advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon New HQ: 20 finalist candidate cities announced
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 18, 2018 08:34AM
Except for Raleigh and Austin, it's pretty much a "Quickly list 20 large urban areas" trivia answer. The two counties/regions are suburbs of DC.

[www.nytimes.com]

Atlanta
Austin, Tex.
Boston
Chicago
Columbus, Ohio
Dallas
Denver
Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Miami
Montgomery County, Md.
Nashville
Newark
New York
Northern Virginia
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Raleigh, N.C.
Toronto, Canada
Washington, D.C.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 08:50AM by Acer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon New HQ: 20 finalist candidate cities announced
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 18, 2018 08:38AM
Not sure if this will end up being a good thing, but MoCo represent!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 18, 2018 09:06AM
Completely off-the-cuff prediction: Amazon will build in Atlanta, and Apple's just-proposed HQ2 will be in Austin, where the company already has a big footprint and a long history.

(Although now that I think about it, putting Apple HQ2 in Atlanta would make a ton of sense for Tim Cook, as he could easily commute to Auburn football and Duke basketball games from here. Might be kinda tough to sell the Board on that criteria though.)
Posted by: jardster
Date: January 18, 2018 09:07AM
mikebw

There's a lot of space that is opening up in Silver Spring as Discovery moves to NYC!

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 18, 2018 09:17AM
jardster
mikebw

There's a lot of space that is opening up in Silver Spring as Discovery moves to NYC!

Yes, but if you think Bezos is going to move his Second Flagship Headquarters into someone else's abandoned building, you don't know much about Amazon!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: jardster
Date: January 18, 2018 09:40AM
rjmacs
jardster
mikebw

Yes, but if you think Bezos is going to move his Second Flagship Headquarters into someone else's abandoned building, you don't know much about Amazon!

I figure it's a knock down.... at least there is some infrastructure there... and it's close to his Washington Post.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 18, 2018 09:52AM
If it were me narrowing the list, I'd quickly remove Chicago and metro NYC for tax and cost reasons. Maybe D.C. area for the same reason, plus traffic problems. Miami for hurricanes and crime. L.A. might make sense in certain circumstances, but taxes are high in California.

Guessing they created a list with a wide geographic spread for political reasons.

Austin itself is about 1M people, and metro Austin is 2M, so qualifies as a "large urban area" (at least as much as Denver or Indianapolis). Columbus, Ohio, is about the same. Raleigh metro is about a million, but gets bigger if you look at Research Triangle, and include Durham and Chapel Hill.

Amazon said they wanted strong universities nearby.

Atlanta has Georgia Tech, Boston has MIT, L.A. has a bunch of universities, including Cal Tech. Carnegie-Mellon in Pittsburgh, a bunch in Philadelphia. Vanderbilt is strong in Nashville, but not known as an engineering school. Raleigh gets you Duke and UNC Chapel Hill. What are the engineering schools near Columbus? Not sure about universities in Toronto, but I'd guess some strong ones as Canada's largest city. Of the cities I'd knock out, Miami seems the only one with less of a nationally known engineering university, and maybe the D.C. area. NYC area is full of universities.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 18, 2018 09:55AM
jardster
I figure it's a knock down.... at least there is some infrastructure there... and it's close to his Washington Post.

Forgot about that. Three separate entries for metro D.C. Two for metro NYC. That might say something.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 18, 2018 09:58AM
jardster
rjmacs
jardster
mikebw

That location is great (walking distance to the metro / transit center) though teardown and rebuilding on that space would be a nightmare.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 18, 2018 10:09AM
Columbus is a good central location for North Central US. Some great universities with good technical chops. It's also a central logistics hub for a lot of organizations, so the logistics skill-sets are high.

Remember... while most folk think of Amazon as an internet business, it's really a logistics business. In fact, it's the big dog of logistics businesses.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 18, 2018 10:35AM
Will Collier
Completely off-the-cuff prediction: Amazon will build in Atlanta, and Apple's just-proposed HQ2 will be in Austin, where the company already has a big footprint and a long history.

(Although now that I think about it, putting Apple HQ2 in Atlanta would make a ton of sense for Tim Cook, as he could easily commute to Auburn football and Duke basketball games from here. Might be kinda tough to sell the Board on that criteria though.)

In this article Tim Cook reportedly said that the new campus won't be in CA or TX because Apple already has campuses in these states.

The final bit of the interview touched on where Apple might open its new campus, which was announced by the company earlier today. Cook said details will be shared later in the year, but it won't be located in Texas or California, where Apple already has campuses in Austin and Cupertino, respectively.

[www.macrumors.com]

In Apple's press release they say that the initial function of the new campus will be tech support.

The company plans to establish an Apple campus in a new location, which will initially house technical support for customers. The location of this new facility will be announced later in the year.

