advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sound off?!.....Consumer Reports compares HomePod sound......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 12, 2018 09:55PM
.....to Google Home Max and Sonos One........both have better sound than the HomePod....

Consumer Reports: Google Home Max and Sonos One Sound Better Than HomePod

.....Consumer Reports has conducted some early audio testing of the HomePod, and while the full evaluation isn't yet finished, the site believes that both the $400 Google Home Max and the $200 Sonos One sound better than Apple's new $349 smart speaker.

The HomePod received a "Very Good" sound quality rating, as did the Sonos One and the Google Home Max, but the latter two speakers also received higher overall sound quality scores.

Consumer Reports says that its speaker tests are conducted in a dedicated listening room, with experienced testers who compare each model with "high-quality reference speakers." In the case of the HomePod, testers found a few issues.

The bass was "boomy and overemphasized," while midrange tones were "somewhat hazy," and treble sounds were "underemphasized." Overall, Consumer Reports found the HomePod's sound to be "a bit muddy" when played next to the Sonos One and the Google Home Max.

"The HomePod will serve many music fans well, but CR testers did hear some flaws. The HomePod's bass was a bit boomy and overemphasized. And the midrange tones were somewhat hazy, meaning that some of the nuance in vocals, guitars, and horns was lost: These elements of the music couldn't be heard as distinctly as in more highly rated speakers. Treble sounds, like cymbals, were underemphasized. But the HomePod played reasonably loudly in a midsized room."

All three smart speakers "fall significantly short" of other wireless speakers Consumer Reports has tested, like the Edifier S1000DB, priced at $350.

The HomePod's sound has been highly praised both by new HomePod owners and by media sites that tested the device ahead of its release. While Consumer Reports doesn't believe the HomePod outshines the Google Home Max and the Sonos One, other reviews have disagreed, including an extensive, in-depth review published by a self-professed audiophile earlier this morning.

not the best sound.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sound off?!.....Consumer Reports compares HomePod sound......
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 12, 2018 10:24PM
Newton,

One criticism of the Consumer Reports evaluation is that they tested the HomePod in a "professional" setting in the best of conditions rather than a "home" setting where there could be walls and such that could impact the performance.

Meaning, if they'd tested it in a more home-like setting, the HomePod would use its adaptive system to account for an adapt to its surroundings to maximum effect to perform its best. I understand the idea but I'm not convinced enough to buy assessment. If the HomePod can't work its magic properly under the best of circumstances, it kinda makes me wonder how it could do so under inferior circumstances.

'course, I'm also not in the market for a HomePod. Rather, I'd stick with my Echo Dot and connect/pair to a good quality - not audiophile quality - just a good quality external speaker. Good enough for me and _far_ less expensive.

Robert
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 12, 2018 10:41PM
The lack of audio input is a limiter for me as is the Siri only control. Siri doesn’t work well for me in most circumstances so I’m skeptical this would be a good experience.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 12, 2018 11:24PM
I think that Apple is going to say that they tested it improperly.

The Consumer Reports test didn't play to the unit's strength.

From the video, they tested it on a bench set in towards the middle of the room.

Apple's "room-sensing" tech is designed to bounce the audio off of nearby walls to optimize sound based upon its environment. It's a serious design flaw for a small percentage of the market as I'm sure that some few people will want to put it out on a coffee table or somesuch. For most people, however, it's likely to sit on a desk or end-table or countertop within a few inches of a wall where it can then "sense" the room's audio qualities and adapt.

...Of course, one might reasonably argue that the test is standardized and if they only tested each unit based upon its best features the results would be greatly skewed and of little value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 11:25PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 13, 2018 12:22AM
Given that EVERY OTHER review of the HomePod states that its sound beats the pants off all its competitors and given that today's CR is not the CR of yore, I'm going to take this one with a grain of salt.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 13, 2018 12:26AM
Ditto. Most of what I heard had suggested the HomePod is actually a wunderkind of a speaker.

Here's one source:

Reddit Audiophiles Test HomePod, Say It Sounds Better Than $1,000 Speaker [apple.slashdot.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 12:28AM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: February 13, 2018 07:35AM
CR has NEVER treated Apple products fairly. They go out of their way to find something bad to say.

Using Airplay 2 (when it is released) is supposed to allow you to use the iTunes Equalizer for tweaking the HomePod.

I'll see if I can find it.

Equaliizer

Kirkville

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 07:56AM by WHiiP.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 13, 2018 10:13AM
CR’s “Silent Room” is impressive. When sealed inside, if you listen carefully, you can hear your own heartbeat. boink smiley
Posted by: richorlin
Date: February 13, 2018 10:45AM
Considering the HomePod is locked to Apple Music, I'm not willing to spend $350 on a one-note product. At least with Sonos you can play anything you want, and it's $150 cheaper. When they are on sale, I can buy two for the same price as a HomePod and set them up in stereo.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 13, 2018 11:45AM
davemchine
The lack of audio input is a limiter for me as is the Siri only control. Siri doesn’t work well for me in most circumstances so I’m skeptical this would be a good experience.

You can absolutely control HomePod by using your iPhone as a remote controller (and I don't mean via AirPlay). I don't know why Apple didn't make this more apparent in their marketing of the HomePod b/c of many users Siri concerns. Apple buried the instructions in the HomePod User Guide right here:

[help.apple.com]

Again, this is NOT using AirPlay - you are actually controlling what is streaming down to the HomePod from the cloud with your iPhone.

I have a HomePod and can confirm that this works great.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2018 01:47PM
Other than Apple headphones, Apple hasn't done well with speakers. While the HomePod might sound okay, I think there will be a clone at a quarter of the price. Will Apple allow access through third party BT devices?

