You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Mac OS?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 03, 2018 08:17AM
Poll
58 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Best Mac OS

So what's everybody's favorite Mac OS. I will save my own vote for later...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Mac OS?
Posted by: Winston
Date: February 03, 2018 08:32AM
Left out Tiger - 10.4. Or maybe meant that instead of 10.3 Panther?

It was the most stable OS I've ever used.

Must say that being able to do Messages and FaceTime on El Capitan (10.11) is pretty cool, and it's almost as stable as 10.4.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 03, 2018 09:01AM
just moved from Mavs to Sierra - OK so far.

need to buy Snow Leopard installer from somewhere since my CDs (even 10.6 Server) won't boot my machines anymore, and I'd like to make a new, small SL partition for some older software.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: February 03, 2018 09:15AM
There is no Maverics version.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 03, 2018 09:35AM
10.4 was an amazing OS as it had full classic mode.

10.6 is a great OS but is the past. Sorry, I like all of the integration with iOS.

I voted Mavericks because it’s the most stable modern Mac OS in my experience.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 03, 2018 09:50AM
I like System 6 but lately I have some trouble running it on the current MacBook Pro. I fear Apple may not be supporting the older operating systems very well anymore.
Date: February 03, 2018 09:52AM
deckeda
I like System 6 but lately I have some trouble running it on the current MacBook Pro. I fear Apple may not be supporting the older operating systems very well anymore.

I hate that NOW utilities doesn’t run under High Sierra...
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 03, 2018 09:54AM
No love for OS 9?

angel smiley
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 03, 2018 10:05AM
My faves include System 7.1 and 8.6, Tiger, and Snow Leopard. Of the more recent ones, probably Mavericks. I still miss a couple of classic utilities (CopyAgent, Super Boomerang, and some Now utilities).
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 03, 2018 12:25PM
Wow, A/UX. As Obi-Wan would say, that's a name I've not heard in a long time.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 03, 2018 01:48PM
Taking the subject line as a firm guideline, nothing before 8, or after 10.7.x qualifies. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

OS 8.6 was pretty good.
OS 8.1 was the last to work on 68k machines.
System 7.1 was the first version where I got an early developers release, it was so cool getting it five months before the official release.

OS 10.6.x was my favorite version of 10, lots of improvements without losing features.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 03, 2018 02:30PM
Tim Cook needs to look at the image of that poll rotated 90 degrees CCW.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 03, 2018 02:39PM
Maybe 10.6.x is popular because was the last major version released before a majority of developers were mercilessly poached for the iOS division.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: February 03, 2018 02:40PM
I LOVED my computer for years. I LOVED the OS. My first was7.1. LOVED the upgrade to 7.5, to 8.0 to 9. 10.3 was a little rough, but 10.4 was awesome. LOVED the upgrade to 10.5 then 10.6 and then the love ENDED abruptly. Like seeker mentioned above - it's all in the past and I don't try to live in the past, but my love for the OS was nearly hysterical until I was forced to move from 10.6.

My macs are are becoming less about love and more about being working tools.

My late 2013 laptop is fast enough for anything I need to do mobile. I cant image needing another one. My 2015 imac is awesome, but upgrading is gonna cost a lot more than this one did.

What I'm getting to is that I'm not 100% sure that my next computer purchase will be a mac. Makes me sad to just think about it, but here we are.

The next OS is CRITICAL imo - if it's a true swing-an-a-miss AGAIN, I might wander off...
Date: February 03, 2018 03:28PM
Just put in a vote for OS 9. Not because the OS was so wonderful (remember Conflict Catcher?), but because we have so much great software which was not ported over to OS X.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 03, 2018 03:41PM
Of the pre-OS X operating systems, 8.6 would be my favorite. It was very stable and performed well on the systems out there at the time. 7.6 would be runner-up, Apple finally got both the 68K and PowerPC code working well. The OS 9 releases were okay, but just a bit less stable.

For the OS X releases, 10.6.8 remains my favorite. With Rosetta supporting older PowerPC applications still and being quite stable, it showed what Apple;s developers could do with an OS. Releases since then have been buggy in various ways, or broke older applications. 10.10 is fairly stable, but I keep coming across various oddities after it has been running a couple weeks or more.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 03, 2018 03:57PM
I'm 100% with Joe.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 03, 2018 04:16PM
Yeah, that works for me too. 8.6 and 10.6.8 are the high points so far.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 03, 2018 05:26PM
Sierra has been very stable for me I still liked something Snow Leopard better.

Grateful11
Posted by: rz
Date: February 03, 2018 06:36PM
Tough choice between Snow Leopard and Mavericks. I was fascinated by 10.1, which is the first version of OS X that I used. Everyone hated it because they said it was so buggy, but I didn't have any problems with it. I got it for free because they were giving it away to people who paid to try 10.0. I found a hack online where you could go directly to it from OS 9 without having 10.0.

I still can't decide between SL and Mavericks though. I'm currently running El Cap, and while i haven't had many problems, I just liked Mavericks better. And I still run a VM of SL, so at least I get to experience it about once a week.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 03, 2018 06:57PM
You left off 6.0.5. Definitely in the running.

But I have soft spot for 7.6.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 03, 2018 07:44PM
BEOS!!!

Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 03, 2018 08:02PM
For PPC Macs, I think OSX 10.4 was the best.
Date: February 03, 2018 11:41PM
Thanks for all the opinions and knowledge!

My first was System 7.1.2 for my first Mac, a PowerMac 6100! I really loved it!

I didn't put every version in, just some of the bigger and later ones.

I did play with Mac OS X on my Wallstreet 10.0 and 10.1 weren't very useful, but 10.2 Jaguar was what switched me from booting into 9. 10.3 was awesome; multi user switching was a huge step up.

