advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
cant get a .mac email anymore?
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 13, 2018 04:46PM
I was smart enough to get a good .mac email for my son when he was born, but forgot to get one for my daughter.

She is now 14 and I got her an iPad for high school next year and we set up a new AppleID for her. I figured how to create an email, but looks like a .mac or .me is no longer available.

Did I miss something?

JPK
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: cant get a .mac email anymore?
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 13, 2018 05:02PM
Its now .me

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 13, 2018 05:02PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 13, 2018 05:15PM
I had a .mac email address. Then after Apple changed to the silly.me I tried to access it. Turned out they had given it to some other 'mrlynn' in England! Though I hadn't been using it, I was annoyed.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 13, 2018 05:23PM
Geez, I don't think a .mac address has been available for years.

I had one, for email, but that got shut down, IIRC. The mac.com email address is still my Apple ID though.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: February 13, 2018 05:31PM
jdc
Its now .me

I think it's .icloud now. I still have my .mac and I can get email at .mac, .me and .icloud. They let you keep your .mac from the old days, but it's not available anymore.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 13, 2018 05:41PM
mstudio
jdc
Its now .me

I think it's .icloud now. I still have my .mac and I can get email at .mac, .me and .icloud. They let you keep your .mac from the old days, but it's not available anymore.

LOL, tells you how far out we are.

wife and kids have .mac emails, they still work fine. Got in early on .mac and got good ones -- cindyandbob @mac. com and cindyjones @ mac.com (names were changed to protect the innocent)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 13, 2018 06:03PM
Get a good gmail account name for your daughter. It's just as good.

I'm squatting on gmails for both my kids.

JaneSmith@gmail.com for the daughter.
JohnASmith@gmail.com for the son. Had to stick a middle initial in there.
(Names genericized)
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 13, 2018 06:16PM
mrlynn
I had a .mac email address. Then after Apple changed to the silly.me I tried to access it. Turned out they had given it to some other 'mrlynn' in England! Though I hadn't been using it, I was annoyed.

/Mr Lynn

The same thing happened to me too! And I bet it went to England also!

What was truly messed up was that supposedly I could still use my .mac e-mail for AIM, but I had lost it for e-mail since I wasn't paying for it during the time of the transition to .me.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 13, 2018 06:23PM
Gareth
mrlynn

/Mr Lynn

What was truly messed up was that supposedly I could still use my .mac e-mail for AIM, but I had lost it for e-mail since I wasn't paying for it during the time of the transition to .me.

I’m annoyed for both of you! :-)

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 06:24PM by Ammo.
Date: February 13, 2018 06:24PM
In hindsight, I should've paid to keep my yankees@mac.com address during the switch in 2000(?). And oh yeah,, i should've bought some more AAPL shares back then too sad smiley
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 13, 2018 08:52PM
Gareth
mrlynn

/Mr Lynn

I've had several family mac.com addresses that also inherited the me.com and icloud.com variants when they became available, but we just give out the mac.com form.

Lately I've been getting email being sent to the icloud.com variant of one of them for some guy in, you guessed it, England. He even setup an Amazon.co.uk account and gave them my email address and I got an order confirmation recently. I suspect that he really has a different iCloud account and is constantly misspelling it to get mine. His first and middle name concatenated forms my username.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: February 13, 2018 09:16PM
I kept my .mac address and still use it all the time. You have to be grandfathered in, I think. But she can have an icloud address. As with mstudio above, I can now use .mac, .me, or .icloud. They seem to be some sort of aliases for the same account.

wikipedia
An iCloud account includes an email account, much like MobileMe, .Mac, and iTools did previously. Unlike MobileMe and its previous iterations, an email address is an optional part of an iCloud account, in that the user can choose not to use it but can still use the email as their iCloud Apple ID. The email account can be accessed using any standard IMAP-compatible email client, as well as the online web app mail client at the iCloud.com. Additionally, on an iOS device, iCloud email is push-enabled.

Users converting existing MobileMe accounts to iCloud accounts kept their existing "@me.com" email addresses, and users whose accounts pre-dated MobileMe and had both me.com and mac.com email addresses kept both. As with the .Mac to MobileMe transition, existing users get to keep their old addresses and also get a matching new iCloud.com address, so messages sent to a valid account with multiple addresses all end up in the same inbox.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 14, 2018 12:14AM
I still use my @mac.com address for everything, but emails sent to the same @me.com and @icloud.com all come to my @mac.com mailbox, FWIW.

My wife got one right near the end of the @mac.com era. By the time my kids were getting email addresses we were in the MobileMe era, so theirs is @me.com (and same for them with using the @icloud.com versions as well).

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 14, 2018 07:28AM
....as usual.....it's all about .me now..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: zachdog
Date: February 14, 2018 08:43AM
I had a.Mac address that matched my name, but let it go when Apple started charging. When I signed up for a .me address, Apple had given away my name, even though it had originally been attached to.Mac. I was frustrated but I couldn’t resurrect the old address, but that’s how it rolls I guess.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 14, 2018 11:54AM
If you do have an older .mac email, is there a practical difference between .me, .mac. and .icloud? This trips me up sometimes with some services. I know I need the iCloud variant for general syncing, but I believe my family sharing setup uses the .mac variant. And while I only use the email address for certain things, I've mixed up some account registrations using a combination of all three.

I surrendered a couple of good mac.com email addresses because it didn't make sense to pay for them. I also remember reading an article by Andy Ihnatko lamenting his failure to get andyi@mac.com even thought he tried immediately and owned it on almost every other platform.
Date: February 14, 2018 01:51PM
datbeme
I also remember reading an article by Andy Ihnatko lamenting his failure to get andyi@mac.com even thought he tried immediately and owned it on almost every other platform.

Strangely enough, andyihnatko.com is available. I would think that someone lamenting over a vanity .mac email would jump at the chance to get a FirstNameLastName.com URL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015