advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mother @#$%&! I need a new winter jacket for cold weather (<25°F)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2018 07:39PM
Its my first full Wisconsin winter in many years. In NYC I was always able to get by with a wool jacket and a warm hoodie underneath. The wool jacket's cuffs began to fray from wear (hoping to fix with a trip to a tailor) so I pulled out my _really_ warm Columbia Titanium interchange jacket (fleece and hard shell layers) which I probablyyyyy bought about 10 years ago.

I am very happy with the Columbia jacket until I notice a flakey yellow-white dandruff - some sort of waterproofing layer is flaking off. A couple of trips through the washing machine aaaaand now it has a rip in the elbow.* Mother @#$%&! I'm done with this.

---

Options for replacement -

a) Go to some place like Kolh's, Fleet Farm, or similar places and hope to find their nicest jackets at season closeout prices.

b) Go with some sort of puffy layer / hardshell layer. On the cheaper end is Uniqlo. I might get both layers for $120. If I follow Outside mag recommendations, it could top $700. (ridiculous, yes, but what info should I believe?)

c) ???

Criteria - has to be warm and durable. Fashionable would be nice

What do you like for cold winter outerwear?

* I am dreaming of owning my own washing machine. One that's _not_ top load with a central agitator. This machine tore open _two_ garments today. Never again....

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mother @#$%&! I need a new winter jacket for cold weather (<25°F)
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 11, 2018 07:48PM
I have a mighty fine hooded sweatshirt with BARABOO on the front that is great under a winter capable outer coat. Layers are good.

My experience is that farm supply stores carry better cold protection clothes, but they don't score very well on the fashion scale.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 11, 2018 07:50PM
.......Canadian Goose is ubiquitous now but expensive......they have cheaper 'knockoff' brands.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 11, 2018 07:52PM
[www.sierratradingpost.com]

maybe something there would work for you.

I prefer Columbia when I can, but as you said, NY is nowhere near as cold as Wis.
Just spoke with my buddy up there shoveling out the 3rd storm for the last few hours.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 11, 2018 08:01PM
Carhartt when you want to be warm. Fashionable? I would say no, but that's debatable.

[www.carhartt.com]

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 11, 2018 08:05PM
L.L. Bean:

[www.llbean.com]
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 11, 2018 08:06PM
How long is your outdoor exposure?

In general, as you probably know, it's base layer, mid layer, then outer layer. It's well worth getting one really good mid and outer layer each. I like Columbia for base layer. I don't know that one can beat Patagonia's down sweater (actually a down jacket that's surprising thin) for a mid layer. And you can use it without an additional outer layer in warmer but still winter temps. RAB microlight alpine is a close second. For women it's a larger, less fitting cut. The Patagonia R1 or R2 fleece is secondary mid layer I wear under the down layer when it's low 30's or below (I am a cold person). The outer layer should be windproof and water resistant. With all of these, except the base layer, you must use tech wash and TX Direct to clean and maintain DWR. Normal detergents can ruin DWR. I don't have a suggestion for an outer layer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 08:07PM by Pam.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: February 11, 2018 08:43PM
well 25f is not particularly cold, what are you doing and what would use this for? Driving to work, or are you going ice fishing?

I would only use a hard shell if there is a specific reason for that and/or you like the style. If there is an Eddie Bauer around the first ascent line is nice (and their stuff is pretty much always on sale). You want something warmer than a light down or synth puffy layer, so something that has more of a shell with insulation built in (100g of primaloft or more).
Date: February 11, 2018 08:45PM
michaelb
well 25f is not particularly cold, what are you doing and what would use this for? Driving to work, or are you going ice fishing?

I'll clarify - down to about 0°F. Shoveling, hiking, enjoying the Wisconsin outdoors in the winter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 08:46PM by mattkime.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 11, 2018 08:59PM
My recipe for surviving Minnesota (since 1995):

1) Wool socks (dual layer when below zero). Keep your feet warm, all of the rest of the body stays warm.

2) I have a Columbia dual layer winter coat, real winter gloves, stocking hat (latest is from NASA in Florida, so nothing super warm), wool scarf when below zero (mine is from Scotland, but any non-scratchy scarf), I wear a sweatshirt hood as needed, and I have ski pants (or long underwear) for below zero outings.

My next jacket will come from Patagonia. Life-time guarantee, they know outdoors.
Date: February 11, 2018 09:10PM
sekker
My next jacket will come from Patagonia. Life-time guarantee, they know outdoors.

Yeah, thats how I feel about it at this point.
Posted by: John B.
Date: February 11, 2018 09:11PM
I see lots of Columbia - if you liked what you had, might want to try to find something similar. My go-tos for cold weather / extended outdoor are....

1. Columbia 2-layer system (older than yours), puffy nylon jacket inner layer with harder nylon outer parka layer, or
2. 5.11 2-layer system, heavy fleece jacket inner layer with hard nylon outer jacket length. This was about a $225 jacket last year.

What you wear underneath that is also driven by conditions. Size with enough room to get a sweatshirt layer underneath if needed.

Midwest retailers will be moving into closeout season...check all of your locals plus online like REI/REI Garage, etc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 11, 2018 09:31PM
When it's below zero, style goes out the window:

(That's my outfit for walking/running at -30F.)

