advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Had to get a new discover card
Posted by: blooz
Date: February 11, 2018 10:43PM
For the third time. Somebody in Tucson, AZ, where I haven't been for forty years, bought stuff at the Sears store.
I didn't use my card for months except to buy plane tickets thru Cheap Tickets. No problems with them the last two times I did that.
I've had problems with gas purchases and/or motel reservations. Where have any of you had problems with credit card purchases?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Had to get a new discover card
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 12, 2018 06:40AM
Why did they get even a second chance to use your stolen card number?

I had a problem with a card that had probably been skimmed ata restaurant in Austin,TX. Several charges were made a few minutes apart at gas station convenience stores about two weeks later. Card was cancelled immediately.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: February 12, 2018 07:46AM
In addition to the Chinese hack of the US Government database a few years ago and the breeches at Target, Home Depot and others the only other time I've had a card (or personal information) hacked was at a local Chinese restaurant which is now out of business.

With all the hacks that have occurred on my credit cards and personal information my credit cards get replaced on a regular basis and I've got so many "free" credit monitoring services that I should be covered until 15 years after I'm long dead and buried.

The best card I've found that really stays on top of things and is extremely pro-active is American Express. Just amazing how they catch things almost immediately and take care of it. The MasterCard I had with an old Credit Union came in second, but they switched MC services and their support went to hell so I dropped them. So far I've had very few problems with Visa. They seem to be pretty pro-active and have some funky two-factor protection scheme that I sometime trip over, but other than being a minor annoyance it seems to be working.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 12, 2018 08:37AM
My bank called a week ago and said that my wife's credit card had been hacked. No 'fraud' was detected, but they sent her a new one anyway.

Keep in mind.. the current ecosystem goes like this:

1- Hackers steal credit card numbers (usually from Point of Sale systems that are not compliant with PCI DSS).
2- Hackers offer credit card numbers for sale on the dark web.
3- Banks BUY the credit card numbers from the hackers, and immediately engage fraud detection and so forth.
4- Banks analyze transactions, find the weakness, and plug it.
Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 12, 2018 09:07AM
I went through that a few years ago with Discover Card. DC is the primary card I use and, use it to auto-pay several recurring bills. Having to change account numbers is a royal pain but, over the decades, DC has always provided me with EXCELLENT customer service (with English speaking, U.S. based customer service reps). Amazon allows me to link my DC cash back so, using that cash back is very easy.

Now that we're hearing that the Experian hack is FAR more serious than originally reported, I fear we all can expect more bad news re all credit reporting companies. sad smiley
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 12, 2018 09:36AM
Freeze your credit!!! It's eazy-peazy.

[clark.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 12, 2018 01:52PM
I have a MasterCard that hasn't had it's account number changed since May 2001, that's almost 17 years. Just lucky I guess.
Posted by: fauch
Date: February 12, 2018 05:58PM
Chinese hackers recently got my card info. Not sure from where. Bank called me and sent a new card right away...
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 12, 2018 07:05PM
fauch
Chinese hackers recently got my card info. Not sure from where. Bank called me and sent a new card right away...

Did the bank actually tell you that it was Chinese hackers? When this has happened to members of our family, the only word from he bank about the breach is a vague "a merchant was compromised".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 283
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015