advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"upon my death" checklist?
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 27, 2018 02:21PM
There must be an app for that. Every time someone I know passes unexpectedly, I start thinking about making a list of things loved ones should know to make things easier on them at the time. Not just final arrangements, but also lists of credit cards, bank accounts, where to find passwords, where's the car title, mortgage, etc. I know could probably just make a list of things as I think of them, but there must be a simple program that can walk you through everything with a simple Q&A, not unlike a tax program.

Any recommendations?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "upon my death" checklist?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 27, 2018 02:28PM
1. Double-check my pulse.
2. Not my problem...
3. See #2.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 27, 2018 02:29PM
......to live.....like you've never lived before.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 27, 2018 02:31PM
[www.gyst.com]

This is a good place to start.
(Get Your Sh$t Together)

We believe life happens and the idea of not being alive is so overwhelming, most of us put off making plans. At GYST, we help everyday busy people put end-of-life plans together one small step at a time from Advanced Care Directives to managing your Digital Life.

Our Story
When life went sideways for each member of the team at GYST, we each found ourselves in incredibly personal and un-mistakenly individual tail-spin of worry, overwhelm, fear, grief, and sadly, even regret. But when we told each other our stories, the lessons were similar, the feelings universal, the experience was very similar – we all nodded our heads in the same, "Yes, I know.", "Me, too." and "Same here".

Turns out, while we felt very alone – most of the rest of the country is (or will be) in the same boat.

In fact, over half of the US is terribly unprepared (like we were) to answer the relatively easy question: "What happens if something happens?"

There has got to be a better way to plan for the best and be prepared for the worst – and that's what GYST is here to do. For all of us.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 27, 2018 02:31PM
I have see things like that, but can’t recall exactly what they were called. I think there may even be an app for that. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: billb
Date: January 27, 2018 02:53PM
I have a list in my safe.
I have a will.

I have yet to make someone power of attorney for medical and legal affairs upon my poor health or death but I should.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 27, 2018 02:59PM
Hey, I'm still haunted by reading Poe, so I want everyone to just let me lay there for a good bit.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 27, 2018 03:15PM
billb
I have a will.

I have yet to make someone power of attorney for medical and legal affairs upon my poor health or death but I should.

Can someone get in your safe?
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 27, 2018 03:18PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
1. Double-check my pulse.
2. Not my problem...
3. See #2.

agree smiley

ROTFL

4. when you're SURE I'm dead, notify whoever picks up Organ Donors. Once I'm gone, ANY part of my remains that might help somebody else, they're welcome to. boink smiley
Posted by: billb
Date: January 27, 2018 03:32PM
Dennis S
billb
I have a will.

Can someone get in your safe?

Yes. My mom and one of my sisters both have the combination in an envelope in their safes. In case me and the missus dies in a plane crash or something unlikely but possible.
so my accounts and passwords are accessible.
I think my mom has copies of all my paperwork, too.
Did it in 2004 shortly after my dad died and ran into no one knows the passwords problems. Luckily many of them were good guesses. Like 'what was the name of the cat when he set up this account' , or the garage door opener code. or a combination of both . LOL

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 03:34PM by billb.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: January 27, 2018 04:05PM
Difficult because of the variance in possibilities and the fact that many times, you want the documents certified. Try looking for "legacy drawer" or legacy box. Dave Ramsey has a video series, but that costs money and his lists of things is what you need. See for instance the following list of the legacy drawer and discussion on Reddit. [www.reddit.com]
The key is that you must update/review regularly.
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 27, 2018 04:30PM
Thanks for the thoughts.

I just read that article about the "Legacy Drawer" on Ramsey's site. And that gyst.com is interesting and informative. There's no shortage of information about what to do and the need to do it. I'm just looking for an efficient (and simple) way to deal with the daunting task.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 27, 2018 04:41PM
wurm,

That is why I have a Living Trust. It covers all of that. We review it every year and update as necessary.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Date: January 27, 2018 04:44PM
modelamac
wurm,

That is why I have a Living Trust. It covers all of that. We review it every year and update as necessary.

I've always wondered: Can you update it yourself or do you have to pay the lawyer?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 27, 2018 05:21PM
Tell Cameron Diaz I'm sorry we never got back together again after those happy 3 years.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 27, 2018 06:38PM
Dennis,

You need a witness for updates as well as the original. The lawyer or someone in that firm will do nicely, as well as making sure that your addition will pass the tests of law. Have them prepare Medical Directives. Carry one with you wherever you go, and give one copy to the executor of your estate.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Date: January 27, 2018 08:12PM
modelamac
Dennis,

You need a witness for updates as well as the original. The lawyer or someone in that firm will do nicely, as well as making sure that your addition will pass the tests of law. Have them prepare Medical Directives. Carry one with you wherever you go, and give one copy to the executor of your estate.

Thanks. Does the lawyer charge much for an update?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 27, 2018 08:47PM
Steve G.
Tell Cameron Diaz I'm sorry we never got back together again after those happy 3 years.

We talked about it, and she realizes it was best that you both moved on. Then she met me and never looked back. Sorry buddy.
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: January 28, 2018 07:48AM
1Password has a notes field that I update periodically. I print it out and put in our safe that my wife and boys have the combination to. The first line has my 1password password. You can also attach documents in the notes field where there's a PDF copy of our will.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 28, 2018 11:00PM
billb

When we re-did our wills our attorney had us do:
- living will
- medical power of attorney
- financial power of attorney

You need all three.

We have copies at home, with a note that the originals are with our attorney.

Don't ever put these documents in a safe deposit box.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: what4
Date: January 29, 2018 07:11PM
Been thinking about this.

Just today I got notarized the convenient $5 Five Wishes living will form. along with a power of attorney designation. Went down to the Credit Union and reviewed the account to make sure the wife had access to all parts of it (she didn't till then, due to their error).

Already have an uncomplicated will in the first folder in the cabinet that is marked, "In the Event of my Death."

I've discussed with my older son where to go to figure out the master password for 1Password. He knows how to run my little online business.

Wife and at least one son are signatory on all bank accounts. Cars and real estate are own by wife "or" me, so either can sell.

Later this year, I'll think about setting up a trust. Even though the amount involved is modest, I saw -- upon my mother's death -- how a trust, combined with a will, simplified the handling of the estate.

Then I need to make the arrangements for cremation and the funeral service for my wife and me, and draft an obituary, so others won't have to figure this out while grieving.

If I missed anything important, let me know.

And I'm in excellent health at 3/4 of a century!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2018 07:13PM by what4.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 29, 2018 11:09PM
what4
Then I need to make the arrangements for cremation and the funeral service for my wife and me, and draft an obituary, so others won't have to figure this out while grieving.

If I missed anything important, let me know.

And I'm in excellent health at 3/4 of a century!

Congrats on being a septuagenarian! (I could coin dodracentenarian = 3/4 of a centenarian.)

The comments on planning for a funeral and related things is a good, and for me, helpful, one. I think we did say something about interment in one of our documents, but I agree that additional planning can be a huge help to your family. Bravo for being "forward" thinking!

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020