advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Buying new toilets - recommendations?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: January 25, 2018 01:05PM
My wife checked Consumer Reports and some online sources, but I told her I would check with the authorities.

So, here I am: our house is older (built in '82) and sometimes it feels like the toilets are even older than that. Flush very slowly, gurgling noises, etc. They are just very basic, very old toilets.

I've been wanting to replace them for awhile now, but my wife was hesitant. But now even she's on board.

We want to replace 4 (possibly 5) toilets.

I want something that flushes super fast and super strong, has those slowly floating down toilet seats/covers (ie, that don't crash down), but won't break the bank.

Our house is soft contemporary indoors, so we would like to take that into account when picking the style of toilet.

Not sure about price range as we are just starting to look and don't really know what's considered a reasonable price for what we're looking for.

Also, we'll have a professional plumber install them, so would also like to know what's a reasonable rate for them to charge for installation of customer-provided toilets.

Thanks in advance.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Buying new toilets - recommendations?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 25, 2018 01:26PM
Flushing slowly and gurgling could easily just be the valve inside the tank, which is a $10 part at Home Depot, and takes all of 5 minutes.

Add a new seat and they should look/work like new.

If you do go new -- IMHO Id just drop into HD/Lowes, find the one you like looks/budget wise and get them.

Ive never had one installed, so no help there, Ive always done it myself, its really not hard.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 25, 2018 01:32PM
The parts have been changed several times in all the toilets since we moved in 2010, so I think it's an inherent old toilet problem and not related to a parts issue.

Yes, we'll stop by the big box hardware stores and check out our options.

Thanks.
Posted by: Bo
Date: January 25, 2018 01:34PM
We bought this one 3 years ago and it has been fantastic: Toto Drake Elongated 2 Piece Toilet CST744EL#01 Cotton White It's our primary toilet in the house and I think it has only clogged once or twice due to excess TP in that timeframe. It is not a vacuum assist, just standard flush. We're in CA so had to go with the 1.28gpf regulation.

Also bought a Toto soft close seat but returned it (don't really want to know what they do with returns). It was just uncomfortable.

Then got a Bemis easy clean soft close that worked great for a while then started slamming shut. Hate it. Need to get something else.

Edit: Looks to retail for about $250, check for local rebates as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 01:36PM by Bo.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 25, 2018 01:40PM
The BEST ( IMHO) would be Toto. I have two of their "Comfort Height" commodes. Not cheap, but they sure power through the flush!

[smile.amazon.com]

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: iamrfixit
Date: January 25, 2018 01:46PM
Don't underestimate the value of a modern high efficiency toilet. These are built with an oversized trap, internal glazing of the trap and a much larger flapper assembly. They flush much more powerfully using just over a gallon of water than than the old 5+ gallon toilets ever did. In the early 90's when the 1.6 gal mandates first arrived the first water saver toilets were especially bad and would clog with almost every flush.

I have installed numerous "American Standard Champion" toilets and have two in my house. I always install the chair height model, not quite as tall as some ADA models but much more comfortable to use. These work so well, you can throw your plunger away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 01:47PM by iamrfixit.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 25, 2018 01:51PM
All the toilets flushing slow might be a plumbing problem , not toilets and a plumber and even a half-way decent local handy man could figure that out by lifting one, setting it up in the back yard and flushing it outside. Testing inside/outside time.
If it flushes outside fast you likely don't need new toilets.

Edit: Wanting new toilets is another bowl of wax.

I'd still do the above test. You could just have crappy toilets.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 01:55PM by billb.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 25, 2018 02:00PM
Another vote for Toto Drake Elongated, but I'd get the 1.6 gallon if allowed. Get the Sanagloss coating or whatever the new name for that is. We have two and they have NEVER clogged. You have to replace the flap and the lever piece every 4-5 years or so, but it's simple to do. The soft close seat is purchased separately. The Toto seat was fine for us, but I do recall the plumbing supply rep saying the fit isn't for everyone.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 25, 2018 02:05PM
Toto again. By far. I have installed Drakes to replace old units in our house and they are excellent.
The vacuum flush models will fail after 8-10 years.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 25, 2018 02:08PM
Go for personality and pizzazz!

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 25, 2018 02:10PM
.....used....is free.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 25, 2018 02:13PM
Im sure those Totos are nice and all, but not sure I could handle the $300 price, especially if you need 5. (5 bathrooms?)

Decent Kohlers/american standard 1.3 GPF should be under $150, with seat. Even a soft close seat.

