advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Peer reviewed American history book free
Posted by: rexs
Date: January 31, 2018 05:01PM
University of Chicago Press has a fee ebook each month.
http://press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

This month's freebie

Building the American Republic

Building the American Republic Vol I and II
Building the American Republic is an engaging and accessible two-volume narrative history of the United States, that is suitable for introductory college and advanced high school courses.

The first volume, A Narrative History to 1877, runs from pre-Colonialism to the Civil War and Reconstruction. The second, A Narrative History from 1877, carries the story through the 2016 election. Taking a deliberately multifaceted and inclusive stance, the authors tell a stimulating story that will lead to a deeper understanding of America’s past and present.

Building the American Republic, Volume 1: A Narrative History to 1877
by Harry L. Watson

University of Chicago Press, 2018

Cloth: 978-0-226-30048-1, eISBN: 978-0-226-30065-8, Paper: 978-0-226-30051-1

ABOUT THIS BOOK
Building the American Republic combines centuries of perspectives and voices into a fluid narrative of the United States. Throughout their respective volumes, Harry L. Watson and Jane Dailey take care to integrate varied scholarly perspectives and work to engage a diverse readership by addressing what we all share: membership in a democratic republic, with joint claims on its self-governing tradition. It will be one of the first peer-reviewed American history textbooks to be offered completely free in digital form. Visit buildingtheamericanrepublic.org for more information.

Volume 1 starts at sea and ends on the battlefield. Beginning with the earliest Americans and the arrival of strangers on the eastern shore, it then moves through colonial society to the fight for independence and the construction of a federalist republic. From there, it explains the renegotiations and refinements that took place as a new nation found its footing, and it traces the actions that eventually rippled into the Civil War.

This volume goes beyond famous names and battles to incorporate politics, economics, science, arts, and culture. And it shows that issues that resonate today—immigration, race, labor, gender roles, and the power of technology—have been part of the American fabric since the very beginning.

AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY
Harry L. Watson is the Atlanta Distinguished Professor of Southern Culture at the University of North Carolina. He is the author of Liberty and Power: The Politics of Jacksonian America and An Independent People: The Way We Lived in North Carolina, 1770–1820. His coedited books include Southern Cultures: The Fifteenth Anniversary Reader and The American South in a Global World.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Peer reviewed American history book free
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 31, 2018 06:13PM
Thanks. Will send the link to my son as well!

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 31, 2018 09:36PM
i don't mean to be obvious but what does "peer-reviewed American history textbooks" actually mean?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 09:37PM by robfilms.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 31, 2018 09:42PM
robfilms
i don't mean to be obvious but what does "peer-reviewed American history textbooks" actually mean?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

It means Texas wouldn't be interested in using the textbook.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rexs
Date: February 01, 2018 01:26AM
Is Building the American Republic peer reviewed?
Yes, the text of both volumes went through the same rigorous review process that is applied to all University of Chicago Press books.

more
peer review
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 01, 2018 08:26AM
IMHO, post-modernist academe has put a different twist on "peer review".
Posted by: Winston
Date: February 01, 2018 08:40AM
Don't know how the University of Chicago Press relates to this, but University of Chicago is one of the few universities to be not-politically-correct about a lot of the silliness that pervades American universities today.

[freeexpression.uchicago.edu]

They don't have "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" and expect their students to behave like adults.
[www.chicagotribune.com]

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 01, 2018 09:36AM
TLB

This opinion, not having met with a successful peer review, should not be taken as a serious statement on the subject. MRF is a known publishing mill for people with all manner of unsubstantiated opinions.

smiley-laughing001

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: February 01, 2018 10:49AM
Speedy
robfilms

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

I downloaded and looked at them and you're right about that Speedy!

Fred
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 01, 2018 11:24AM
Speedy
robfilms

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

:-)

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 01, 2018 02:02PM
rjmacs
TLB

This opinion, not having met with a successful peer review, should not be taken as a serious statement on the subject. MRF is a known publishing mill for people with all manner of unsubstantiated opinions. And undiagnosed mental illnesses

smiley-laughing001

FTFY.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 01, 2018 10:00PM
Speedy
robfilms

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

What it actually means is that it's an academic treatment of history. I enjoy reading history books written for the general public, but an academic treatment of history just puts me to sleep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015