advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wireless router needed that will work with Spectrum
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 24, 2018 10:04AM
I have just signed up with Spectrum - ATT Uverse is killing me. It goes out at least once a week and at times slows to a crawl. There are tradeoffs, but I think it will be a good switch when I can get things working.

I opted for the modem from Spectrum, but was going to use my own wireless routers to create a WiFi network in my home. I have three different airport routers (two expresses and one extreme). All three of them do not play nicely with Spectrum. They are able to throughput a hardwire signal and anything hooked up by ethernet gets a wonderful signal. However, the wireless part of the express/extreme does not get a signal. I keep getting the orange blinking light saying that there is no internet signal/IP address/DNS server. Therefore I cannot set up a wireless network. All have been upgraded to the new firmware. I could do that because they all were able to see the "hardwired" internet signal, but none could create a wireless network.

I have been on the phone with Spectrum, and even had a tech guy out last night to look at things. He called HIS bosses and no one could figure out why the expresses/extreme were not getting IPS information to create a WiFi network. The only thought was that the Apple routers were not compatible.

What? Huh? Does it really matter who made the routers? A signal is a signal, right?

So anyway, I guess I'm going to try a different wireless router. What do we like these days? Buffalo still a good bet? Netgear?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wireless router needed that will work with Spectrum
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 24, 2018 10:16AM
I get my Earthlink service via Spectrum. I bought my own cable modem before the unholy mating of Time Warner with Spectrum, and TWC did have to help with activating the modem. Everything has been rock solid since then, using an Asus gigabit AC router. I don’t recall any particular problems setting up any of our iOS devices or Macs on wireless, although I vaguely recall having to enter DNS addresses in the Network control panel in order to get access to the WAN.

It seems odd that the Airport devices are having a problem.
Date: January 24, 2018 10:19AM
Yes. It is odd. And frustrating
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 24, 2018 10:19AM
What do you see in your network settings?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 24, 2018 10:30AM
No real help -- but funny how the same service varies throughout the country.

We have had ATT Uverse forever -- and its *never* gone out. Or at least if it has, I cant remember it. Its always 100% on and at 100% of full speed. Ive never touched the modem/router thing, it just sits behind a clock and does its thing.

And Its $30 for 55/15.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 24, 2018 10:33AM
Spiff,

Sounds to me this issue has nothing to do with Spectrum and its hardware. If it was me, I'd reset all of the hardware to factory specs. Add the Airport Extreme and get it working. Then, one at a time, add each express (which you're likely using as extenders).

This is working under the assumption the modem you have for spectrum is a modem only and not a modem/wireless router combo unit. If it's a modem/wireless router combo unit, then you need to put the Airport Extreme into bridge mode.

Robert
Posted by: rz
Date: January 24, 2018 10:37AM
I have Spectrum. I don't use their modem, I've used a Motorola SB6121 for the last 5 years. It's already paid for itself many times over if you take into account the monthly fee for the modem they charge. From there, it goes to my Extreme router. No problems whatsoever.
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: January 24, 2018 10:39AM
I'm on Charter/Specturm and my older Airport Extreme worked with their supplied modem. That said, the AE struggled with all my connected device, would drop devices and refuse to connect.

I ended up purchasing a Netgear modem/router combo and it has significant throughput. I got mine at costco: [www.costco.com]

~A
Date: January 24, 2018 10:49AM
tahoedrew
I'm on Charter/Specturm and my older Airport Extreme worked with their supplied modem. That said, the AE struggled with all my connected device, would drop devices and refuse to connect.

I ended up purchasing a Netgear modem/router combo and it has significant throughput. I got mine at costco: [www.costco.com]

~A

Interesting. Sounds like you had a similar issue, but with the hardwired side, not the wireless side. I guess I should look into the NetGear cable modem/router.
Date: January 24, 2018 10:50AM
Spiff,

If you're using an Extreme and that many Expresses to get house-wide coverage, it sounds like you're a solid candidate for a mesh system like an Eero or a mesh-like system like the Orbi.

[thewirecutter.com]

Definitely, keep an eye out for deals. I bought an Orbi in December and it's coverage blew the doors off an Airport Extreme network with an Express extending it as well as the FIOS router's own wireless network with a FIOS wireless Extender. Similar speeds (we have 50/50) but no comparison in wireless coverage. The Orbi outclasses the by far.

