[bgr.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iOS 12 rumor - ability to run iPhone apps on Macs
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 12, 2018 02:57PM
sekker
Very interesting if true.

[bgr.com]

Seems like that would need to be done in a macOS release rather than an iOS release.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 12, 2018 03:04PM
I've heard that. And my reaction is "Ugh". More tablet-ification.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 12, 2018 03:23PM
GGD
sekker

[bgr.com]

Seems like that would need to be done in a macOS release rather than an iOS release.

It’s a two-way process. Ios12 might not be sufficient but making it possible is a key step.

I wonder if this is the real reason behind the under the hood changes in HS.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 12, 2018 03:33PM
Unified release of iOS 14, for both Mac and mobile.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 12, 2018 03:43PM
sekker
GGD
sekker

[bgr.com]

It’s a two-way process. Ios12 might not be sufficient but making it possible is a key step.

I wonder if this is the real reason behind the under the hood changes in HS.

For the consumer I would think that needing iOS 12 or even needing an iPhone would not be necessary to run iOS apps on a Mac. It would presumably be an App store and macOS change.

It may be that starting with iOS apps that are designed for / require iOS 12, the developers have the added ability to build them for macOS deployment too, similar to how they could build for 32/64 bit, or iPhone / iPad. Or like the old Mac OS "FAT" applications that could run on 68K/PowerPC, or PowerPC/x86.

Whatever it is, it will likely become clearer at WWDC later in the year.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 12, 2018 03:53PM
It would be nice if the interfaces in messages worked the same way on iOS and macOS.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 12, 2018 05:22PM
cbelt3

I agree. It sounds like a way to deep-six the MacOS. And I know that Apple is, like, 9/10ths iOS now. But I know Mac and being a curmudgeonly old codger, I don't want to have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to using iOS on a desktop.

(Or maybe it's just allowing apps to run inside a "box" in MacOS, which seems like something that should be possible. But why? Does anyone really want this?)
Date: February 12, 2018 05:37PM
pdq
cbelt3

I agree. It sounds like a way to deep-six the MacOS. And I know that Apple is, like, 9/10ths iOS now. But I know Mac and being a curmudgeonly old codger, I don't want to have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to using iOS on a desktop.

(Or maybe it's just allowing apps to run inside a "box" in MacOS, which seems like something that should be possible. But why? Does anyone really want this?)

In some cases these apps might be like what Widgets were supposed to be. Some might even be useful, like airline apps that can be easier/faster to navigate than their website.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 12, 2018 06:08PM
I don't know why that author ties it into iOS 12. That whole post is like: "Here's some stuff from several weeks back that I'm going to regurgitate as if it's cutting-edge news..."

It came out at the last developer conference that they're working on authoring of fat apps that can run on both platforms and then Bloomberg reported in January that they working to have it ready by fall.

You'll likely hear more in June at the developer conference unless they're so overwhelmed with bug fixes that they have to move it back. Allegedly, they're going to be a little less rigid about shipping new features on a schedule in the hope that it leads to fewer embarrassing slip-ups like that stupid root exploit in HS.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 15, 2018 10:46PM
MacOS, can/had run MacOS9 (in emulation) PowerPC Apps (Rosetta) and can currently run Windows/Unix in virtualization. I don't see a technical reason why iOS could not run in a window/enviroment, since according to Steve Jobs, the iPhone runs on Mac OS X! Intel Chips can emulate PPC, so why not emulate Apple A-series/Arm chips?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 278
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015