Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to password protect a folder
Posted by: jardster
Date: January 29, 2018 06:47AM
Looking for a little forum help here...

I'm running Sierra on my MBP and need to password protect one folder. Currently the folder has about 10 GB of documents in it, but I am constantly adding documents.

I found that you can create a disk image of the folder using Disk Utility and password protect that folder, but if seems as if the disk image size is fixed, and therefore you can't add more documents as you go on. I know there a LOT of apps out there that do this, so I have 2 questions.....

1) Is there a free way of doing this?

2) Are there apps that you have used and are happy with?

Thanks

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to password protect a folder
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 29, 2018 07:41AM
A Sparse disk image should keep changing size as you add to it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: January 29, 2018 07:55AM
C(-)ris
A Sparse disk image should keep changing size as you add to it.

When I try to create an image from a folder, it doesn't give me the option for a sparse disk....

I found it... instead of making an image from folder, just make the image and then dump in the folder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2018 08:07AM by jardster.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 29, 2018 09:04AM
instead of making an image from folder, just make the image and then dump in the folder

This interests me, but what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. Can you walk thru your steps for me? Appreciate it greatly!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 29, 2018 09:49AM
Is this a shared computer?

Why not just create a second account for the other user?

No need to go thru the steps since they cant see your stuff...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 29, 2018 10:48AM
DP
instead of making an image from folder, just make the image and then dump in the folder

This interests me, but what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. Can you walk thru your steps for me? Appreciate it greatly!

Open disk utility... Go to "file" and select New Image -> Blank Image. I then set the parameters... size of 100 GB (make sure I have plenty of room, I've only got about 25 GB of stuff I need to lock up now) and "sparse disk image" and the encryption level.

Worked great.

Date: January 29, 2018 02:26PM
OK, I did that but it gives me a .dmg and how do I add a folder or other info to a .dmg?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Date: January 29, 2018 02:39PM
Sorry-ignore that last post-I missed the sparse image. But, I gave it a password, but when I double-click on the sparse image icon, it opens without asking for a password.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 29, 2018 03:22PM
DP, you have to add your files, then unmount the image. It only asks for the password when you try to re-open the image.
Date: January 29, 2018 03:34PM
then unmount the image

You mean eject it?

Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 29, 2018 04:17PM
DP
then unmount the image

You mean eject it?

Yep. Then open it up to re-mount it and it should ask you for the password. Beware that it seems you can delete the unmounted image without using a password.
Date: January 29, 2018 04:48PM
Boy, what a pain! Why can't there be an option with a new folder to just password protect it?

OK, thx, jard and mike.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 29, 2018 08:28PM
DP
Boy, what a pain! Why can't there be an option with a new folder to just password protect it?

OK, thx, jard and mike.

Because it wouldn't be secure with just a password. You CAN give a folder permissions so that only your users could see it, but ignoring the ownership on the disk option would negate that as would anyone with an admin or root level account. You need encryption as well as a password. The sparse image provides encryption. The other way to do it would be to use Filevault on your account.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: February 01, 2018 02:21AM
Not free, but Espionage does exactly what you want. I have been using this software for at least 5 years without any hiccups.

[www.espionageapp.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 360
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018