[www.apple.com]
Date: January 18, 2018 10:36AM
cbelt3
Remember... while most folk think of Amazon as an internet business, it's really a logistics business. In fact, it's the big dog of logistics businesses.

Right. I think that's why Atlanta probably has the upper hand. From its very origins ("Terminus," and no, not the one with the cannibals) the city has been a transportation hub. Co-locating with the UPS HQ makes a lot of sense, for instance.
Date: January 18, 2018 10:37AM
GGD
Will Collier

In this article Tim Cook reportedly said that the new campus won't be in CA or TX because Apple already has campuses in these states.

The final bit of the interview touched on where Apple might open its new campus, which was announced by the company earlier today. Cook said details will be shared later in the year, but it won't be located in Texas or California, where Apple already has campuses in Austin and Cupertino, respectively.

[www.macrumors.com]

In Apple's press release they say that the initial function of the new campus will be tech support.

The company plans to establish an Apple campus in a new location, which will initially house technical support for customers. The location of this new facility will be announced later in the year.

[www.apple.com]

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that detail about CA and TX.

The original Apple Support Center in Austin was for (duh) tech support, I worked there for a while in '93.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 18, 2018 11:11AM
Winston
jardster

Forgot about that. Three separate entries for metro D.C. Two for metro NYC. That might say something.

- W

Couldn't Montgomery County, Md., Washington, D.C., and "Northern"* Virginia be classified as essentially the same location?

*Depending on how easterly it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 11:12AM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 18, 2018 11:19AM
Atlanta. Opposite as you can get geographically from Seattle, Atlanta has world's airline hub for getting non stop to about everywhere, GA taxes are decent, both for workers and corporations. Great infrastructure, good living area, just a good place. Plus, I'm a native Georgian. Not that it'd help me a bit, I'm not looking for a job, nor any benefits from anyone else's job. Except for health, a good place to be for me...old fogey smiley Not needing a job, I mean.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 18, 2018 11:45AM
Not trying to make this political, but I suspect that Tim Cook will, and how a state treats LGBTQ individuals and other equal rights issues will likely be a factor in Apple's selection process.

Anyway, this has strayed pretty far from Amazon. And there is a difference between the two, Amazon is looking for a second corporate HQ, while Apple is looking for a Tech Support site presumably with room to grow.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 18, 2018 12:32PM
My guess would be Atlanta or Nashville (they aren't that far apart). Nashville may even have the upper hand because Amazon would be the BIG dog in the city. In Atlanta, it would be one of several with Coca-Cola and Delta.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 18, 2018 12:51PM
I'm glad Amazon didn't include my state as a finalist. I hate seeing my tax dollars go to support a non-state tax paying venture.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 18, 2018 02:08PM
I'm going to bet Chicago.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 18, 2018 02:31PM
Pittsburgh.

Book it.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 18, 2018 04:00PM
Bozeman, Montana... a real wild-card.
==
Date: January 18, 2018 04:57PM
vision63

I've wondered about some of the business which have relocated to Chicago. The city has a lot going for it, but I keep reading about the fiscal problems at both the city and state levels. Could make the Detroit bankruptcy look like a cakewalk. If my understanding of these problems is right, it could be considered corporate malfeasance to move a business to Illinois.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, has some arguments going for it. I've never been there, but the city has been going through a kind of renaissance.

Wonder if these companies will look at how weather affects things. Atlanta has been mostly shut down for a couple of days by snow, but that's not a common experience. Do those in Seattle and the SF Bay area want to locate in a place that gets really cold? That's not a ski resort or close to them (Denver)?

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 04:58PM by Winston.
Date: January 18, 2018 05:24PM
Nashville. Centrally located, underutilized airport.

Posted by: jh
Date: January 18, 2018 05:55PM
Speedy
Nashville. Centrally located, underutilized airport.

More that 1/2 of the nation's population is within 650 miles of Nashville. So are some other cities on that list. Population is expected to gain 1 million more people in the next decade or a little longer in the area. 3 major interstates connect in Nashville. No state income taxes, several distribution companies moving/expanding here recently. Airport under major expansion which will continue in the coming years. Cost of living lower compared to some other cities.

But after it is all said and done its how much money a city can offer Amazon to come to there place. ROTFL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 05:57PM by jh.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 18, 2018 06:20PM
My first bet is Nashville, second bet will be Raleigh.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: January 18, 2018 07:46PM
jh
More that 1/2 of the nation's population is within 650 miles of Nashville.

Source?
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 18, 2018 08:10PM
Winston
vision63

I've wondered about some of the business which have relocated to Chicago. The city has a lot going for it, but I keep reading about the fiscal problems at both the city and state levels. Could make the Detroit bankruptcy look like a cakewalk. If my understanding of these problems is right, it could be considered corporate malfeasance to move a business to Illinois.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, has some arguments going for it. I've never been there, but the city has been going through a kind of renaissance.

