advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Should I upgrade 2009 MacBook?
Posted by: Drew
Date: February 12, 2018 01:28AM
2009 MacBook 6,1 "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09). Currently has 4gb RAM and 250gb HD (5400 rpm).

Primary use would be at church services to display PowerPoint or other similar presentation software onto screen and also (possibly) record sermons for later podcasting. Current MS Office is 2011, so I could install that. It seems cheaper to upgrade this than buy something else and some funds are available.

Would it make sense to upgrade internal drive to SSD and RAM to 8gb?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Should I upgrade 2009 MacBook?
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 12, 2018 01:43AM
SSD everyday and twice and Sunday. Ram meh.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 12, 2018 04:07AM
If it does what you want and you are satisfied, then why replace it?

A SSD upgrade will make it like a new machine.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: February 12, 2018 04:40AM
Thanks. Looks like SSD upgrade is the way to go.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 12, 2018 06:29AM
My '09 MBP C2D 2.53 4GB 15" is still going strong (although a new battery may be on the shopping list) and I added an SSD a couple of years ago. Made it a new machine and those older machines are easier to replace the HD by the user.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 12, 2018 08:24AM
Drew,

Replace the platter drive with an SSD. It'll bring new life to the machine. I woudn't upgrade the RAM. Yet. See how the machine does with just the SSD upgrade. I think for what you're doing with it, the SSD alone will be sufficient. Can't help you with what capacity SSD but I wouldn't go with just the bare minimum. You can easily get 240GB/250GB models in the $75 or so range. Just saw this via Rakuten:

[slickdeals.net]

480GB for $99. Don't know anything about AData drives but that is a solid deal!

Robert
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 12, 2018 09:04AM
jdc
SSD everyday and twice on Sunday. Ram meh.

agree smiley
Posted by: jh
Date: February 12, 2018 09:24AM
Wife has mid 2009 C2D 13" Macbook. Upgraded the drive to 500 gig SSD. If you are installing the drive yourself (it is pretty easy--look for install videos from our sponsor) and if your church can afford it, I would go ahead and upgrade the ram to 8 gigs while you are at since you will have it open anyway. The latest OS it can take is El Capitan if you have not already upgraded or need to.

As the saying goes you may want to put the biggest HD size you can afford in it because you never know what the future may hold.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 12, 2018 09:42AM
I put an SSD into my 2006 Macbook and it's very usable. The only thing I use it for currently though is to pull programs off my DVR using a Hauppauge HD-PVR. I didn't feel like paying for the newer version and the old version still works fine. I need to convert some cassette tapes to mp3 for my sister, and I'll probably use it for that too.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 12, 2018 09:46AM
JH,

You can get 2009 MBP 13" models for $250 or less. It's worthwhile to do the SSD but not necessarily cost effective to do the RAM. The sheer improvement in performance from the SSD negates the necessity of it. Considering the age of the machine, I'd save the bucks I'd spend on RAM to use towards a new battery, which is the most likely next expense.

Robert
Date: February 12, 2018 04:29PM
Thanks all for the good help. I'm going to go with an SSD first and see how it performs. Then, as suggested, think about maybe battery and RAM. This is really going to help us out.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 13, 2018 02:28PM
Ditto to everyone else. Just upgraded my 2010 MacBook Pro with a 1TB SSD from OWC (they had a sale in December), and really does feel like a new machine. And, it's still got a working optical drive!

My son upgraded both his 2011 MBP and his wife's white MacBook, and they're both fine and running late OSes, too.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015