I was underwhelmed by the original iPod but it became a hit. I currently don't see what a HomePod will do for the Apple Store. Am I missing some application... have they partnered with a delivery service yet? Siri, emergency toilet paper order! Finally a reason to allow a Walmart employee inside my house. smiley-laughing001

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 13, 2018 01:52PM
NewtonMP2100
.....to Google Home Max and Sonos One........both have better sound than the HomePod....

Good one, Newt!

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2018 01:57PM
pinkoos
[help.apple.com]

Again, this is NOT using AirPlay - you are actually controlling what is streaming down to the HomePod from the cloud with your iPhone.

I have a HomePod and can confirm that this works great.

Control playback

You can use the Apple Music app on your iOS device to control the sound volume, play what you want to hear, and add or remove songs from the Up Next queue.

See what’s playing now, and next. Open Apple Music, then tap the HomePod playback controls. If you don’t see the HomePod controls, on the Now Playing screen, tap the AirPlay button, then choose HomePod.

Choose what’s next. After choosing HomePod in the Apple Music app, tap Library, For You, Browse, Radio, or Search to find music to play. You can choose to play an item next or add it to the end of the Up Next queue.

Use the Control Center. Open Control Center, press (or touch and hold) Now Playing to expand it, then tap your HomePod.

How does this work if you don't have your iPhone/iPad with you? Will it work with the new ATV? How is this better than any other BT speaker?

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: February 13, 2018 02:01PM
richorlin
Considering the HomePod is locked to Apple Music

HomePod is AirPlay-compatible.

Sonos…it's $150 cheaper

Huh? Why not compare it to an Echo Dot which is $310 cheaper?

Like-for-like, richorlin…
Date: February 13, 2018 02:14PM
testcase
CR’s “Silent Room” is impressive. When sealed inside, if you listen carefully, you can hear your own heartbeat. boink smiley

I can hear my own heartbeat in my living room at home - with the TV and stereo off, of course.

It is what it is.
Date: February 13, 2018 02:17PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Other than Apple headphones, Apple hasn't done well with speakers.

Hello! Beats? Not created by Apple, but don't believe for a second that Apple hasn't made a mint from the Beats product line since purchasing the company.

My guess would be a lot of the technology that went into the HomePod originated at Beats.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2018 02:22PM
....Tell-Tale Heart......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 13, 2018 03:57PM
N-OS X-tasy!
My guess would be a lot of the technology that went into the HomePod originated at Beats.

Your guess is very likely wrong—Apple started working on HomePod about six years ago:

[www.loopinsight.com]
Date: February 13, 2018 04:54PM
[tingilinde.typepad.com]
"The HomePod uses seven small speakers arranged in a ring…The HomePod also has a ring shaped array of six microphones. They listen to the room (sample it) at a fairly high rate and decide what parts of the music, from its stereo signature, need to go where and how it needs be modified to interact with the room and everything in it…several people I know who are real experts at this have been at Apple for years

"The HomePod didn’t match the reference speakers when I was sitting at the sweet spot, but was better when I moved around the room. That is astounding. It was creating stereo – a term has nothing to do with a pair of anything, but rather three dimensional. Moving beams of audio around it was painting a sound field in my living room."

[www.reddit.com]
"The room correction applied after probing its own position isn’t simplistic DSP of frequency response, as the speaker has seven drivers that are used to create a beamforming speaker array, so they can direct specific sound in specific directions. The only other speakers that do this is the Beolab 90, and Lexicon SL-1. The Beolab 90 is $85,000/pair, and no price tag is set for the Lexicon, but the expectation in the industry is 'astronomical'."
Date: February 13, 2018 05:16PM
This one's for you, Newt!:

[www.applemust.com]
"It is interesting that despite claiming to be running full tests, Consumer Reports isn’t testing Apple’s most technologically advanced HomePod feature at all. Apple has developed really smart technology that empowers its device with the capacity to adjust audio output in real-time for better results in whatever space it happens to be in…'That’s not a feature we evaluated,' they say."

Sheesh!

…and further:

"It’s weird to me that a title that says it cares about consumers seems utterly blind to the importance of privacy and security in people’s lives. Amazon and Google solutions are incredibly weak in this in comparison to those you’ll get from Apple."
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 13, 2018 06:13PM
For the record, I bought this HomePod to replace a Sonos Play 5. I have multiple Sonos speakers and they are great and everything, but we're tied into the Apple ecosystem (including a family plan for Apple Music) and the HomePod makes it so easy now to play whatever we want. Before, we had to either go into the Sonos app to play Apple Music or AirPlay to the Play 5 (I had it connected to an Airport Express via line in jack).

Now, we can use Siri or the Apple Music app to direct play to the HomePod (again, no AirPlay required).

Siri has it's issues for sure, but for music it has been pretty good. We have a tiny Echo Dot sitting right next to the HomePod that we use for all queries other than music.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 13, 2018 07:11PM
Furthermore, I would say that wIth as much effort Apple has invested in perfecting the acoustic qualities of the HomePod, any functional issues are just going to improve with time (think iPhone, iPod, etc.).
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 14, 2018 12:51PM
Carnos Jax
Furthermore, I would say that wIth as much effort Apple has invested in perfecting the acoustic qualities of the HomePod, any functional issues are just going to improve with time (think iPhone, iPod, etc.).

Agreed, I have been thinking and saying the same. Siri can be improved by leaps and bounds but once you have purchased a piece of hardware like a speaker you are not going to be able to change that down the road.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 16, 2018 10:34PM
davemchine

Agree! At that price, with an A8, it should have AppleTV functionality built in! An Aux/Optical jack would finish the rest. Bluetooth would be superfluous since most purchasers already have Apple Tech!

It would be a perfect bedroom speaker for the wife, who loves to sleep with music going.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 255
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015