advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
You're in charge of choosing the new Amazon city. You have one minute. Which city do you choose?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 27, 2018 04:00PM
I pick Nashville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: You're in charge of choosing the new Amazon city. You have one minute. Which city do you choose?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 27, 2018 04:05PM
Lebanon, KS

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Re: You're in charge of choosing the new Amazon city. You have one minute. Which city do you choose?
Posted by: DP
Date: January 27, 2018 04:06PM
Detroit, of course!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 27, 2018 04:15PM
Siberia... Actually, I don't have an answer - don't care, but I suspect that if it was Siberia, there would be some interesting stories told...
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 27, 2018 04:17PM
Nashville

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 27, 2018 04:22PM
Not mine
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 27, 2018 04:43PM
The capital of Patagonia.

Amazon is helping slowly strangle the brick and mortar stores. The employment Amazon adds is less than that lost by the closing of the B&Ms.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 04:48PM by modelamac.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 27, 2018 05:09PM
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC

But they'll have to fumigate first.

Posted by: testcase
Date: January 27, 2018 06:07PM
Atlantis........... boink smiley
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 27, 2018 06:18PM

Atlanta

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 27, 2018 07:25PM
Are we choosing from the finalists, or from any darn city we please?

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 27, 2018 07:35PM
$tevie
Are we choosing from the finalists, or from any darn city we please?

I didn't think it through. Whatever you want to do.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 27, 2018 07:48PM
East buttfook, where the natives can use the work.
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 27, 2018 08:58PM
I like the international potential of Toronto and especially Miami as a gateway to Latin America, or LA for the Pacific rim (although it doesn't buy them that much more access than Seattle...) However the objective seems to be domestic so I'm ruling them out.

I think the most logical choices for a company whose prime focus is logistics would be a logistics city like Atlanta or Chicago or Denver. Denver seems too close to Seattle... although legal pot could play a role. Atlanta seems unlikely to me just because their airport is already at capacity. Midway and O'Hare give Chicago some flexibility and Milwaukee's just a couple hours up the road if need be, and the rail system can't be beat for bulk rate.

However, I suspect this is partly a political move intended to shift the sands of our democracy in a way that favors Mr. Bezos' politics; to that end I'd expect it to go to a state where 50k jobs would actually make a difference, like Nashville where they would be a dominant local business able to bend laws to their advantage (aerial drone delivery, for example.) To this end I'd think Indianapolis and Raleigh on high up on the list. Or consolidation with other business interests could bend it towards the DC-area possibilities.

Dark horse pick - Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure where I'd like to see this Amazon HQ2 go. I don't like the race to the bottom... to me it would make more sense to have 10 additional "nodes" of 5k workers instead...

Whoops. That was a lot more consideration than a minute's worth.

Let me try again.

It'll be Toronto.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 27, 2018 09:23PM
Wherever it ends up, I sincerely hope the locals don't get screwed over by their new corporate overlord.

Just a few major corporations have permanently changed Seattle in a very short period of time, and NOT for the better. Those already here were completely ignored and screwed over in the process of attempting to prepare the city and surrounding region for newcomers 5-20 years down the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 09:53PM by Racer X.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: January 28, 2018 05:37AM
Long shot
Indianapolis

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 28, 2018 06:27AM
Atlanta, unfortunately.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 28, 2018 06:55PM
I choose Philadelphia.

Posted by: Winston
Date: January 28, 2018 10:56PM
Racer X
Wherever it ends up, I sincerely hope the locals don't get screwed over by their new corporate overlord.

Just a few major corporations have permanently changed Seattle in a very short period of time, and NOT for the better. Those already here were completely ignored and screwed over in the process of attempting to prepare the city and surrounding region for newcomers 5-20 years down the road.

Well, Atlanta's been doing this for the 32 years I've lived there. Metro area more than doubled in population. But Atlanta doesn't have an ocean on one side. Most growth has been to the north. But the airport is on the south side. Lots of room to expand.

There's even talk that the state government may start providing funding to MARTA. Which in spite of being called the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority only includes 2 of 12 Metro counties, with a couple more counties which could be included. The SMSA includes 30 counties. Apparently Atlanta is the only major city transit system without any state support. We've got heavy rail, but only on two lines which form a + over the center of the city. (OK, a couple of spurs - one line due north, one northeast.) And again, only cover two counties.

I think on the whole the growth has helped most people in Atlanta. While in-town housing prices have risen in the last few years, there is also a lot of infill development. Still cheap housing available on the edges.

The big issue is traffic, especially in town. The City of Atlanta itself is supposed to be moving to smart traffic lights, but I don't know about other areas. The City of Atlanta only makes up about 10% of the population of the metro area, maybe less (I've heard that's the smallest of any major metro area.) No annexation powers as, say, Columbus, OH has. The good thing is that this makes local jurisdictions conscious of competing with each other. Not a bad thing.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020