advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for a Macbook recommendation for wife
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 12, 2018 02:31PM
Once again I bow humbly before the collective wisdom of the Forum. My wife has been after me—with good reason—to get a replacement for her ragged 2006 white Macbook. It's really long in the tooth. Her needs are the most basic: MS Office, mostly Word and PP, email, and browsing the web. I think she would be happy to keep using it, but for the problems it has on a lot of web sites.

We'd like to get her something later, capable of rendering current sites properly. Money is a big issue, so for now we're willing to tolerate something that might be out of the update loop in a few years. I'm thinking a 13"MBP from around 2009-2010. My C2D mini works well enough, so an equivalent MBP would get us by. The "new" unit would get an SSD right away, and maybe a battery. I'm not familiar with the video chip problem, so would appreciate being steered clear of models with that issue. TIA

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for a Macbook recommendation for wife
Posted by: clay
Date: February 12, 2018 02:35PM
The 2012 pre-retina 13" MBP's are quite nice. Drop in a SSD. Should be able to find a nice one well under $500. Maybe even $300-$400 if you are patient, or get lucky on a local craigslist sale.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 12, 2018 02:39PM
Oddly enough, my daughter just upgraded her MacBook Pro of that vintage to a MacBook Air. I'd already upped the RAM and installed a 512GB SSD.

I've been meaning to eBay it.

PM me if you're interested.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 12, 2018 02:44PM
Like others have said - mid-2012 MBP, just add a SSD and 8GB RAM. It will be supported by Apple for the next 4 years since it was just discontinued last year. They are going for $700+ most places as that is the last model that could easily be upgraded, didn't need dongles, and had an optical drive.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 12, 2018 02:53PM
Video chip issues were mainly on the 15" models (and the G3/G4 12" iBooks), so not an issue to worry about.

What OS version is she currently running and what version would you like to run on the replacement? It seems like browsers and OS versions are more of the cause of the problems she's encountering.

A really cheap solution is the very last FW-400 White MacBook, MC240LL/A, mid 2009. They can be found for under $200. It would look identical to what she currently has, and can use the same charger, battery, and even hard drive for a very quick transition.

But they're getting a bit old now, the highest OS they can run is 10.11 (El Capitan). RAM is getting expensive too.

But these days, the 13" MBP from 2011 or 2012 would be choices to consider. 2011 (USB 2) if you need to run SnowLeopard, 2012 (USB 3) if not.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: February 12, 2018 03:01PM
I wouldn't recommend a Macbook for a wife. While computers can do a lot, there's just no substitute for a real woman.

Athens, OH
Posted by: billb
Date: February 12, 2018 03:08PM
[forums.macresource.com]
????

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 12, 2018 03:14PM
You didnt state your budget. Does that include upgrades...?

A used $40 120 GB SSD would make a world of difference if you are truly on a tight budget... Im assuming 120 GB is more than enough.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 12, 2018 03:46PM
I just (personally) love the older MacBook Airs - super portable, or hook them up to a screen, mouse and keyboard. Not very upgradeable at all, but if she can live within 128 GB, they already have an SSD, and a 2014 model can be had for under $400 on eBay.

Edit: Of course, you can get them with more RAM and a bigger SSD, but they cost a bit more. On the other hand, with some patience you can often snag a good deal from an individual owner with high feedback (which I would tend to favor over one of these crank-em-out "refurb" large-volume sellers).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 03:54PM by pdq.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 12, 2018 03:48PM
Yup, 2012 13" MBP with an SSD if you can swing it. 2012's add USB 3 for a bit more future proofing. No need to worry about video issues with 13" as it was the discrete video cards on some 15" models that had issues. 13" are all integrated graphics.

Also consider the 13" 2012 MacBook Air. Comes with the SSD already, but that also means upgrading (to a larger size) will be more expensive due to the custom form factor. And RAM is fixed at 4GB or 8GB and not upgradable.
Date: February 12, 2018 03:53PM
GGD,

She's on 10.7. 10.11 or up would be nice.

archipirata
I wouldn't recommend a Macbook for a wife. While computers can do a lot, there's just no substitute for a real woman.

Good one.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 12, 2018 03:54PM
.....she is only using for basic stuff....and Macbook Air is the cheapest price wise.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 12, 2018 04:11PM
Don't forget to figure in the cost of MS Office if you're not running the latest version and want to upgrade to a later version of OS X.
Posted by: Pops
Date: February 12, 2018 04:39PM
My wife and I have late 2011 13" MacBooks and are very happy with. RAM is not that expensive and easy enough to upgrade (as I did). I have no problems on mine, running High Sierra. A little slow running Office 2008, but when you consider that it still RUNS 2008 software is acceptable.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: February 12, 2018 04:51PM
I'm getting ready to hit the road for two months and put away my 2012 MacBook Air and my 2011 MacBook Pro and picked up a couple of used Unibody MacBooks-the 2010 White ones. Dropped SSD's in them, upped the ram to 8 gb each (that was more expensive than I thought it would be) and I'm happy as a clam. I think I have about $300 in the pair, running High Sierra and all of the apps you mentioned.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 12, 2018 05:06PM
I got my wife a base model 256GB 2017 MBP, since I found a good deal, $1295.
A MacBook Air would have been fine probably.
Just start with your max budget and you'll find a suitable model wife Mac
Date: February 12, 2018 06:21PM
BTW, I have some SSDs around to put in it, big enough for her.

I'd like to get away with $400 or less, lower the better.

The white uni is something I hadn't thought about.

Posted by: hal
Date: February 12, 2018 07:17PM
the 2010 uni macbook is the same thing as the 2010 MBP minus FW and illuminated keyboard

2011 13 MBP is a BIG jump and can easily be found for WELL under $400
Posted by: rz
Date: February 12, 2018 07:39PM
I got a macbook for my wife... best trade I ever made...
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: February 12, 2018 08:08PM
Is the interest in a 13" size because she likes that size or because you're thinking it will keep costs down?

As others have said, integrated graphics in those smaller sizes can sometimes be their limiting factor...

Like others, I have a hidden agenda - I've got a 2010 15" MBP I started to clean up for sale (meaning I need to put a suitable OS on the 128GB SSD that's in it - it's also got an empty OWC data-doubler).

~A
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 12, 2018 09:07PM
Another vote for this option.

clay
The 2012 pre-retina 13" MBP's are quite nice. Drop in a SSD. Should be able to find a nice one well under $500. Maybe even $300-$400 if you are patient, or get lucky on a local craigslist sale.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 12, 2018 09:38PM
My wife is very happy with her C2D 13”MBP with discrete graphics. Easy to upgrade SSD, battery and RAM up to 16GB. I bet you could get one for $250-300. Just check the screen and keyboard.

If she needs more mobility, get a MBA. Nothing else compares.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 13, 2018 04:39AM
Another vote for richorlin's 12" Macbook with denim sleeve that Billb posted:

[forums.macresource.com]

You get to help a forum member get rid of something that they don't need and you get a nice, lightweight modern machine in return.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 13, 2018 11:04AM
[forums.macresource.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015