advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Suggestions please for a new jogger/runner
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 12, 2018 09:02AM
I’m 51. My athlete daughter, 11, wants to run or jog now that her basketball season is winding down. I want to support her but taking her to the track while I sit in the car is ludicrously stupid.

My question is as much for me as it is for her. She’ll have more stamina than me, but apart from that what should be some goals with respect to time or distance? This would be done outside on a track at least until the weather gets better.

I think I’ve overcome her objections to not running with the basketball with the help of an iPod instead.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Suggestions please for a new jogger/runner
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 12, 2018 09:10AM
Why can't she run in your neighborhood? Or maybe you live near the track?

Why does she want to run? What does she enjoy about it?

Couch-to-5k can be a good starting point.

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 12, 2018 09:15AM
Watch your knees. Brisk walking = less impact.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 12, 2018 09:37AM
Find a big circle, have her run around the outside while you take a shorter inner track.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 12, 2018 09:52AM
My wife started on a "walk to run" program put on by the local track shop. She started almost 2 years ago, and combined with starting to eat more sensibly, she's lost about 60 pounds. She's competed in several 5Ks and a few 10Ks. Her style is "run-walk". She runs (more like jogs) for about a minute, then walks for about two minutes. But her walking pace is pretty brisk. I think her personal best in a mile is about 13 minutes and some change. Not bad for someone who used to have to use a scooter when we went to Disney just a few years ago.

My 9 year old is in a track club at school. He's not exactly fast though. he's got a runner's build (tall, thin), but he's just not very athletic. But he has fun and enjoys it. The local track shop has a "Smile Mile" run every year, and his best mile time is around 10 minutes.

I don't run. I do like to walk, and have actually walked a 5K a couple of times with my son. But I am not interested in actually trying to run.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 12, 2018 09:57AM
Ease into it. Wait at least a week before your first marathon!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 12, 2018 10:03AM
My wife started running at age 50 to help get our son off his duff, offering him $20 if he got in good enough shape alongside her to run in a VA fundraiser put on by a local running shop. They ran it, he got his $20, and they both kept on running, with him joining his school cross-country team the next fall. She started out slow, along with the other oldies in her group at the running shop, and has since run in a big annual local race. She says the running shop program was key.

Posted by: billb
Date: February 12, 2018 10:17AM
You're a lot less likely to fall on a track than running around the neighborhood on poorly made sidewalks or none at all. There are also no jackasses in cars.

As far as goals you have to document what you are capable of now - without damaging yourself and then make incremental gains. Too much too soon and you stress body parts. If something starts to hurt - that's a sign of your current limit. Give it the time it needs to heal and then get back at it again. Build stamina and strength little bits at a time.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 12, 2018 12:28PM
....it is probably safer on a track.......all around......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 12, 2018 04:04PM
Go to the track. You both can go at your own pace. If that means she literally runs circles around you, so be it.

Depending on how out of shape you are, you will probably want to start by walking. Even if you're not out of shape, walking is terrific exercise. Running can be pretty hard on the body.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015