For casual everyday winter use I go with a Carhartt lined hoodie. Anything else is too warm and I end up shedding and then carrying the clothing item. FleetFarm has what you need.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 09:31PM by Speedy.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 11, 2018 09:38PM
Silk undie thermal layer, fleece mid and then a jacket or coat with a water repellent skin. The silk had the added benefit of being anti odor.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 11, 2018 10:17PM
What size are you, mattkime? I have an 90's era, hardly-been-used Columbia Whirlibird down jacket/waterproof shell combo (size L or XL, not sure) I've been looking to get rid of for some time now. Outer shell is dark grey with a red liner; down jacket is reversible and can show either a red or blue liner.

I only ever wore it a few times - it is simply too much jacket for SoCal. I'll give you a good price on it - PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: I found photos of the jacket (sans liner) online. You can't see the images below, but if you right-click on the missing graphic icons and select "Open Image In New Tab/Window" you will be able to see them.

It is what it is.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 10:31PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: blooz
Date: February 11, 2018 10:35PM
My Northface jacket with hood is great in the cold and wind. I like my Uniqlo undershirts and long sleeve undershirt. Layer, layer, layer.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 11, 2018 11:04PM
Layering is the way to go. Keep in mind that the principle behind layering is to trap warm air between the layers. This requires that all of the garments are relatively loose fitting. Tight clothing is not as insulating. Of course, the other advantage of layering is that it’s easy to add or remove layers to adjust for changing temps.

The worst thing you can do in cold weather is to overdress and start sweating. This can lead to hypothermia, which is a very uncomfortable and occasionally fatal condition. You can get hypothermia even in warm temperatures - during the summer, for instance.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 11, 2018 11:07PM
I would call Columbia customer service. They’ve been really good at stand8ng behind their products for me.
Date: February 11, 2018 11:10PM
....think Columbia was taken over by another company [ could be wrong ] and quality went down.....

Posted by: goodmanx
Date: February 11, 2018 11:52PM
i've always had good luck with marmot. they're having a season clearance sale. haven't looked to see what's left.

good luck!
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 12, 2018 12:32AM
Might want to check out Steep n Cheap. I bought a Marmot softshell there a few years ago for about $60, nice deal. That's my main winter coat here in cold KC although it is fairly useless sans layering under it. I have a Spyder hardshell circa '05 with a liner that is more substantial but bulky. Only wear that when it's <30. Which is most of this winter! Look for wool neck gators, socks, etc as mentioned. Warm and wicking.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 12, 2018 06:40AM
Another vote for LL Bean. They have a sale going on right now. The Packaway jackets are not big and bulky.

[www.llbean.com]

Keep your feet warm, all of the rest of the body stays warm.

And your head. A hat will keep a lot of body heat in...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 12, 2018 07:34AM
Eddie Bauer on sale

I have a couple years on mine and it rocks.

A T-shirt and parka and you are good to goooooo.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 12, 2018 08:26AM
A $5 Tenacious Tape repair kit should hold you over until a suitable sale comes along.

As others have mentioned, I too like to layer so the waterproof outer shell is separate from the down component and inner fleece. So when one fails I don't have to replace all three.

The inner fleece can be washed more often than the entire coat. And by not having to wear that outer waterproof GoreTex layer every time I wear the coat, it lasts much longer. I've worn that outer Goretex shell maybe 5 times in the year.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 12, 2018 08:34AM
another vote for good wool socks and boots and layer, layer , layer. I will admit I do own a huge down 'car coat', but I will only wear it when the temperature is below 0F. Otherwise it's too hot. My go to layer is.. wicking T shirt, long sleeve shirt (Henley or dress), Columbia fleece jacket, Columbia rain shell. I have a pair of leather Thinsulate gloves and of course my Tilley 'dad hat' which gets compliments wherever I go. If it's really cold a sweater may be added in there. If I'm camping, long johns go on to keep the legs warm. A balaclava might go on the head under the Tilley if it's super cold.
Date: February 12, 2018 11:51AM
Sold myself and bought another at that price. Wife insisted. Birthday month.secret smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 12, 2018 04:15PM
Time to cowboy up...

==
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 12, 2018 04:22PM
The good news is this is the time when a lot of stores start putting their winter coats on clearance. A year or two ago at about this time of year I got a seriously warm coat for about 25% of its original cost. You can tell when you try it on whether a coat is "seriously" warm. I only wear it when it's below 20F. Otherwise I wear the typical LL Bean or Eddie Bauer type lighter coats in the winter.

Also, a trick for cold weather that I learned many years ago from a roommate: long underwear. Long johns make an enormous difference in your comfort when it's cold.

Date: February 12, 2018 05:12PM
Cowboy coat.
I had one of those in the late 70's early 80's.
Sleeves were a little more conservative.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 05:13PM by Bernie.
Date: February 12, 2018 06:39PM
....all you need is your spouse to keep you warm......eskimo snuggle....!!!!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 13, 2018 12:26AM
NewtonMP2100
....think Columbia was taken over by another company [ could be wrong ] and quality went down.....

Yes, just as Columbia took over Early Winters and ruined THEIR products.
Date: February 13, 2018 12:16PM
....same goes for Eddie Bauer.....it used to be great but Spiegel or someone bought it out......and it went downhill....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015