Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
High Sierra taking forever to load on new partition
Posted by: dmag
Date: February 11, 2018 07:39PM
Hi,

Wife's MBP has OSX 10.9.5 with 4GB RAM. Runs well.

I just set up a new partition for Disk Warrior and the only installer available to me was for High Sierra — which I've avoided on my laptop (staying with Sierra 10.12.6).

So, I install HS in a 30GB partition. I didn't clock it the first time it loaded but I knew it was long. At 20 minutes and no login interface, I restarted.

Now, it's again at 20 mins. and nothing. Is HS super quirky, do I have to do anything else?

Tks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: High Sierra taking forever to load on new partition
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 11, 2018 08:57PM
What model MBP? It can easily take a half hour to install HS on a modern SSD-based Mac. With hard disk based Macs, can easily take 40m to an hour or more to install.

If you abort it by force-restarting, you can hose it and potentially hose other partitions. And yeah, HS is quirky. HS seems to be especially prone to messing up 10.6 partitions. (DiskWarrior can usually fix them.) Have not seen it mess up a Mavericks partition... yet.

I suggest rebooting with the option key held down to boot into 10.9, then verify each volume with the Disk Utility and if all comes up well then go ahead and reinstall on the new partition and give it more time to complete.

...Also, how old is that MBP? Have you run a SMART check recently?

Date: February 11, 2018 09:11PM
SMART says it's okay.

HS was installed. It's just not loading on restart...or is taking too long (I stopped after a half-hour just now).

It's a mid-2012 model (something I can upgrade, etc.). I've got the same exact MBP and it runs Sierra flawlessly.

Just located a Sierra installer, erased the HS partition, and we'll see if this one works any better.

Thanks.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 11, 2018 09:40PM
Oh, did it stall at the end of the progress bar?

Yeah, seen that in High Sierra. I've had it resolve after leaving overnight, but that's not always practical. Reinstall also took care of it.

Date: February 11, 2018 09:49PM
Yes, it took maybe 10 minutes to get to the end of the progress bar, then it just sat there.

Hopefully, erasing and going with Sierra will yield better results. It's worked well for me so far.

Thanks.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 12, 2018 06:43AM
You can get Sierra here, and it might be better, if the partition was changed to APFS, you may need to reformat.
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 12, 2018 07:13AM
I would not go above Mavericks with only 4GB of RAM. Apple Discussions are full of posts from people with minimal RAM (4 GB) who found their systems unacceptably slow after installing post-Mavericks OS versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 07:13AM by ka jowct.
Date: February 12, 2018 07:28AM
ka jowct
I would not go above Mavericks with only 4GB of RAM. Apple Discussions are full of posts from people with minimal RAM (4 GB) who found their systems unacceptably slow after installing post-Mavericks OS versions.

Finished installing Sierra before your post hit. If my wife sees a slowdown I'll be happy to load Mavericks up instead. Thanks.
Date: February 12, 2018 07:29AM
Ken Sp.
You can get Sierra here, and it might be better, if the partition was changed to APFS, you may need to reformat.
[support.apple.com]

Thanks!
Date: February 12, 2018 07:30AM
Put Sierra in for the partition that is meant for Disk Warrior only and all went well the first time around. The system booted in 60 seconds, unlike High Sierra, which was a major boondoggle.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 12, 2018 05:28PM
dmag
Put Sierra in for the partition that is meant for Disk Warrior only and all went well the first time around. The system booted in 60 seconds, unlike High Sierra, which was a major boondoggle.

Should be perfectly fine if you are just running DW from it.

I took a smallish (500GB) drive a while back, put it in our host's transparent enclosure, and partitioned it for half a dozen OS versions, each with a few key utilities. Figure it could come in handy, if I ever need to clone back a system and be up and running quickly.
Date: February 12, 2018 06:01PM
ka jowct
dmag

Should be perfectly fine if you are just running DW from it.

I took a smallish (500GB) drive a while back, put it in our host's transparent enclosure, and partitioned it for half a dozen OS versions, each with a few key utilities. Figure it could come in handy, if I ever need to clone back a system and be up and running quickly.

Like that idea. I have such a drive. Might be worth doing the same thing. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015