Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
US teacher dies after opting out of 'costly' flu medicine
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 12, 2018 07:43PM
[www.bbc.com]

A US school teacher has died from flu complications after deciding to forgo anti-viral medication because it "costs too much", her husband tells US media.

Heather Holland, 38, had taught at a Texas school before her death last Sunday. She leaves behind a husband and two young children.

Her husband bought the Tamiflu medicine for $116 (£84) a day before she went to hospital, but it was too late.

Experts think the current flu outbreak may be one of the worst in US history.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: US teacher dies after opting out of 'costly' flu medicine
Posted by: billb
Date: February 12, 2018 08:04PM
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Tamiflu, or the generic oseltamivir, is one of three such drugs the CDC has endorsed for treating this year's flu.

But every year, reports of terrifying neurological side effects emerge.

Earlier this month, a six-year-old girl on Tamiflu tried to jump out of a window, and an 11-year-old - also in Texas - told her father that the devil's voice was in her head.

And last week, a two-year-old boy from Texas was left hallucinating, twitching, and picking at imaginary pains on his arms.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 08:05PM by billb.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 12, 2018 08:09PM
Tamiflu would likely have had no effect. Placebos are better.

Tamiflu has not been proven to have a positive impact on the potential consequences (such as hospitalizations, mortality, or economic impact) of seasonal, avian, or pandemic influenza.

And per other sources, she did not balk at the high price. She balked at the necessity of paying for any medication because she was "frugal."

Question is, did she have a flu shot? That is not answered in any of the stories I've seen.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 12, 2018 08:09PM
once again, if the odds of dying from the disease are 1 on 1000, and odds of issues from the cure are 1 in 10,000, you take the cure.

Same idea as many innoculations.
Date: February 12, 2018 08:26PM
Found it...

Yes, she had the flu shot.

But she also had a weakened immune system. Complications after child birth and a hysterectomy.

This is a whole different kind of tragedy. Five kids...

Was struck by two flu strains at once and quickly developed sepsis. Then MRSA which hit her major organs hard, shutting down her kidneys.

Tamiflu would have done precisely jack and squat.

...Had just gone back to work. One of her students had the flu a week before she came down with it.

I hope they don't publish his/her name.

Posted by: billb
Date: February 12, 2018 08:27PM
Sarcany
Tamiflu would likely have had no effect. Placebos are better.

Tamiflu has not been proven to have a positive impact on the potential consequences (such as hospitalizations, mortality, or economic impact) of seasonal, avian, or pandemic influenza.

And per other sources, she did not balk at the high price. She balked at the necessity of paying for any medication because she was "frugal."

Question is, did she have a flu shot? That is not answered in any of the stories I've seen.

What flu shot ?
There was a flu shot for the particular flu she had ?
When have they ever guessed right for any particular strain of flu ?
Not "likely", not "close", not " maybe".
The exact specific one.
The exact specific one needed.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 12, 2018 08:29PM
What we really need is a more modern method of producing the flu vaccine, a method that allows for starting production at a later date so that the "match" is more likely to be correct. Recombinant technology?
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: February 12, 2018 08:35PM
She bought Tamiflu the day after she was diagnosed. The headline is very deceptive.
[www.dallasnews.com]

She went to the doctor on Wednesday.
Starting taking Tamiflu on Thursday.
Went to the hospital on Friday.
She passed away on Sunday morning.
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 12, 2018 08:38PM
<<<The headline is very deceptive. >>>

space-time .
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 12, 2018 08:47PM
chopper

space-time .

I saw this on BBC. Write to BBC if you don't like the headline. Also feel free to ignore my posts.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 12, 2018 08:58PM
freeradical
What we really need is a more modern method of producing the flu vaccine, a method that allows for starting production at a later date so that the "match" is more likely to be correct. Recombinant technology?

They ARE working on it. I saw a news report on it within the last month or so. Looks like shortening the lead time by 3-4 months within the next few years. Its working in mice, and about twice as effective, because they can guess more accurately, closer to the season.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 12, 2018 09:53PM
The scientists making vaccines are heroes. They don’t get fame for making faster vaccines, they make very little money personally, and their work is always under political attack and they suffer charges from ignorant people.

Despite cuts to the nih and cdc, there is progress on faster flu vaccines, and even ideas for a more universal vaccine.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 12, 2018 10:12PM
Sarcany
Found it...

But she also had a weakened immune system. Complications after child birth and a hysterectomy.

Was struck by two flu strains at once and quickly developed sepsis. Then MRSA which hit her major organs hard, shutting down her kidneys.

...Had just gone back to work. One of her students had the flu a week before she came down with it.

um. Are we talking about Heather Holland? She had two kids, youngest age 7. I don't know her medical history but "complications of child birth" doesn't seem like the culprit.

[www.weatherforddemocrat.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 12, 2018 10:32PM
sekker
The scientists making vaccines are heroes. They don’t get fame for making faster vaccines, they make very little money personally, and their work is always under political attack and they suffer charges from ignorant people.

Despite cuts to the nih and cdc, there is progress on faster flu vaccines, and even ideas for a more universal vaccine.

Can't we get the private sector to work on this instead of those lazy, hack gov't employees who have nothing to gain from working hard?

/sarc
Date: February 12, 2018 11:07PM
Lemon Drop
Sarcany
Found it...

um. Are we talking about Heather Holland? She had two kids, youngest age 7. I don't know her medical history but "complications of child birth" doesn't seem like the culprit.

Cr@p.

You're right. I screwed up.

Sorry. I confused her with someone else in the headlines.

This one is Crystal Whitley and she's still alive by all accounts I've found tonight, albeit critical and on life-support.

Very sorry for confusing those two stories. Didn't read carefully enough when I did a Google news search for "texas teacher flu."

FWIW, here's the UK's take on Crystal:
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: February 12, 2018 11:09PM
So... still don't know whether Heather Holland got a flu shot or what type of flu she contracted.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 12, 2018 11:20PM
space-time
chopper

space-time .

I saw this on BBC. Write to BBC if you don't like the headline. Also feel free to ignore my posts.

your headline is correct.

Holland, 38, who was otherwise healthy when she fell ill with the flu last week and went to the doctor Wednesday. Holland was prescribed Tamiflu but did not initially purchase it because she felt the cost was too high, according to her husband.

Her husband purchased Tamiflu later that day but her condition worsened. Holland was hospitalized in the ICU Friday evening but became septic and died Sunday morning, according to her family.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 12, 2018 11:21PM
I had a flu shot in October. In December I got one strain of the flu and was sick for three weeks. In January I got another strain and was sick for two weeks. Very sick. Close to “ I need to go to the hospital “ sick. I have a damaged respiratory system but my immune system is pretty strong.

This year has been a very bad flu season. People who are immunodeficient or have respiratory issues are at severe risk.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 13, 2018 04:51PM
cbelt3
I had a flu shot in October. In December I got one strain of the flu and was sick for three weeks. In January I got another strain and was sick for two weeks. Very sick. Close to “ I need to go to the hospital “ sick. I have a damaged respiratory system but my immune system is pretty strong.

This year has been a very bad flu season. People who are immunodeficient or have respiratory issues are at severe risk.

Wow, sorry. But I'm glad you're still with us!

Posted by: 3d
Date: February 13, 2018 07:37PM
According to the CDC, this flu season 53 kids under the age of 18 have died in the U.S.
80% of these kids were not vaccinated.

Cbelt3,
Even if the vaccine doesn’t prevent the flu altogether, it does lessen the symptoms that can cause death.
You'd probably be dead if you didn't get that shot in Oct. Wash your hands more often.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018