The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blank screen on 2011 Macbook Pro
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 13, 2018 07:23AM
MC721LL/A
OS X.9.5

Starts up, apple icon, then just a blank screen.

What is problem? I cannot get Disk Warrior to load, R-Command doesn't load, nothing I do gets anything to kick into the screen past apple icon then blank screen.

Just give up and take out RAM or ???? would it be video card?

I have tried the 5 different ways to restore. Including Command Opt P-R. It restarts the second time but then reverts to a blank grey screen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 07:42AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blank screen on 2011 Macbook Pro
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 13, 2018 08:10AM
Boot it in Target mode by holding the "t" key at the start up sound. That should produce a floating Firewire icon, which tells you the video card is working.

While in Target mode, connect it to another Mac via Firewire or Thunderbolt cable, and make repairs from the second Mac (Disk Warrior, Disk Repair, etc). Then eject it from the second Mac and hold the power button to shut it down and reboot normally.

If it has a Restore function installed, hold the Option key at Startup sound and select the Restore partition.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 13, 2018 08:11AM
Have you tried the bright/dim button? I've seen that happen. RollingEyesSmiley5

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 13, 2018 09:52AM
You tried zapping PRAM. Did you reset SMC?
[support.apple.com]

If that doesn't bring it back... There are so many things that could be responsible for that symptom --- OS problems, failing drive, failing battery, failing video/logic-board, failing backlight -- that isolating it through back-and-forth posts in this forum would be very difficult.

Find a Mac consultant in your area that has a storefront and bring it there for service.
[consultants.apple.com]

Date: January 13, 2018 10:45AM
modelamac
Boot it in Target mode by holding the "t" key at the start up sound. That should produce a floating Firewire icon, which tells you the video card is working.

While in Target mode, connect it to another Mac via Firewire or Thunderbolt cable, and make repairs from the second Mac (Disk Warrior, Disk Repair, etc). Then eject it from the second Mac and hold the power button to shut it down and reboot normally.

If it has a Restore function installed, hold the Option key at Startup sound and select the Restore partition.

ah, Some lite! I am connected and there appears to be no system file on the computer I can find...but I'm running diagnostics and when that is thru will install an OS if there is not one on the disc. Thanks a bunch to you and all who helped with suggestions that might help others!
Date: January 13, 2018 11:07AM
modelamac

SUCESS! no OS on computer. Got zapped somehow.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 13, 2018 12:48PM
Sounds like a fun tech support project...
Date: January 13, 2018 01:39PM
Wow samin, wonder how that happened? At least hardware is okay.

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 13, 2018 03:04PM
GuyGene
Wow samin, wonder how that happened? At least hardware is okay.

That's some poltergeist stuff.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 13, 2018 06:22PM
Weird.

There had to have been at least the core operating system present on that computer or else the Apple logo wouldn't have shown up.

Date: January 13, 2018 10:31PM
Now vision, there y'all whippersnappers go again, losing me with fast movie or some kind of talk. old fogey smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 10:32PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: RoadToad
Date: January 15, 2018 03:50PM
My 2011 MacBook Pro had the white screen of death (the ubiquitous dedicated AMD GPU failure). I took it to the Genius Bar and they declared it vintage (too old for us to repair). I found a company that repairs vintage Mac hardware in Chattanooga Tennessee at a very reasonable cost: /doubleclickittofixit.com/

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015