advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help with Keychain Access...
Posted by: DP
Date: February 13, 2018 05:30PM
So out of the blue, I can't access my Quicken account. I was just on it the other day and I go to log in and it's denying my password. OK, I make sure I type it correctly (slowly) but no dice. After a few tries, using older passwords too, I go to Keychain Access. I click on Quicken, click on Show Password, and enter my computer password, and nothing happens. The Attributes window just goes back to start. No check in the checkbox to Show Password, nothing. I click again on the checkbox, enter my password, and back to the start. The Attributes window stays open, but it just doesn't work.

Any ideas? I'm going to do a restart of my machine, what the hell, so maybe that might help. TIA.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help with Keychain Access...
Date: February 13, 2018 06:05PM
I got into Quicken finally-some kind of weirdness that a restart fixed. But I would still like to know why KA is acting like it is...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 13, 2018 06:35PM
I've had similar weirdness with passwords lately. I too have NO idea as to what's going on.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 13, 2018 06:58PM
DP
So out of the blue, I can't access my Quicken account. I was just on it the other day and I go to log in and it's denying my password. OK, I make sure I type it correctly (slowly) but no dice. After a few tries, using older passwords too, I go to Keychain Access. I click on Quicken, click on Show Password, and enter my computer password, and nothing happens. The Attributes window just goes back to start. No check in the checkbox to Show Password, nothing. I click again on the checkbox, enter my password, and back to the start. The Attributes window stays open, but it just doesn't work.

Any ideas? I'm going to do a restart of my machine, what the hell, so maybe that might help. TIA.

Usually, that occurs when there's a login name, but no password saved to the keychain. Some apps save the actual password elsewhere or resolve a password using a hash of some sort.

You can test by trying to unlock a second item (try a WiFi/airport login or saved AFP file sharing connection) to view its password. If you see the password for the second item then it's not a malfunction. The first item had an empty password field.

Posted by: btfc
Date: February 14, 2018 01:18AM
Under "Keychain Access" try "Keychain First Aid".
Date: February 14, 2018 06:07AM
K. Thx, all. Again, here's why I come to this forum. What's "AFP?"

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 14, 2018 06:23AM
DP
K. Thx, all. Again, here's why I come to this forum. What's "AFP?"

AFP is Apple's file sharing protocol. SMB is Microsoft's. (Tho Apple is presently transitioning away from AFP to use SMB almost exclusively.)

There's a lot of different types of stuff stored in the keychain and sometimes it's hard to sort through. For example, Apple saves all sorts of weird hashes in the keychain that look like saved passwords for iCloud services, but those are not passwords.

Use the search field in Keychain Access and you can more easily find the kinds of things you're looking for. WiFi passwords are often saved as "airport" passwords, so search for the word "airport" and you'll probably get a good list of all of saved WiFi network passwords. Search for "afp" and you'll get saved passwords for that type of network connection.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018