advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Big cat poacher is mauled to death and EATEN by the pride of lions he was hunting
Posted by: DP
Date: February 12, 2018 11:37AM
A big cat poacher has been killed and eaten by the pride of lions he was hunting at a private game reserve in South Africa.

The hunter was heard screaming for help as he was attacked at the Ingwelala Private Nature Reserve in Hoedspruit outside Phalaborwa.

But the lions quickly killed their victim and devoured most of his body before being chased off, leaving his head untouched.

Two .456 big game rifles and ammunition were found at the scene and that is the weapon of choice used by those hunting big game - especially elephant and rhino in the bush.

'I cannot say if it was poachers as the matter is under investigation but that is their weapon of choice and they usually work in groups of three and work under cover of darkness. Two sets of footprints have been found running away and obviously the dead and eaten man.'

Mr Lynham said there were no anti-poaching groups in the area at the time and nobody was working in the area.

But he added that, despite being speculation 'it would seem very possible that you have poetic justice here.'

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Big cat poacher is mauled to death and EATEN by the pride of lions he was hunting
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 12, 2018 11:41AM
Oh, just another "Cat eats Man" headline.
Re: Big cat poacher is mauled to death and EATEN by the pride of lions he was hunting
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 12, 2018 11:45AM
There is no ".456" cartridge that I am aware of that is anyone's choice for anything...

But, this deserves a "That's a good kitty!" at the very least.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 12, 2018 11:47AM
.....they said that malls.....were dying.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: February 12, 2018 11:54AM
The .460 Weatherby Magnum is a belted, bottlenecked rifle cartridge, developed by Roy Weatherby in 1957. The cartridge is based on the .378 Weatherby Magnum necked up to accept the .458-inch (11.6 mm) bullet. The original .378 Weatherby Magnum parent case was inspired by the .416 Rigby. The .460 Weatherby Magnum was designed as an African dangerous game rifle cartridge for the hunting of heavy, thick skinned dangerous game.

[en.wikipedia.org]

.456 up to .460 is only 4 thousands of an inch. A .458 Weatherby could work and it could be just the writer's error, writing ".456".

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 12, 2018 11:55AM
Now if only the Lions in Detroit could get some just desserts.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 12, 2018 11:56AM
Paul F.

There IS karma ...
Date: February 12, 2018 11:56AM
Paul F.
There is no ".456" cartridge that I am aware of that is anyone's choice for anything...

Writers still do fact checking ?

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 12, 2018 12:36PM
well, that is the whole "man vs nature" struggle in a nutshell. Our opposable thumbs are not always what keeps us alive.

People do get attacked and sometimes killed by what they are hunting. I'd be more afraid of a pack of wild boar than a pride of lions though. You can't reason with angry and evil.

I'm all for hunting for harvesting the animal for personal use, in accordance with all laws, local rules, and common sense and decency.

All I can say is Kudos to the Cats!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 12, 2018 12:36PM
HA ! emoticon-tv-015
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 12, 2018 12:56PM
Pretty sure they're talking about .458 Winchester Mag. That's a popular round for big game in Africa. Could also be a the SoCom .458, but not many Lions are wearing body armor.

Here's a video of IraqiVeteran8888 shooting one against defenseless pumpkins:
[www.youtube.com]

Although unlikely, it could possibly by a .458 air gun. Yes, they do exist.
[www.quackenbushairguns.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 12, 2018 01:01PM
....so if I'm......LION......I'm dyin'.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 12, 2018 01:41PM

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 12, 2018 02:19PM
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics

Date: February 12, 2018 03:07PM
I know what they meant... point is, if they can fornicate up a simple caliber designation without catching it, why should I trust anything they write?
Most likely, they mean a .458 Win Mag or one of the other dozen cartridges in the .458 "family", but NOT including the .460 Weatherby - which is a very expensive, rare, and "overkill" cartridge even for much larger game than lions.

DP
The .460 Weatherby Magnum is a belted, bottlenecked rifle cartridge, developed by Roy Weatherby in 1957. The cartridge is based on the .378 Weatherby Magnum necked up to accept the .458-inch (11.6 mm) bullet. The original .378 Weatherby Magnum parent case was inspired by the .416 Rigby. The .460 Weatherby Magnum was designed as an African dangerous game rifle cartridge for the hunting of heavy, thick skinned dangerous game.

[en.wikipedia.org]

.456 up to .460 is only 4 thousands of an inch. A .458 Weatherby could work and it could be just the writer's error, writing ".456".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 12, 2018 03:54PM
The .456 bit in the story is a direct quote. So if wrong, it is not the writer's mistake.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 12, 2018 04:09PM
You don't have to outrun the lions, you just have to outrun one of your fellow poachers... or not. Oops.
==
Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 12, 2018 04:22PM
Payback is a bitch!
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 12, 2018 04:37PM
AllGold
The .456 bit in the story is a direct quote. So if wrong, it is not the writer's mistake.

The man quoted was a photographer reporting what HE had been told. Perhaps, being more familiar with photo shoots than with gun shoots, the photographer garbled the information. Then again, being more familiar with the pen than with the sword (or gun), maybe the reporter simply could not read his own handwriting.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 12, 2018 04:57PM
Poacher... it's what's for dinner!

It is what it is.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 12, 2018 05:07PM
He done become a good poacher!

ROTFL
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 12, 2018 05:07PM
Taste like chicken yum smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 12, 2018 05:10PM
They must've been crazy hungry. They failed to use a pike.
Date: February 12, 2018 08:47PM
AllGold

That's how fake news is born. Not verifying quotes, or stories that might be pure fiction.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 12, 2018 09:26PM
billb
AllGold

That's how fake news is born. Not verifying quotes, or stories that might be pure fiction.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!

Otherwise any "reporter" can claim that since someone told them something, it must be true.

My ex-wife has a journalism degree, but left the industry because of the lack of attention for the details. If you can't get the basic stuff correct, then why should we believe the critical stuff? They hammered that into us way back on my HS newspaper days.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 12, 2018 11:40PM
I don't want to get this moved to the other side but fake news is not the same as shoddy reporting. Fake news is intentional and meant to deceive or provoke.

However, I won't argue against the guy being quoted not knowing what he's talking about. Nor would I expect the best reporters to be assigned to cover the African bush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 11:41PM by AllGold.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 13, 2018 12:15AM
Billb's been using the term "fake news" on this side essentially since the election, when Trump and the far right co-opted the term as a political tool to undermine more legitimate news sources.
Posted by: fauch
Date: February 13, 2018 07:55AM
Guns don't kill people, Lions do!!!
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 13, 2018 12:04PM
Carnos Jax
Billb's been using the term "fake news" on this side essentially since the election, when Trump and the far right co-opted the term as a political tool to undermine more legitimate news sources.

There has always been mistakes in journalism. Fake would mean the Lions didn't eat the dude the bullets are tangential.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 13, 2018 03:03PM
Correct, not only has billb been using the term incorrectly, but purposefully so as part of a politically motivated campaign. He tries to inject politics into threads on this side whenever he thinks he can get away with it.
Date: February 13, 2018 03:18PM
Thread$#!tting.... it's called Thread$#!tting... and he does it 20 times a day.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 13, 2018 09:14PM
AllGold
I don't want to get this moved to the other side but fake news is not the same as shoddy reporting. Fake news is intentional and meant to deceive or provoke.

Precisely

[en.wikipedia.org]

[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018