advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So what do I need to do to put a Prepaid SIM (international) in my Verizon iPhone 5s?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 22, 2018 05:37PM
I've got a trip booked for a couple weeks from now to England (London, specifically).

Getting my act together and my first order of business is insuring that my primary source of maps and navigation is gonna work!

In 2011, I dropped a SIM into my iPad 2, but it wasn't tied to a carrier.

I have a Verizon bought and used for the last 4 years iPhone 5s that I'd LIKE to do the same to (drop a $30 SIM into it for some internet goodness).

My initial googling returns a bewildering array of different situations...

My main question is;
Can I do this without wading into battle with Verizon? Or is my phone going to need to be unshackled from it's Verizon Masters before it can accept a SIM card?

(buying the SIM card itself is REALLY easy... that part I have ready to go!).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So what do I need to do to put a Prepaid SIM (international) in my Verizon iPhone 5s?
Posted by: billb
Date: January 22, 2018 05:48PM
Paul F.

So, it didn't work ?

If the phone is unlocked and is a GSM capable phone it should work with any carrier's or MVNO's sim. Maybe not China.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Re: So what do I need to do to put a Prepaid SIM (international) in my Verizon iPhone 5s?
Date: January 22, 2018 06:09PM
Yes, sorry if I was unclear... the "3" network prepaid worked very well in the iPad 2 - but it was not "locked" to a U.S. carrier is what I meant.

billb
Paul F.

So, it didn't work ?

If the phone is unlocked and is a GSM capable phone it should work with any carrier's or MVNO's sim. Maybe not China.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: January 22, 2018 06:11PM
Verizon phones should already be unlocked. My Verizon iPhone 6 is. I always stop at Heathrow at the local SIM dealer and have them drop a SIM in for me, and I'm good to go. Just did this in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: January 22, 2018 06:30PM
Borrow or get a cheap SIM online and try out before leaving.

[smile.amazon.com]
Date: January 22, 2018 06:30PM
Yes, Verizon delivered phones unlocked starting with 5C, maybe 5, so it should be unlocked. You might have to go into settings and manually choose the data settings when you change the sim , which is why I recommend (at least the first time) getting a sim at a manned seller so if the sim doesn't ' just work' someone familiar with the carrier settings APN can set them. Just make sure the top left on the screen comes up with 3G or LTE or whatever you bought for data before you leave the store or go too far.
Unless you buy one of those (used to be pricey) international sims and you could try it here before you get on the plane.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: January 22, 2018 06:35PM
nwyaker

[smile.amazon.com]

It will come up network not found unless you pay for international data roaming which is usually kinda pricey.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: January 22, 2018 06:40PM
billb
nwyaker

[smile.amazon.com]

It will come up network not found unless you pay for international data roaming which is usually kinda pricey.

Just for testing in US for unlock, not on the trip.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 22, 2018 07:20PM
This post says the iPhone 5 and 5s sold by Verizon both came SIM unlocked.
[www.idownloadblog.com]

and

This says it's due to rules the FCC set out for a block of spectrum Verizon got at auction:
[www.macrumors.com]
"The main reason for the unlocked SIM card slot appears to be FCC network access requirements for Block C, the 700 MHz spectrum that Verizon uses for its LTE network. According to the FCC's CFR Title 47 Part 27.16 paragraph (e):
(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks."

Verizon paid at least one fine related to Block C rules:
[apps.fcc.gov]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 22, 2018 07:50PM
Note that there was an issue with iPhone 6 and 6s models which Apple replaced under warranty with "service replacement" models, which have a Model number starting with "N".

Apparently Apple replaced some unlocked phones with ones which were partly SIM locked to a carrier. But the lock only applied internationally, so people didn't find out unless they tried to use their iPhone abroad with a non-U.S. SIM card.

[community.verizonwireless.com]

This problem is still going on and relatively unknown until people experience it. It appears to be an issue with iPhone 6/6s models that were offered as "Service Replacement" phones by Apple and assigned an "incorrect policy" from Apple's servers. (See below.) The error occurs when the Apple Server tries to validate the iPhone's IMEI number, there is a lack of synchronization between the databases of Verizon Wireless and Apple servers.

The phones will work with U.S. domestic carriers but not with international SIMs when the user receives a "SIM Not Valid" alert.

If the Apple customer support person you talk to is uninformed of this issue, what needs to be done is to escalate the case to a Level 2 Support Technician or a Senior Level Advisor who will agree to forward a request to the Apple's engineers who can fix it from their side. This is the only way to fix it by getting the "policy" corrected.

When properly identified, what Apple will tell you is that you have "a replacement device with an incorrect activation policy" (which takes 30 minutes to 24 hours for engineers to correct). Sometimes the iPhone needs to be restored after Apple makes the change to the policy for the phone, before it will work with an international sim.

(more follows with details of Apple blaming the problem on carriers, and vice versa.)

Note: You can find an iPhone's Model in Settings>General>About
This is more accurately called the "Apple Order Number". New iPhones have a model number starting with "M". "Service Replacement" (and I think refurb) iPhones have a Model number starting with "N".

And of course Apple confuses all of this by calling the number in Settings>General>About the "Model", but on it's "Identify your iPhone model" page, it uses "A", followed by a 4 digit code, for "Model number".
[support.apple.com]
For example, for the iPhone 5s:
"Model number on the back cover: A1453, A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530, A1533"

The numbers starting with "M" or "N" are more accurate, as they define:
- the type of iPhone ("iPhone 5s (CDMA/Verizon/A1533)" or "iPhone 5s (GSM/North America/A1533)"
- storage (16 GB, 32 GB, etc.)
- the color (silver, space gray, etc.)
- what carrier it was sold for (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon)
for example: iPhone 5s: ME305LL/A is the order number for the GSM 16 GB configuration, in gray, on AT&T.

Everymac.com has a lookup which can search for a given iPhone by the Apple Order Number (the "Model" shown in System>General>About).
[everymac.com]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 07:50PM by Winston.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 22, 2018 11:22PM
Does Verizon offer an unlock service line AT&T?
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: January 23, 2018 01:44AM
Every Verizon iPhone since the iPhone 5 with LTE has been SIM unlocked. I've used every one - 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 7, and X with international prepaid SIMs and never had a problem.

Sometimes you have to powercycle the phone to recognize the new SIM but that is it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 23, 2018 10:54AM
.....guts.....??

.....no guts.....no glory........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 23, 2018 11:07AM
Thanks, all!

SIM ordered! Just needed reassurance that I was reading everything right and it appears I was.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 23, 2018 01:04PM
sekker
Does Verizon offer an unlock service line AT&T?

Only the carrier the phone is locked to can unlock an iPhone.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015