advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
calling cat people
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 11, 2018 11:00PM
The cat's plastic litter box has been in use for several years now and is getting a nice layer of "calcium-like" film on the sides. Is there a way to remove that without damaging the plastic, or making the box unusable for the cat. It does not really scrape off so chemicals of some sort would seem to be in order but I don't want to damage the box nor leave a film or odor that would make the box unappealing to the cat.

I have discovered that the Arm & Hammer Sliding litter is the easiest to clean of any brand I have used. The clumps come up much more cleanly than anything else. In our box, clumps do NOT slide out, but they do lift out very nicely. It's more expensive than the house brands, but Kroger has been offering $1 off which helps with the price some.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: calling cat people
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 11, 2018 11:04PM
I suggest replacing the box. I use high-walled plastic storage containers with lids from the local Family Dollar.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2018 11:10PM
Replacing is going to be less effort than cleaning.

(If you're going to ask a question about litter boxes, I'm going to be tempted to pitch you on the idea of using the Breeze litterbox system.)

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 11, 2018 11:13PM
The film is almost certainly from the Arm & Hammer litter and is why I stopped using it.

Unlike regular clumping litter, it's loaded with baking soda which sticks to everything and leaves a tough coating wherever it has gotten damp (and it's nowhere near as good for deodorizing vs the activated charcoal/carbon you'll find in other products).

It should turn into a gross muddy substance after a few minutes soaking with water and a mild solvent such as pine-cleaner. You can then wipe it off with paper towels and a little elbow grease. Rinse it with plain water afterwards and wipe it down with paper towels to remove the worst of the pine-odor.

...Or just get a new litter box and try Fresh Step litter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 11:14PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: February 12, 2018 08:27AM
Vinegar or Lime Away. Both will rinse away with fresh water and will not harm the plastic.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 12, 2018 09:30AM
neophyte
Vinegar or Lime Away. Both will rinse away with fresh water and will not harm the plastic.

I use vinegar with my cat fountain. Cheap and amazing. Granted I fill up the fountain and let it soak and then the deposits come off really easy (much easier than with Lime Away, CLR, etc). You'd need a lot to fill up a litter box though, but maybe you don't need to soak it, or you could angle it and do one side at a time.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 12, 2018 09:39AM
yeah, just get a new litter pan.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 12, 2018 12:12PM
Gareth
neophyte

I use vinegar with my cat fountain. Cheap and amazing. Granted I fill up the fountain and let it soak and then the deposits come off really easy (much easier than with Lime Away, CLR, etc). You'd need a lot to fill up a litter box though, but maybe you don't need to soak it, or you could angle it and do one side at a time.

Could also use some rocks or a smaller pan inside to displace enough volume to help reduce the amount of vinegar you might otherwise need.

I would just get a new pan, although beware the cat may not approve if the size is not similar.
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 12, 2018 04:00PM
Well, yeah, a new box is certainly high on the option list, but I am trying to keep the plastic out of the trash if I can. The film started collecting long before I started using the Arm & Hammer product.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Have to look more closely at the Breeze system.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015