Wonder if these companies will look at how weather affects things. Atlanta has been mostly shut down for a couple of days by snow, but that's not a common experience. Do those in Seattle and the SF Bay area want to locate in a place that gets really cold? That's not a ski resort or close to them (Denver)?

- W

I lived in Atlanta so I can see that. But when I think about young tech professionals Chicago is pretty hot right now. It's a great big city with big city amenities and is much cheaper than California (but not Atlanta) Lots of great Universities there as does Atlanta.
Date: January 18, 2018 08:13PM
DeusxMac
jh

Source?

Possibly not.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 18, 2018 09:37PM
vision63

I lived in Atlanta so I can see that. But when I think about young tech professionals Chicago is pretty hot right now. It's a great big city with big city amenities and is much cheaper than California (but not Atlanta) Lots of great Universities there as does Atlanta.

Yeah, Chicago is a good guess on this one, Illinois' soon to be junk bond rating notwithstanding. Austin, Atlanta, Chicago, Toronto and Denver are the top five guesses of Seattle Times readers today. Not that they know anything... ")

The Chicago Tribune has a good rundown of what's publicly known about all the finalists' bids. Newark - $7 billion in incentives - wowza.

[www.chicagotribune.com]

I'd love to see a place like Columbus get this, but that seems unlikely.

I think Northern Virginia is a strong bet. Arlington and Alexandria are strong draws for millennials and tech sector workers overall. Great transportation, schools, cultural life, all that stuff. Central location for the east coast, less horrible weather than Boston or Newark (or Atlanta or Austin if we're talking summer.) Would give Amazon a west coast tech hub and a political power hub. Seems like the perfect foil to Seattle. District of Columbia would be an interesting choice too, keeping with Amazon's urban ethos.

Having this be a public process has been interesting, since the RFP process is usually so secretive. Whatever Amazon's motives or ultimate decision, transparency is good. And all these contenders have a cool banner for their economic development brochures..."Amazon Top 20 Finalist!"
Date: January 18, 2018 10:04PM
DeusxMac
jh

Source?

2017 Nashville Regional Economic Development Guide Page 6

NASHVILLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT GUIDE - LOCATION
U.S. Population around Nashville
More than half of the nation’s population resides within 650 miles of Nashville

That said I doubt the city is in the running for long. No effective mass transit in place yet among other state political considerations/realities I won't go into detail on this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 10:09PM by jh.
Date: January 19, 2018 08:25AM
jh

According to the Nashville Chamber of Commerce...

And their “650 miles” is as the crow flies, not as the truck drives or the train car rolls.

Plus, many of those other cities of the 20 could claim an even greater percentage of the population within that distance.
Date: January 19, 2018 09:04AM
DeusxMac
jh

According to the Nashville Chamber of Commerce...

And their “650 miles” is as the crow flies, not as the truck drives or the train car rolls.

Which, I suspect is typical of almost every cities Chamber of Commerce pitch in trying to woo industry/businesses--painting a bright picture.

Plus, many of those other cities of the 20 could claim an even greater percentage of the population within that distance.

Absolutely. Read on the web somewhere the governor of Ohio is making a similar claim. Since more people live in the eastern half of the US then that would make since.

I really don't have a care one way or the other about Amazon coming to Nashville. They already have three distribution warehouse in the area anyway as many other cities/states do. The city is a dark horse candidate along with being one of the smallest size cities in the group and I would be surprised if they did get it.

I am in no way an expert on businesses locating in areas but based on my general reading of why some businesses locate in certain areas: access to roads, rail, air , access to their markets (how many customers they can reach) and how much tax money local/state governments throw down in front of the businesses to attract them play a role in attracting businesses to a certain location. Nashville's location may make sense to some businesses based on what I just mentioned. To other's it may be a non starter.

Amazon is playing the game other industries often do. "We want to locate/expand a business/industry/distribution center and are considering your area. How much tax money are you willing to pay us to come to your area?"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 09:25AM by jh.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 19, 2018 01:41PM
rjmacs
jardster
mikebw

If you had ever visited Amazon HQ in Seattle, you would know your statement is nonsense. They are the biggest renters in Seattle.
Date: January 19, 2018 11:27PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

"Amazon’s search for a second headquarters is like a reality show, only way geekier and with way higher stakes. And true to that format, dreams are already getting crushed. We feel for you Minneapolis.

The online retailer was quite clear when it solicited proposals, laying out criteria that applied at most to about two dozen American metropolitan areas. Nonetheless, more than 200 optimistic localities applied. Thursday, Amazon picked 20."

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 20, 2018 03:49AM
[www.startribune.com]

Looks as though Minneapolis/St Paul is keeping their Amazon bid secret. Amazon's search team has been upfront about the reasons that each area did not become a finalist, so the city is keeping that under wraps too, at least for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018