advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
photographers: apple's photo raw or adobe's acr/dng or something else?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: February 13, 2018 08:35AM
photo takers:

what do you use (and why) to transform your raw images into post processing capable files?

i know that apple's photo can open raw files but is that conversion accurate?

does the adobe product's acr/dng do a "better" job?

capture one?

dxo?

do they all do the same thing and i'm spending too much time re-thinking issues long settled?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: photographers: apple's photo raw or adobe's acr/dng or something else?
Posted by: archipirata
Date: February 13, 2018 08:49AM
Can't speak to the Photo application as I havn't used it but I use Capture one, Lightroom and ACR daily depending on the particular workflow of the project and they all work perfectly fine with raw images straight from the camera, it's what they are designed to do and they all do primarily the same thing with minor differences.

Athens, OH
Posted by: DP
Date: February 13, 2018 08:51AM
I've used PS for 25+ years and am pretty locked into it. But my professional work involves post processing to fit the client's requirements and non-professionals don't need what I use. So there are many imaging programs that are much cheaper that can do the job. On1, DxO, Adobe Elements, e.g., can process RAW files. Usually you can get trial periods for these so I'd say play with a few and see if one works best for you.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 13, 2018 08:53AM
I settled into Adobe ACR via Lightroom and Photoshop a while back..

At first I wasn't happy with Adobe ACR but it's been quite good for a while now.

Another RAW processor I love is Iridient's RAW Developer..they might have changed the name at this point..great product but you do have to do a back and forth between PS and RAW Developer..

In the last two years, because I got tired of that back and forth, I've settled into
Adobe's RAW rendering..It's just fine for my needs.

That all said..I hate Adobe's licensing policies and that they don't offer ACR new camera updates till you buy a newer product..The DNG conversion thing is a major pain in the ass for me...in a zone where I don't have to do this right now..staying there for as long as i can..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 08:54AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 13, 2018 09:00AM
When I was regularly editing my staffers work, I found On1 to be my personal preference.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 13, 2018 09:30AM
My main beef with Capture One is that I bought version 10 on sale around Thanksgiving, and when the new version appeared two weeks later, they offered no reduced or free upgrades for recent recently purchased licenses. So I am not feeling positive about the company. Not sure if I want to invest time in getting familiar with their app.

I have DxO, but haven’t tried the most recent app yet.

My cameras shoot DNG, and I’ve been processing those images using Bridge.
Date: February 13, 2018 11:08AM
thanks for the sharing.

my question was whether apple's raw conversion engine within it's application "photos" produced the same or similar results to adobe's raw efforts and other raw conversion engines.

does anyone think which app you use to open a raw image-just open not edit-makes a heck of a difference or are those difference too subtle to notice or care?

thanks in advance redeux winking smiley

be well.

rob
Posted by: DP
Date: February 13, 2018 01:17PM
Every camera company has their own version of RAW and the algorithm isn't very different. There should really be a standard RAW but why everyone wants to stick with their own surprises me. Adobe has tried to make their .dng format the standard (and as ka jowct tells us, some cameras do have that as an option) but not every maker has added that to their products.

The DNG conversion thing is a major pain in the ass for me

How? You just tell DNG Converter what images you want to convert to .dng and it does it. What issues are you having with it?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 13, 2018 01:24PM
DP
Every camera company has their own version of RAW and the algorithm isn't very different. There should really be a standard RAW but why everyone wants to stick with their own surprises me. Adobe has tried to make their .dng format the standard (and as ka jowct tells us, some cameras do have that as an option) but not every maker has added that to their products.

The DNG conversion thing is a major pain in the ass for me

How? You just tell DNG Converter what images you want to convert to .dng and it does it. What issues are you having with it?

I used the DNG with my old comp..I didn't like going through two deals to get my photos in..download and then into DNg converter..Why? is it a built in now?

I don't have to do it anymore..Straight into Lightroom..

Rob..sorry..zero experience with RAW conversion in 'Photos'..dont even really know what 'photos' is..lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 01:26PM by Kraniac.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 13, 2018 02:15PM
converting to dng makes no sense any more unless you are going to swim in the Adobe poole xclusively forever.
How many camera manuf support adobe's supposed 'open standard ? Leica. Anybody else ?
You can enbed the original RAW file in a dng but now your file size is almost double what it was originally. HD space may be cheap but why bother ?

When you can just use the original RAW file ?

DNG was supposed to save space but it never really did.
Maybe 10% on a good day. Valuable to some when we had 60GB hard drives.

Beyond Adobe's hype I see no real advantage to a dng file.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 13, 2018 02:56PM
When it comes to RAW I always thought the benefit was that you didn't need to save your exposure and color adjustment changes to the actual original file, but to a separate .XML file which could be changed again and again. Going to an editable image (retouching, layering etc..) I just save as PSD and work on that, although if you are afraid of getting locked into Adobe you can always do layered TIFFs.
Date: February 14, 2018 08:14AM
again, thanks all for the sharing.

be well.

rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015