Big boxes have hundreds online, we bought in store. Our was/is very similar to this AS, $160

[www.homedepot.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: January 25, 2018 02:15PM
Go for the Toto. Easily the best toilet we have had. The Drake is nice. Get the ADA height and the glossy coating. The easy close lid is fine, ours lasted about 7 years and had to replace, but not difficult. None of our Toto toilets have clogged.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 25, 2018 02:16PM
just another vote for Toto, WITH Sanagloss...
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 25, 2018 02:18PM
Back a couple of years when we were looking I ran across a big evaluation that used something like cooked oatmeal in a sleeve to represent, well, you know.

This Glacier Bay got a great review and we've installed 3 in our house and 2 in my daughter's house. Never clogged and works well. It doesn't have the soft closed lid but I presume they are easily available.

[www.homedepot.com]
Date: January 25, 2018 02:25PM
....this forum talks a lot about toilets.......

Posted by: Cary
Date: January 25, 2018 02:34PM
When I redid my bathrooms, I went with Toto. Thery are fantastic. I am not sorry for the investment. I also bought ADA height elongated - much more comfortable.

We went with 1 piece toilets, although I considered the Drake.

You can generally get 35 - 40% off list prices online, and/or use those prices to match at the local plumbing supply...
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 25, 2018 02:46PM
And as long as you're getting new toilets you might find this worthwhile:

[tools.woot.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 25, 2018 02:53PM
We bought the Water Ridge Toilets from Costco. Review here: [theplumbinginfo.com]
Bought them for $85 each.
Soft close seat, all components included, ADA height is awesomeness. The only con is the buttons on top. Most people are not used to it.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 25, 2018 02:59PM
Get the maximum capacity low flow toilet for your locale... I made the mistake a couple of years ago by buying a minimum low flow model, thinking we could get a rebate, only to find out the rebates ran out a couple of weeks prior (oops). I think the 1.6 gpf (maybe 1.5 gpf) is the sweet spot (sorry), the 1.1 gpf we got is just not enough for regular use. A morning bombing and strafing run can take three flushes, and there's so little water in the bowl that the days of peeing three or four times between flushes to save water, are no more. Very unscientifically, I'd say the 1.1 gpf American Standard Cadet uses more water than the Toto Drake 1.6 gpf in the other bathroom based on average water per use. I don't think AS still sells the "water sense/flo-wise" Cadet in 1.1 gpf, pretty sure you have to get 1.28 gpf, or another model to go real low.

After checking out your plumbing issues per the above suggestions in the thread, if you're still gonna go new, keep an eye on the big box home supply and plumbing outlets, as they tend to rotate thru brands and models, and stackable sales and promo codes. Also factor in stuff like ebates and credit card rebates, as there can easily be well over $100 difference for whatever model you decide on among the sellers for that model.

As Mr. Fixit says, the AS Champion is probably the best flusher to be found, and often comes w/ a quiet close seat (check vendor's specs), though it's not the beefiest/sturdiest slow-close seat in the realm. You can get the Champion for under $200, and if you're gonna install 4 or 5 of 'em, I would think you'd get somebody to do 'em for about $75/ea... We can find plumbers to do a single install here in L.A. for $100, so I would think you'd get a quantity discount in TX. The Champion is probably the only model I'd settle for 1.28 gpf if necessary... don't know what your req's are there, but I'll never go super low flow again. Good luck.
==
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 25, 2018 03:05PM
NewtonMP2100
....this forum talks a lot about toilets.......

Noshit......... wink smiley

As for a good flush, look at the pressurized tank models.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 25, 2018 03:17PM
I'm not getting into brands but just be sure it has the 2" opening in the tank, not 3". The latter is generally a American Standard Cadet 3, and is a pain to find parts for without going mail order (and when your toilet don't work, you do not want to be waiting on shipping).

Secondly, check the toilets you have first - the old pre-low volume flush toilets are better than anything made today. If you do decided to replace them, don't throw them away as they are worth money to many people.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 25, 2018 03:17PM
Also, check on your county’s website and see if they offer a rebate for replacing older toilets with new efficient ones. Many GA counties do and it is like $100 per toilet up to three, I think.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: davester
Date: January 25, 2018 03:48PM
Another Toto elongated sanagloss fan here. If you don't want to spend the money, how about just changing out the most used couple of toilets in the house.

I have a difficult time imagining a house with five toilets (though I guess you do live in Texas where everything is bigger, including the quantities of BS).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 03:49PM by davester.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 25, 2018 04:42PM
davester
Another Toto elongated sanagloss fan here. If you don't want to spend the money, how about just changing out the most used couple of toilets in the house.

I have a difficult time imagining a house with five toilets (though I guess you do live in Texas where everything is bigger, including the quantities of BS).

