advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It's really hard to find any indication that Applecare still exists on Apple.com
Posted by: hal
Date: January 22, 2018 02:33PM
I'm just shopping around for applecare (for my 27" imac) prices. I just want to know what the MSRP is. I go to Apple.com and search 'applecare' and I am taken to this webpage: https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Sure looks like a web page that will tell me all about applecare, but NO! It doesn't. It tells me ALL ABOUT Applecare+ (you see that '+' at the end?) This isn't applecare. It's this:

AppleCare+ for Mac provides global repair coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians around the world. Coverage includes the following:

•Your Mac computer
•Battery1
•Included accessories such as the power adapter
•Apple memory (RAM)
•AirPort4
•Apple USB SuperDrive
•Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax1

Since I'm not likely to drop my iMac any time soon, or worry about replacing its battery or RAM or Superdrive or any of the accessories... AND I'm LONG past the 60 day limit for applying Applecare+... I just want the normal Applecare. But there is no webpage talking about the wonders of applecare - just a form for buying it. And I STILL don't know what the MSRP is because they don't tell you that at the beginning of the form - I suppose I would learn after I enter all the data they want.

Argh...

Continued search tells me that the prices are $149 and $199 but that was an old link - not sure if they are still current.

/end today's rant
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It's really hard to find any indication that Applecare still exists on Apple.com
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 22, 2018 02:53PM
Couldn't find the MSRP either but I did find an eBay listing @ $130 with free shipping and no tax.

eBay iMac Applecare

Northern California Coast
Re: It's really hard to find any indication that Applecare still exists on Apple.com
Posted by: TLB
Date: January 22, 2018 03:12PM
You could try this: [checkcoverage.apple.com]

If your system is eligible, it should provide a link for purchase. My systems are all vintage so I don't have a new enough machine to try it. But, it is what I always used in the past--and also to check for any remaining warranty on used machines for sale.
Posted by: jardster
Date: January 22, 2018 03:12PM
[www.apple.com]

Then you scroll down and it has all of the products with a "buy now" button

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 22, 2018 03:26PM
....when Apple cares.......enough.....to send the very best......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 22, 2018 03:38PM
"Since I'm not likely to drop my iMac any time soon,"

You REALLY should NOT have said anything like that. Now, you'll probably need AppleCare+.... banghead smiley
Date: January 22, 2018 04:19PM
jardster
[www.apple.com]

Then you scroll down and it has all of the products with a "buy now" button

NOPE that takes you to buy Applecare PLUS, not applecare - or maybe the old Applecare is almost done being phased out

TLB
You could try this: [checkcoverage.apple.com]

If your system is eligible, it should provide a link for purchase. My systems are all vintage so I don't have a new enough machine to try it. But, it is what I always used in the past--and also to check for any remaining warranty on used machines for sale.

I hit that page almost everyday - it's not what I was looking for. I wanted the nice bright shiny retail page describing Applecare (and it's cost)
Date: January 22, 2018 04:20PM
testcase
"Since I'm not likely to drop my iMac any time soon,"

You REALLY should NOT have said anything like that. Now, you'll probably need AppleCare+.... banghead smiley

hahahaha! yeah... what was I thinking!!??
Posted by: billb
Date: January 22, 2018 04:58PM
I don't think Applecare is a product you can buy any more

Applecare is the one year warrantee that comes with any new product

Applecare+ is the extended warrantee you can buy

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 22, 2018 06:08PM
yes, even if you try to buy a 27" iMac, they let you add AppleCare+ to cart, which is $169 BTW, but there is no trace of AppleCare (no Plus).
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 22, 2018 08:03PM
AppleCare extended warranties were replaced by AppleCare+ several months ago.

It's actually way better than regular AppleCare in at least one respect. It's now got an insurance component. Gives you two-incidents where you can totally trash your Mac and still get it repaired for $99 or $299.

Only problem with it is that you no longer have a year to purchase the warranty. You've only got 60 days after the initial purchase.

AppleCare is still mentioned on Apple's site because the base 1 year warranty is also called "AppleCare" (which has always caused a bit of confusion) and because there are still Macs covered under extended warranties purchased before the transition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 08:06PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 22, 2018 09:18PM
Onamuji
Only problem with it is that you no longer have a year to purchase the warranty. You've only got 60 days after the initial purchase.

I wonder if the $130 AppleCare that I linked to on eBay would be accepted. The seller says: "item must still be under one year standard warranty in order for registration to go through."

Northern California Coast
Date: January 22, 2018 10:23PM
My serial number says eligible for APP, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 22, 2018 11:02PM
I have three unopened AppleCare boxes for MacBook Pros. I hope Apple will still honor them. I also have one box for a PowerBook.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 23, 2018 12:56AM
[www.apple.com]

Took me less than ten seconds to find, starting from the home page.

It is what it is.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 23, 2018 09:18AM
N-OS X-tasy!
[www.apple.com]

You follow that link and it eventually brings you to AppleCare+. Not AppleCare.

You can also use the Apple Menu and select About this Mac. Click on the far right "Service Button" and it will take you to an AppleCare promotion page.

dunno smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2018 09:21AM by WHiiP.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 24, 2018 11:14PM
WHiiP
N-OS X-tasy!
[www.apple.com]

You follow that link and it eventually brings you to AppleCare+. Not AppleCare.

You can also use the Apple Menu and select About this Mac. Click on the far right "Service Button" and it will take you to an AppleCare promotion page.

dunno smiley

As already posted, AppleCare as an extended warranty has been replaced by AppleCare+. You can't buy the old version anymore. As also explained above, Apple also uses the term for the one year warranty and 90 days phone support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018