over cash? no comprende. I havent used cash in years except for specific situations. If i could get everyplace to take apple pay, and be able to store all of my credit cards and DL in my phone, Id be even happier///

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 13, 2018 02:38PM
....people like 'convenience'....and are willing to pay extra.....instead of scooping or pouring liquid in cap....you just throw a pod in.....

....in reality it only takes a few seconds more to use powder or liquid but people 'perceive' it as saved time.....

....have tried the pods and may get them if they are very, very cheap but still use liquid [ most place no longer sell powder ], otherwise, I would use powder.......

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 13, 2018 04:10PM
NewtonMP2100
...most place no longer sell powder ], otherwise, I would use powder.......

Powdered laundry detergent seems to be quite readily available at our local stores.
Search "powdered laundry detergent" at Amazon.com to see the range of products being sold.
Date: January 13, 2018 05:27PM
....talking about B&M stores....especially smaller one with limited store space......yes, the larger stores like Walmart have it but if space is limited, they carry less of the powder.....some stores don't even carry any......

Date: January 13, 2018 06:10PM
jdc
DinerDave
Dave

You had me all the way up until the debit/credit card thing.

As im sure we are all aware, "Debit" cards are not "credit" cards. Debit card is cash. Assuming you mean that someone might "pay" for using a crdit card because of interest and fees, sure.

But using a debit card over cash? no comprende. I havent used cash in years except for specific situations. If i could get everyplace to take apple pay, and be able to store all of my credit cards and DL in my phone, Id be even happier///

Yes Debit IS your own cash in electronic form, and Credit is borrowing with interest. However,
Debit cards cost the retailer 21 cents every time it is swiped for a retail transaction at the store.
They pay more cuz its easier comment was meant to say that these transactions do increase the cost. All will pay more to cover this, but if those retailer costs could be lowered, everyone would benefit.
Example, the average sales period, 31 days, my store pays a little over $10,000 in combined Credit and Debit Card fees, for the "privilege of accepting the cards". I also have an average $11,000 net profit. With numbers like that, you know the pricing reflects all those costs, so customers are paying extra for the card convenience.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 13, 2018 06:23PM
Robert M
If you say the manufacturer of Tide, Proctor & Gamble, DNGAF, then you'd be mistaken. P&G is definitely are taking steps to deal with the danger.

I agree that they DNGAF. The red part resembles a nice bright juicy ripe fruit, even the texture. They colored them to look attractive, and the swirl resembles many types of candy. I will bet they don't need to be colored at all.

I think people participating in the challenge is a symptom of society, with people like the Kardashians, or those on Jackass getting famous for being stupid on national TV.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 14, 2018 08:28AM
Filliam H. Muffman
I agree that they DNGAF. The red part resembles a nice bright juicy ripe fruit, even the texture. They colored them to look attractive, and the swirl resembles many types of candy. I will bet they don't need to be colored at all.

I think the first lawsuit should be an injunction filed by Pepsico - that swirl too closely resembles their logo.

versus this - just rotate 90 degrees and what do you have?

Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 14, 2018 11:02AM
testcase
Better lay in a supply of a WHOLE lot more Darwin Awards........ boink smiley

My 12 year old told me about eating pods, the first words out of my mouth was "Darwin Award"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: January 14, 2018 11:03AM
....ever generation has something......remember 'huffing'......

Date: January 14, 2018 04:59PM
Diner,

A correction. "Credit is borrowing with interest" isn't actually correct. You pay interest on the credit card purchases only if you carry a balance.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

JEB
Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015