advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Transistor radio recommendations?
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 13, 2018 02:41PM
I like hanging outside with the cats in the morning and enjoy listening to NPR on a transistor radio to pass the time. Current one is an old analog Radio Shack model, lots of bands, and small enough that two thirds will fit in my shirt pocket. Which is part of the problem since it has fallen out of my pocket a number of time through the years and is showing its age with floppy antenna syndrome plus rubber band assisted battery cover. It does run well on 3 AA Enloops.

Any suggestions for a replacement? Thanks!

=wr=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Transistor radio recommendations?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 13, 2018 02:44PM
I don't know nothin' 'bout no radios... but I know where I'd look for one.
[www.ccrane.com]

Local-to-me company (about 20 miles south of me), and getting a reputation for excellent quality radios.
May or may not have what you need for a price you want to pay.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 13, 2018 02:51PM
Thank Paul. I used to hear their commercials when I listened to KGO before the big fire-off of on air talent a few years ago. Thanks for jogging my memory!

AM is a good feature for baseball games too...

=wr=
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 13, 2018 02:54PM
wave rider
I like hanging outside with the cats in the morning and enjoy listening to NPR on a transistor radio to pass the time. Current one is an old analog Radio Shack model, lots of bands, and small enough that two thirds will fit in my shirt pocket. Which is part of the problem since it has fallen out of my pocket a number of time through the years and is showing its age with floppy antenna syndrome plus rubber band assisted battery cover. It does run well on 3 AA Enloops.

Any suggestions for a replacement? Thanks!

A post about hanging outside with the cats listening to a transistor radio? If not for the reference to "analog" and "Eneloops," I'd think you were caught in some kind of time warp.
Posted by: jonny
Date: February 13, 2018 02:59PM
We have one of these, and the sound is impressive for the size.
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 02:59PM by jonny.
Date: February 13, 2018 03:00PM
datbeme
A post about hanging outside with the cats listening to a transistor radio? If not for the reference to "analog" and "Eneloops," I'd think you were caught in some kind of time warp.

smiley-laughing001

Sad but true...

=wr=
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 13, 2018 03:09PM
Amazon has a bunch of no-name brands from $12-25(ish). Some good feedback on some, but who knows...

Before I started listening to NPR podcasts on my iPhone I used to buy a $12 transistor radio from Best Buy and use it until I dropped it enough times out of my pocket to break it. Then I'd start again.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 13, 2018 03:51PM
I stream NPR on my phone.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 13, 2018 03:53PM
I have used an old Eton handheld crank radio for many years, despite dropping it, breaking off the antenna, and generally mistreating it. Still it lives. I would that I could easily replace the antenna, but the radio itself has been worthwhile. I looked into replacing it not too long ago, and it looked like they were only selling a version branded as a Red Cross emergency radio.... Like an older version of that.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 13, 2018 03:58PM
If you have an old iPod lying around, you might be set already.

My old iPod (Nano Video 16GB?) has an FM receiver built in. I mostly use it for audiobooks though.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2018 04:48PM
.....one doesn't need a transistor radio to hear voices in the head......they are free.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: numbered
Date: February 13, 2018 05:53PM
My wife is very happy with this Panasonic...
Posted by: DP
Date: February 13, 2018 07:46PM
[www.amazon.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2018 07:56PM
What price and how big?

The 9 Best Shortwave Radios [Wiki.ezvid.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 13, 2018 08:57PM
Thank you all, some intriguing suggestions. I have some studying to do. It is going to be some combination of sound quality, size, price, tuner quality, and something I have not thought of yet.

I have used my phone to stream the radio but prefer to burn its battery posting here. A friend gave me a clickwheel iPod with the add on FM tuner, the wires proved too fragile in the long term.

I do like hanging with the cats, they are boon companions. Using a speaker instead of headphones has some advantages for us. The lads find Terri Gross's voice very soothing... I'm kidding!

A speaker announces human presence and frees up my ears to hear coyotes or bobcats, there be a fair number of each around here. Less paranoidly, I get to hear all the birds better too. Very fond of red tailed hawk screeching.

=wr=
Posted by: jonny
Date: February 13, 2018 09:01PM
This looks interesting... [www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015