Excellent idea. Just start with one before you flush all your money away.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 25, 2018 04:49PM
How about this one?

[www.guggenheim.org]
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 25, 2018 05:03PM
Michael
Back a couple of years when we were looking I ran across a big evaluation that used something like cooked oatmeal in a sleeve to represent, well, you know.

This Glacier Bay got a great review and we've installed 3 in our house and 2 in my daughter's house. Never clogged and works well. It doesn't have the soft closed lid but I presume they are easily available.

[www.homedepot.com]

Ditto. Get the elongated chair height model.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 25, 2018 05:04PM
Do some research here

[terrylove.com]
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 25, 2018 05:04PM
$tevie
How about this one?

[www.guggenheim.org]

I think the Guggenheim offered to lend this to 45 (no kidding!).

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 25, 2018 05:38PM
Replaced 3 older toilets at a relative's home with Toto Drake "eco" (1.28 gallon) flush toilets

One ADA-height in the master bath, though I didn't find it comfortable.

BTW, at that time what made them "eco" was nothing more than the addition of a float on the flapper chain.

When the original flapper died I just bought a Korky replacement and presto, it's now a 1.6-gallon flush.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 08:12AM by Bill in NC.
Date: January 25, 2018 05:42PM
uo-oh
chittting on the thread is happening

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Pops
Date: January 25, 2018 07:44PM
Stick with comfort height ones.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 25, 2018 09:38PM
We replaced 5 toilets in our house last year. After extensive research, went with Icera, which used to be called St. Thomas Creations. Consumer Reports rated the St. Thomas Creations Richmond as their top model.
[icerausa.com]

We got one of the Richmonds, two of another model, and one each of other models (a total of 4 different models). The Richmond was a two piece, and the others all one-piece. All were less expensive than the comparable Toto or Kohler toilets, the two brands two different competent plumbers had said they had the least trouble with.

All Icera models come with a soft-close, easy-to-remove seat. Most other companies price the seat separately.

Icera claims to have a unique flushing technology which they call "Hyperion" or "EcoQuattro". They may have other names for it, so if you see it referred to by something else, its the same thing - I called them to clarify this before buying.
[icerausa.com]

Georgia requires 1.28 GpF toilets, so all of ours are low-flow. So far, about 10 months into it, the Icera models are working as well as the 3.5 GpF toilets they replaced, and far better than a low tank one piece Kohler which never worked very well. Not saying we never need a plunger, but no more often than we did with the higher flow toilets.

In another location last year we got a Drake® II Two-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Elongated Bowl SKU : CST454CEFG#01,
however, I don't have much experience with that one - went on reviews and other's recommendations.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 25, 2018 09:46PM
I didn't expect a thread about toilets to be so active.

Washing machines? dishwashers? TV? Cars? YES. toilets? no. yet I am surprised to see so much activity in this thread.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 25, 2018 09:56PM
My Terry Love link came from DealMac way way back when. It is a topic that keeps on crapping cropping up.
Date: January 25, 2018 10:04PM
space-time

Washing machines? dishwashers? TV? Cars? YES. toilets? no. yet I am surprised to see so much activity in this thread.

It's great that you jumped in made a splash.
Even if it's just a little plop, it counts.

[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 10:04PM by billb.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 25, 2018 10:10PM
billb
space-time

It's great that you jumped in made a splash.
Even if it's just a little plop, it counts.

And you wonder why I didn't refer to Consumer Reports No. 1 model?

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 25, 2018 10:29PM
This thread is awesome. Thanks so much for all of the helpful info. We have a lot to look into in the coming days/weeks.
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 25, 2018 11:33PM
Speaking of toilets - I have been absolutely delighted with this bidet toilet seat I bought.

[www.amazon.com]

No remote controls, air dryers or anything like that. Even I could install it.

Turns out you don't need warm water - the H2O in your house's pipes is sufficiently close to room temperature.

I'm going to put one in my other place.

[Edit: uh, I'm going to put one in my other home.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 11:34PM by stephen.
Date: January 26, 2018 06:40AM
stephen
Speaking of toilets - I have been absolutely delighted with this bidet toilet seat I bought.

[www.amazon.com]

No remote controls, air dryers or anything like that. Even I could install it.

Turns out you don't need warm water - the H2O in your house's pipes is sufficiently close to room temperature.

I'm going to put one in my other place.

[Edit: uh, I'm going to put one in my other home.]

....thanks....it warms the little bottom.....just thinking of this.....

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 26, 2018 09:42AM
SDGuy
just another vote for Toto, WITH Sanagloss...

Done with toilet search.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018