I'd still try what I suggested in my other post before dropping the bucks on new wireless hardware.

Robert
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: January 24, 2018 10:53AM
Spiff
tahoedrew

~A

Interesting. Sounds like you had a similar issue, but with the hardwired side, not the wireless side. I guess I should look into the NetGear cable modem/router.

Spiff - it was the wireless of my AE that struggled, nothing in my system was hard-wired. My AE has got to be 10+ years old, so I wasn't entirely surprised.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: January 24, 2018 10:57AM
I use an Airport Extreme and Express with a Spectrum issued modem and they work well. One time after Spectrum fixed an ongoing connectivity issue on their end the Extreme wouldn’t connect but a hard reset of the router solved that. Prior to the Airports I had a really old Buffalo router and that worked fine in the setup.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: January 24, 2018 11:37AM
Airport Extreme and Spectrum work fine together for me.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 24, 2018 11:43AM
tlh828
Airport Extreme and Spectrum work fine together for me.

ditto

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 24, 2018 11:54AM
Robert M
Sounds to me this issue has nothing to do with Spectrum and its hardware. If it was me, I'd reset all of the hardware to factory specs. Add the Airport Extreme and get it working. Then, one at a time, add each express (which you're likely using as extenders).

Agreed!

This is working under the assumption the modem you have for spectrum is a modem only and not a modem/wireless router combo unit. If it's a modem/wireless router combo unit, then you need to put the Airport Extreme into bridge mode.

Nope, the other way around—put the Spectrum unit into bridge (or plain modem) mode and use the AEBS as the router and base station.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: January 24, 2018 11:55AM
The Extreme should be connected to the Spectrum modem via an Ethernet cable. The two Express units should be turned off. If the Spectrum modem is actually a modem-router, the router function should be turned off. Now, do you get a green light on the Extreme and are your computers able to get a WiFi signal?
Date: January 24, 2018 12:31PM
Article,

That depends. In some cases, you need to use the ISP's modem/router for routing and put the other hardware in bridge mode. Definitely, the case if you have FIOS. Not sure if it's the same for Spectrum.

Robert
Date: January 24, 2018 12:47PM
I have already factory reset the extreme and tried to get it working. No dice, Robert. The tech guy last night helped me with that. I have tried adding only one thing at a time with the modem from Spectrum. Yes, it is only just a modem. Even after replacing the modem, I still had the wireless issue. I guess I will look into the orbi or Eero.
Date: January 24, 2018 01:02PM
Spiff,

Each airport express can do the job of the Airport Extreme. Have you tried using one of them as the "main" unit for the wifi? Also, try replacing the cable between the modem and the Airport hardware. I had a cable go bad and cause no end of wonkiness between a modem and an Airport Extreme. Replaced the cable. Problem solved.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 01:03PM by Robert M.
Date: January 24, 2018 01:53PM
Robert - Yup. We replaced the cable last night (score one for the tech guy. He was nice, but not all that knowledgable. It seemed as if I knew more than him). Originally I had the express doing the heavy lifting as the main router. When that did not work, I tried the extreme. Both had the same problem of not being able to pick up the ISP signal and turn it into wifi. I suppose I could reset the express, which i did not try, and see if that one works...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 01:53PM by Spiff.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 24, 2018 02:29PM
rz
I have Spectrum. I don't use their modem, I've used a Motorola SB6121 for the last 5 years. It's already paid for itself many times over if you take into account the monthly fee for the modem they charge. From there, it goes to my Extreme router. No problems whatsoever.

I have a very similar setup: Time Capsule instead of AE, also with Spectrum, also with zero problems. The TC has been rock solid for the seven years it has been in service so far (four years with TWC/Spectrum, three years with Cox).

It is what it is.
Date: January 24, 2018 05:46PM
Spiff,

Something else to try. See if someone will let you test the Airport Extreme and/or Express with their modem/router. If they work, then it isn't the Airport hardware. If they still don't work, then it's time to replace it/them.

Robert
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: January 24, 2018 08:03PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 353
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018