I stuck with 10.6 on my iMac until I replaced it with my Current MacBook, and while I keep current for security, I have a partition with Lion running; for old time sakes. I have Sheepsaver in that partition, so I can really go back in time. I haven't tried Sheepsaver on the new partition.

It's a real shame Apple killed Rosetta, I would gladly pay for it.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: February 04, 2018 12:26AM
Rolando

I'd pay for it too. But Apple never owned the software that Rosetta was based on. When IBM bought up the company Apple was licensing it from, they did not have any interest in continuing to license the tech to other companies like Apple.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 04, 2018 03:11AM
I no longer use it--except on rare occasions--but my favorite is Snow Leopard. It would be even better if Apple continued to update and improve it, but even though it's a dead end it's still my favorite.

The change they made in the Finder in later OSs where opening folders reuses the same window (and screws up its placement) instead of opening a new window pisses me off to no end.

JoeH
Rolando

I'd pay for it too. But Apple never owned the software that Rosetta was based on. When IBM bought up the company Apple was licensing it from, they did not have any interest in continuing to license the tech to other companies like Apple.

I did not know that.

Date: February 04, 2018 09:51AM
JoeH
Rolando

I read that IBM killed the license as well. I wonder why. This is the new IBM, running on services, and while a consumer service like Rosetta would not be a windfall, a few $$ is always good, no?

Date: February 04, 2018 10:31AM
I think it's more likely that Apple decided to move on. Apple has a history of dropping older technologies.

The Wikipedia article on Rosetta says that it was based on QuickTransit.
[en.wikipedia.org]

The article on QuickTransit says that IBM supported other companies use of the technology:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Now, that doesn't mean there was not a re-licensing issue that was part of Apple's decision. Rosetta was part of OS 10.4 to 10.6. We are just more aware of it in 10.6 because 10.6 will not run on PowerPC processors.

I'd forgotten about the 68k emulator that Apple included in the OS when PowerPC Macs came out. Per the Rosetta article, the 68k emulator was implemented at a much lower level and was much more tightly tied into the OS than Rosetta.
[en.wikipedia.org]
"The Mac 68k emulator is a software emulator built into all versions of the classic Mac OS for PowerPC. This emulator enabled running applications and system code that were originally written for the 680x0-based Macintosh models. With a few exceptions, notably Connectix's RAM Doubler, the emulator ran all software with no noticeable impact other than lower performance relative to the same program when compiled for PowerPC."

"Because it was built into all PowerPC versions of the classic Mac OS, the emulator was also part of the Classic environment in Mac OS X."

I'd also forgotten that System 7 ran on PowerPC Macs. My first PPC Mac was a beige G3, which I think came with OS 8.
[en.wikipedia.org]
"System 7.1.2 was the first version to support PowerPC-based Macs."

Rosetta was more like Sheep Shaver or Parallels - an application on top of the OS. I'd also forgotten that it was an optional install with Snow Leopard.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: February 04, 2018 12:03PM
Apple moving on could be part of the equation. But the acquisition of QuickTransit by IBM was in 2009, just a couple months before Apple released Snow Leopard. So the license they had developed Rosetta for it was with the prior corporation, and was an existing usage that IBM had to support.

Lion was released nearly 2 years later without Rosetta. From what I recall being reported at the time, Apple would have needed to relicense the QuickTransit technology to update Rosetta to work with the new OS. No information leaked out with details of how much IBM was asking for, or if Apple even had approached them. But a telltale fact is that even though "IBM supported other companies use of the technology", that appears to have been only for existing applications. None but IBM has been using it for years.

Rolando mentioned IBM running on providing services. One of the services IBM provides is modern servers with emulator packages based on this tech they acquired to handle running legacy software applications. The servers can be Power or Intel based depending on the needs.
Date: February 04, 2018 05:12PM
JoeH
Apple moving on could be part of the equation. But the acquisition of QuickTransit by IBM was in 2009, just a couple months before Apple released Snow Leopard. So the license they had developed Rosetta for it was with the prior corporation, and was an existing usage that IBM had to support.

Lion was released nearly 2 years later without Rosetta. From what I recall being reported at the time, Apple would have needed to relicense the QuickTransit technology to update Rosetta to work with the new OS. No information leaked out with details of how much IBM was asking for, or if Apple even had approached them. But a telltale fact is that even though "IBM supported other companies use of the technology", that appears to have been only for existing applications. None but IBM has been using it for years.

Rolando mentioned IBM running on providing services. One of the services IBM provides is modern servers with emulator packages based on this tech they acquired to handle running legacy software applications. The servers can be Power or Intel based depending on the needs.

The tech underlying Rosetta is pretty amazing. I'm disappointed Apple did not renew the license, but it was bound to happen. Apple was dumping legacy hardware and software from 10.4 to 10.7. All in the Master Plan.

10.4 supported Classic and PowerPC.

10.5 dropped Classic, but supported PPC.

10.6 dropped PPC hardware support but kept Rosetta for older apps.

10.7 - no classic, no PPC hardware, no Rosetta. Dumped some older Intel hardware. The first Clean Intel Mac OS.

Note: this frees Apple to start running an ARM-based Mac OS team if they wanted to. Only need to support Intel legacy stuff.

10.8-10.11 basically added features - like iOS integration. Worked on almost all of the same hardware. For most people, these were largely upgrades as far as I can tell.

10.12 dumped some Intel hardware and runs on the newer USBA-free Macs. Did not break a lot of software to my knowledge.

10.13 is definitely dumping older software, added the new file system, and added bugs. But no real new features.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020