advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question about TV mount
Posted by: rz
Date: February 07, 2018 04:58PM
I currently have a 39" TV on a mounting arm which is bolted into my wall. I recently purchased a 50" TV to replace it. The mount that it's on is rated to 60 pounds. The new TV only weighs about 28 pounds, so I'm good there. But in the manual for the mount, it says: Max screen size: 47"

Is this just because at the time the mount came out, most 47" TVs weighed in the 60 pound range? It's a standard mount. It should fit the back of the TV fine. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work on the 50" TV. If you have any insight, I'd love to hear it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question about TV mount
Posted by: billb
Date: February 07, 2018 05:16PM
I'd go with weight unless you're mounting this outside in storm force winds, then you may want a bigger mount for your sail.
or maybe in ring of fire earthquake area prone to extreme torsional forces.

you'll probably void any warrantee expressed or implied though

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 05:17PM by billb.
Posted by: artie67
Date: February 07, 2018 05:33PM
You're fine. Find the proper angle and push it back towards the wall to keep the weigh load at a minimum.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 07, 2018 05:34PM
The spec sheet for our 47" 8-10 year old TV has it at 90 lbs. I think you're good. It could just be an issue that a larger TV may not have the same articulation as a smaller one (might hit walls trying to turn, tilt, etc.).
Posted by: rz
Date: February 07, 2018 05:50PM
Thanks. The mount is probably at least 5 years old and is discontinued. But the company is still around and has a whole bunch of new mounts. I'm guessing I'll be ok. The bad part is that we got the 39" tv as an open box at Best Buy and it didn't have a stand. Selling it with no stand and no mount might be tough.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 07, 2018 05:58PM
rz,

Don't assume the VESA patterns supported by the mount will include the pattern on the TV. Definitely check before making your purchase. The mount may be fine in every way except for the VESA pattern.

It also sounds like you're using a single arm mount. Not a fan of those for larger TVs such as a 50" model. The issue isn't weight in itself. It's the way the weight is spread and the balance of the TV.

Just food for thought.

Robert
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 07, 2018 07:16PM
rz
Selling it with no stand and no mount might be tough.

Upgrade your current mount for $40 and give them the old one.

Tons to choose from.

[www.monoprice.com]

You should be able to find a mount for $10-12, then raise the price on the TV $20.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 07, 2018 10:30PM
The difference in weight is about 10-15 years of progress. My 50" Plasma had a glass screen, and was much heavier than my current flatscreen! OTOH, the picture was soooo much better than LCDs from 2003!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015