advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how about "Unlimited vacation"
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 13, 2018 05:56PM
Some companies offer "Unlimited vacation". Here is an example.

What do you think about this policy?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how about "Unlimited vacation"
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 13, 2018 06:08PM
I'm to dum to worka t places liek that. I'll stick to edumacation.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 13, 2018 06:08PM
I have unlimited vacation but nobody pays me...
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 13, 2018 06:18PM
My employer of the last 3+ years has offered this. There's a financial benefit in that since you can't accrue it, there's nothing to pay out when you leave. I enjoy booking trips around what works best for me, not what utilizes my PTO the best. For example, I sometimes I take off a day early to help pack.

It also came in handy last year for surgery and recovery. Although those weren't relaxing for me, I was still able to take time off later in the year for R&R.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 13, 2018 06:19PM
Wonder how long that will last with Ford being a majority owner since last year?
Date: February 13, 2018 06:49PM
M A V I C
My employer of the last 3+ years has offered this. There's a financial benefit in that since you can't accrue it, there's nothing to pay out when you leave. I enjoy booking trips around what works best for me, not what utilizes my PTO the best. For example, I sometimes I take off a day early to help pack.

It also came in handy last year for surgery and recovery. Although those weren't relaxing for me, I was still able to take time off later in the year for R&R.

I would be curious to learn how much is the average vacation at such a company. Do you think people avoid taking too much vacation so they don't draw any attention, and if that is taken to an extreme, then everyone tries to take less vacation than the average per company, and therefore people end up taking less vacation than if they had a fixed number of days?
Date: February 13, 2018 06:51PM
YGPM

Posted by: BernDog
Date: February 13, 2018 07:00PM
Hmm... A workplace where people enjoy their job, don’t dread coming to work, and workers have a personal interest in the success of the company.

Find me a place like that, and I don’t care if vacation is unlimited or not.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 13, 2018 07:41PM
Bezos' Blue Origins had unlimited PTO until a few years ago. A number of former co-workers work there, so I get the inside scoop.

Anyway, one woman, yes 1 single solitary person, was singled out as the one who broke the camel's back and got the policy rescinded. She blew through more than 3 times more than the next closest co-worker. One time she called in and said "I'm just not feeling it this morning"

All it takes is one jerk.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 13, 2018 07:48PM
It's a great concept, but it'd be abused in my work if implemented.
Posted by: Z
Date: February 13, 2018 07:59PM
Racer X
Bezos' Blue Origins had unlimited PTO until a few years ago. A number of former co-workers work there, so I get the inside scoop.

Anyway, one woman, yes 1 single solitary person, was singled out as the one who broke the camel's back and got the policy rescinded. She blew through more than 3 times more than the next closest co-worker. One time she called in and said "I'm just not feeling it this morning"

Give a warning and then let the person go.
Date: February 13, 2018 08:16PM
Z
Racer X

well strictly speaking she did not break any rule. They do say "unlimited" vacation.
Date: February 13, 2018 08:20PM
That would be the reasonable solution.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 13, 2018 09:55PM
space-time
Z
Racer X

well strictly speaking she did not break any rule. They do say "unlimited" vacation.

yeah, that's the problem.

On the other side of the equation you have employers offer "unlimited", but not really allow it, due to how they schedule projects or the unspoken/spoken instructions about what employees really should or shouldn't do in relation to the policy.

My feeling is that if an employer wants to truly be generous, offer a high number of days/weeks off that don't roll over or payout. That way, at least there's a standard by which employees can gauge how much they take.
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 13, 2018 09:57PM
It doesn't say unlimited paid vacation. So YMMV on this "benefit". I freelanced after graduating college. I could take as much time off as I wanted. Booked trips on a whim depending on last-minute airfare deal sites. ...until the rent was due and my cash was running low. Then I went back to work.
Date: February 13, 2018 10:17PM
clay
space-time
Z
Racer X

yeah, that's the problem.

On the other side of the equation you have employers offer "unlimited", but not really allow it, due to how they schedule projects or the unspoken/spoken instructions about what employees really should or shouldn't do in relation to the policy.

My feeling is that if an employer wants to truly be generous, offer a high number of days/weeks off that don't roll over or payout. That way, at least there's a standard by which employees can gauge how much they take.

I feel like there's more to the story. That person must not have had solid role clarity or any sort of performance metrics.

In my case, if I can can get done in two days what others take five days to do, I could take three days off each week. My boss wouldn't care. If it was a high number of set days, then that means low performers get as much time off as top performers.

Not letting PTO accru also forces you to take it. There zero incentive to let it build up. If you have a set number of days, you won't take off as much time as you need. In this state at least, if you offer a set number of days, you have to let it accru or pay it out.

There's no "unspoken" rules. We do have a max on how much time you can take off at one time. Beyond that requires HR approval. Sales does have quotas, and those don't go away. That does act as a forcing function for some to not take a ton of time off. If they don't, no big bonuses or trips to fancy places.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 13, 2018 10:26PM
I have that now. It's called being retired.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 13, 2018 10:27PM
Speedy
I have that now. It's called being retired.

LOL!
Date: February 13, 2018 11:43PM
"I feel like there's more to the story. That person must not have had solid role clarity or any sort of performance metrics. "

In the early days of Blue Origin, that was very much the case. Those who were self driven and could manage themselves did very well. Unfortunately, in the space industry, that isn't common.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 14, 2018 06:58AM
....isn't that called.....unemployment.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 14, 2018 07:33AM
Racer X

That's just bad management. You have to assume that someone will abuse the policy and have a means to address this.

We used to have unlimited sick time. It was useful, but of course, people abused it, so they gave us 8 days of sick/personal time instead.
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 14, 2018 08:10AM
Peer pressure can surprisingly keep unlimited vacation under control, and largely drives vacation numbers down to a "natural" minimum for the organization.

I don't know which is better. I fell we have a fairly liberal leave policy. But lot's of accrual vacation is a fantasy, if you can't take it, controlled by management practices and job assignments. I have use or lose on vacation leave and cannot fit in the allowable allotment most years. I have over 1,800 hours of accrued sick leave, will never use most of it, and cannot cash in more than 240 hours at separation or retirement.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 14, 2018 10:41AM
With project deadlines and my average workload I generally find it difficult to use all my earned leave every year, fortunately I can carry up to 400 hours over to the next year and then plan to use more so that I don't lose any. Having unlimited would not be much of a benefit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 10:41AM by mikebw.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: February 15, 2018 03:05PM
TLB
Peer pressure can surprisingly keep unlimited vacation under control...

Peer pressure!? Is that still allowed in today’s world of “bullying” and “harassment”?

bunny smileyCentral VA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015